Used 2002 BMW 3 Series Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Bmw 3-series - Consumer Reviews

2002 BMW 3 Series Sedan

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

Best car I have ever owned
By Martin330i

2002 BMW 3 Series Sedan 330i Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I purchased this vehicle new in 2002, with the sport package and premium interior. I've not had a single mechanical problem with it. Just had its 60k mile checkup. They found some minor wear-and-tear issues, nearly all of which were amazingly covered by the extended warranty I purchased. This car has been an absolute joy to own and drive. The performance and handling still put a smile on my face. I never thought I would enjoy an automatic transmission (have always driven stick), but the steptronic works so well, I don't miss the stick at all! I do agree about the tires though - I go through them frequently, especially the rears. Go figure! :-)

Favorite Features

Handling. Performance. Navigation system has changed my life (couldn't live without it anymore).

Suggested Improvements

Fix the brake dust problem! It *does* build up heavily and quickly. Wheels coated with it within a few days of washing. In the 2002 model, if you got the Nav system, then in-dash CD player was not an option (only trunk-mount changer with Nav system). I think only that year though.

2002 BMW 325i Sedan
By MM

2002 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I love the car. I would change a couple of interior design features, but it is exhilarating to drive, gets very good gas mileage for its class and looks great!

Suggested Improvements

Better interior storage options.

Cool Car
By Josh

2002 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I just bought this car 3 days ago and so far it has been a dream to drive. The only thing that I'm having a problem with right now is my engine coolant. It's a little low so water had to be added until the dealer can look at it on Monday. Called him yesterday and he said he knows it's not a major problem, probably just that somebody didn't put enough coolant in the car. Other than that, the car handles great in the curves and has good acceleration for an 184 hp car. I love the way it sounds when you give it a little more gas when accelerating.

Favorite Features

The DSC, the safety features, the red backlight for the cockpit of the car. I also love the way the car looks on the inside. The ride is so smooth and with ease.

Suggested Improvements

I wish it had more power and that an armrest and cupholders for the backseat was standard. I also wish that the car had standard seat heaters at least in the front seats.

great car except...
By recruitsvc

2002 BMW 3 Series Sedan 330xi AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

My first BMW - it has gotten better to drive with age as I have really appreciated the engine acceleration, the handling, the surety of the AWD system. The seats are comfortable and the controls designed to keep your hands on the wheel. What I miss is the console - only a small arm rest with little storage, two cup holders, and a flip up storage area - I end up piling my stuff on the passenger seat, which becomes a pain when someone gets in the car with me - would love more storage space somehow.

Favorite Features

Engine, color, awd, brakes, responsiveness

Suggested Improvements

Storage!

Mistake?
By Stuck in RI

2002 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Bought a 2002 BMW 325i just a week ago. The few times I've been able to drive it have been a treat. Battery issue when I picked it up - it ended up back at the non-BMW dealer a few days later. Anyways, it ran great for a day - the Steptronic transmission is fun for me and the automatic allows my wife to drive it, too. The car is a sweet metallic gray and rides as nice. I'm hoping the problem can be resolved - two days in the shop and they say the fuel pump needs to be replaced before they can begin to diagnose the charging problem. For now, my '94 318is is keeping me consoled while the drama continues

Favorite Features

Steptronic transmission. Auto-dimming rear view mirror keeps high-beaming followers from ruining the driving experience. RDS on the radio gives data like station, song and artist, sports teams playing, etc. Car gets decent gas mileage, too

Suggested Improvements

Hate the side view mirror on the passenger side pointing down when car is in reverse. Will look for a way to override that.