Used 2003 BMW 3 Series Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 BMW 3 Series

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

Good dream went bad
By paulbasden

2003 BMW 3 Series 330i Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought a 2003 330i in August 2012 for $8,500. It drove well for 27 months. Then in November 2014 it blew a head gasket at 122K miles. Needs a new engine. I will not but a BMW again.

Favorite Features

Get up and go when you hit the accelerator. Ride on the highway. Zipping around town, in and out of lanes. Premium sound system.

Suggested Improvements

Ride was too rough for me - especially in town.

11 year old BMW 330xi
By tazntwo1

2003 BMW 3 Series 330xi AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I bought this car almost 5 years ago with 88K miles on it. Because of where I worked for 2 years car now has little over 200K. With proper maintenance, changing oil when light comes on after turning off key, I have had virtually NO problems with this car. It runs like the day it came off the showroom floor. You guys saying poor reliability or have tons of repair work on it - did a poor job of inspecting the car before you bought it. The place where I bought the car from took care of every little thing and I had it worked on, at his expense, at two different places, one of which was BMW. I absolutely love my car.

Favorite Features

LOVE the heated seats. A/C still works great after all these years, only had to have it recharged once.

Honest Down To Earth Review
By c_macleod

2003 BMW 3 Series 325xi AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Let me be the first to say buying a BMW out of warranty is a risk, that being said if done properly it's one of the best deals out there. If you have the ability to do your own work, the upkeep isn't that bad at all. I rebuilt the entire front end suspension for $600 (chances are you will have to do this as well, it's a consequence of the suspension design) where a mechanic would have charged over 2k. The 325xi is a slug to be honest, it's heavy and not the best on gas. Oddly though, I have great fun with the car and enjoy being in it very much. Great in snow, very safe, sharp looking, and if you have a level head easy to work on and find parts for without paying dealer prices.

Favorite Features

BMW is very clever with the little things they add that are easy to over look. For example, the driver's door will not lock if it's open whether you're trying to push the lock down manually, or with the remote. When closed, the door locks perfectly. Ever been locked out of your car? it sucks, BMW solved this problem. Between the large trunk, full size spare, ski-bag, built in roof rack mounting points, and spacious interior, this car is a jack of all trades and can tackle most of whatever is thrown at it. But by far the best feature is the AWD. With assisted break and torque transfer to different wheels depending on the traction read by the car, this thing is unstoppable in poor conditions.

Suggested Improvements

Not the best mileage as mentioned, definitely an area for improvement on BMW's end, however it is comparable to AWD competitor cars of its time. Suspension design provides VERY smooth ride, however after 30-40k, the car will need new control arms, bushings, and maybe tierods and strut hats. However this is definitely a DIY job and when doing it, use a Meyle or Lemforder kit, both these companies are BMW part suppliers and you'll get the oem part, it just isn't stamped with the BMW logo, meaning it's MUCH cheaper. This car cannot be run on a stingy budget, when something goes wrong you NEED to fix it. If this is an issue go buy a Honda. This is a higher end car and needs to be treated as such

HORRIBLE GAS MILEAGE: Convertible - Automatic 2003 330Ci
By travelgal1

2003 BMW 3 Series 325Ci Rwd 2dr Convertible (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I did all my research before buying the 2003 a few months back. I thought it would give me good gas mileage; but it is the worse I have ever had. I average 14.3-15.3 mpg. I thought it would be at least 20, 21. I would not have bought if I knew it would be this bad. I have new tires, tune-up, oil change, runs good. So there should be no reason why I'm getting such bad mileage. I like the way the car looks and drives, but sits kind of low to the ground. A bit hard to get in and out of. The convertible top works perfectly and I use often. It costs me $80 to fill up ($4.25 gallon); I work from home and just drive near home to get groceries, bank and take my dog to the park.

Just keeps getting better!
By bogmailer

2003 BMW 3 Series 330Ci Rwd 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I have owned 4 of these 3 series convertibles since 1989 as despite test driving and buying other brands (porsche/Merc/Jag) I keep going back to the 3 series convertible with the straight 6 motor. This car is always a joy to drive, fun and fast and with a tremendous engine sound. My current car a tiptronic 3 ltr is now 8 years old and still runsa like new, is cheap to service and at speed is very nimble unlike modern heavy cars. I keep saying to myself I should trade the car but then I get back in the 3, drop the roof and immediatley start smiling. BMW got it right with this car, it will remain a classic.

Favorite Features

The whole car and driving experience.