2003 BMW 3 Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:
Will not own another BMW
By outdoorzdude on 01/22/12 17:44 PM (PST)

2003 BMW 3 Series 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Never own a BMW out of warranty. I sold my 2003 325i I purchased brand new and maintain impeccably for 150,000 highway miles, kept it 100k miles too long. It’s like they used to say about boats, “the happiest day, is the day you bought it and the day you sell it.” Though that is unfair to boats, as I have a 20 year old boat with a two-stoke Yamaha that has not given me one-tenth the problems this car has and judging from the online forums, I am not alone. Alternators, radiators, water pumps, valve cover gaskets, fuel pumps, window regulators, final stage resistors, seatbelt tensioners, the list goes on and on. Avoid these cars unless you like to work on high tech autos for fun.

I really loved this car
By gabriel2011 on 10/29/11 18:04 PM (PDT)

2003 BMW 3 Series 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I must say, this car was a complete joy to own and drive. This car is a great starter car but the repairs and maintenance can be a bit costly but overall it's a great car and very safe when it comes to accidents (trust me on that one).

Well served. Best car ever
By parico on 08/02/11 14:22 PM (PDT)

2003 BMW 3 Series 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I bought the 325i manual brand new and I put 150K since then. I have never had any major problem in the past 8 years except regular maintenance cost witch sometimes gets costly. for the first 4 years I didn't pay a penny because it was covered under BMW maintenance package and after that I only did the oil change and scheduled maintenance. The trick is not to miss a service due date!! I love it and I'm not gonna replace it with anything else until it dies.

Prepare to Spend
By subroo13 on 07/18/11 18:54 PM (PDT)

2003 BMW 3 Series 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I traded my Honda Accord for a BMW 325i. As long as the car was under warranty, everything - including a car wash was covered. But as soon as the warranty period expired, here are some of the problems that surfaced: 1. AC stopped working - $800 2. Seatbelt Sensor error - $300 3. Ignition Key stopped working - $800 Secondly, there is hardly any storage in the car. The only storage is the trunk. So if you are trading in your Japanese car, set your expectation right - be prepared to compromise on the space, and the overall reliability. German engineering is eloquent as far as the detail on aesthetics of the car. For a car with low maintenance and function, its always a Honda or a Toyota!

Great Car but some odd owners
By shadeogray on 04/20/11 17:36 PM (PDT)

2003 BMW 3 Series 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

This car is an absolute pleasure to drive. The handling and feel of this car is truly impressive. I saw a post where it said there was limited cargo space. That's a total lie. For a car this size the trunk is quite large. Cup holder placement is a bit odd but that's about my only gripe. I find it comical that people buy a high performance foreign car that is known to be expensive to repair, if you did any amount of home work then you would know this. Then they complain when it's expensive to repair, it's like hitting your head with a hammer then getting mad and surprised that your head hurts, you silly people you LOL. Many things I see being reported smack of a shady repair service. Hardly the cars fault. At least half of what you spend at a dealer is for labor costs. Many of these things can easily be fixed by YOU for much less if you ever care to get out a repair manual and a set of tools. O2 sensors, window issues are all child's play. You know if your engine light is on you can go to almost any Auto zone or other such service and as long as your engine light is on they will read the problem for you for free? Why? Because they want to sell you the part to fix it. Granted this does not apply to all of your issues but it does cover a fair amount of you. Be smart, do your home work and pick up a friggen book and a wrench every now and then or get a KIA. I'll be the guy in the BMW zipping past you and laughing. :) Catch you on the flip side!

Transmission
By Original Owner on 10/15/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 BMW 3 Series 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Purchased new in November 2003. Sport and premium package with xenon lights. I took exceptionally good care of the car, always garaged and hardly ever drove it hard.Ignition coil needed replacement at around 10,000 miles and again within 50,000 miles. Front right xenon light went out within 50,000 miles and headlight assembly was replaced. Brakes and discs needed replacement every 25,000 miles. Control arm bushings needed replacement prior to 100,000 miles. Radio replaced at 100,000 miles. Radio dial broke off and radio not working again. Driver side window motor replaced. Now has 125,000 miles and Transmission has issues. Great was car great prior to 100,000 miles.

Worst car I have ever owned!
By Maxtar on 08/05/10 18:55 PM (PDT)

2003 BMW 3 Series 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

It all began in 2003 where we got are BMW we wanted it for a very cheap price because we already bought a 45,000 dollar Volvo XC90 we got manual standard package non leather BMW. In fall 2009 the brakes squeaked and we brought It to a dealer that works on BMW's we had to go to 3 of them and finally they worked . We are very mad at it and we hope to sell it in Aug 2010.

Will never have anything but a BMW!
By Nathan on 07/08/10 10:55 AM (PDT)

2003 BMW 3 Series 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

What more can I say about this fantastic car than it REALLY is the "Ultimate Driving Machine!" Everyone raves about how great the driving experience is, and until you've piloted one, you cannot possibly understand. There is no car for the money that does a better job totally immersing the driver into the drive. The car communicates everything to you through the controls and it constantly amazes me when I point it in a direction and it just goes there without complaining. Sure there are little hiccups here and there. Things are bound to break on a car that's been driven 137,000 miles in just over 7 years. I have never been stranded by my baby. And I always enjoy taking her out for a drive. A++

Love the cars body, hate under the hood
By amfahrni on 05/03/10 14:30 PM (PDT)

2003 BMW 3 Series 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Bought my car used but still with warranty and certified preowned. Had to use the warranty several times to replace many things. Had some problems with the brakes, o2 sensors, lights. Never got the lights resolved. Every time I took it in they said it was fixed but it still reads that I have lights out. Since my warranty expired I have had it brake down on me twice in one month and had to have a huge list of things fixed with a price tag of $2,000 from my friends shop. Which means at any other shop I would never have been able to fix it. Currently it is leaking oil and decides to act up while driving almost daily. The beauty of this cars style is not worth the problems under the hood!

I had wanted a BMW since I was 16
By Alesha on 02/24/10 21:49 PM (PST)

2003 BMW 3 Series 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

This car is phenomenal. I bought my BMW in March of 2009, almost a year ago, and I still love driving it. The only problem that I've had with it was the rear passenger window fell. Luckily it was an easy fix. Now that I've had a BMW, I really can't imagine ever owning anything else. I love it!