2002 BMW 3 Series Consumer Review: My Mother In Law Was Right. D

2002 BMW 3 Series - Consumer Review

330i Sedan (3.0L 6-cyl. 5-speed Manual)

My Mother In Law Was Right. Darn it.
By Jaybear on

2002 BMW 3 Series 330i Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

My mother in law had a bad experience with a BMW in the 1980s, and told me that "BMW" stood for "Break My Wallet" when I drove home my beautiful brand new 2002 330i. Well, she was right. In addition to expensive regular maintenance costs, I paid a staggering $10,000 in post-warranty repairs, including a replacement transmission, broken driver's side window motor, radiator leak, tire rims that mysteriously cracked, headlight control switch, and seat motor. When the car worked, it was gorgeous and fun to drive, but not nearly worth the obscene repair costs. Adding insult to injury, my mother in law's judgment was correct, and I just traded in my BMW and then bought a Lexus like she did.

Drove beautifully (when it wasn't in the shop), classic styling, peppy (both before and after post-warranty transmission replacement of $4500), festive collection of "repair needed" lights in the instrument cluster to mentally prepare you for the cost of your next post-warranty repair.

Reliability and durability receive an F. No car should incur $10,000 in post-warranty repair costs despite religious performance of all scheduled maintenance. Despite how much fun this car was to drive, I cannot recommend BMW to anyone after my horrid experience.