Used 2002 BMW 3 Series Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Bmw 3-series - Consumer Reviews

2002 BMW 3 Series

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

Good car but too many repairs
By slick

2002 BMW 3 Series 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I bought my car in April and I love the way it drives, for a 2.5 it's peppy. I had to replace ball joints and bushings $800. Also had a failed right front suspension spring. $200 fix. The car runs smooth but too many little repairs. Very fun to drive and will recommend purchase with warranty.

Favorite Features

Steptronic transmission. Traction control and stability. Xenon head lights, feature where you can't roll backwards on a hill.

Suggested Improvements

Front end suspension. More HP. Better engineering and a longer warranty.

First 8 months
By Aaron

2002 BMW 3 Series 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I drove a '99 Ford Contour SVT before the 325i, and I am so satisfied that I bought a rear-wheel drive car. I've had two problems when I first bought it. The alternator and reverse-activated rear-view mirror were replaced free of charge, but considering that my last car was about to die on me, they were minor inconveniences. The 190 or so hp (BMW says 184, I don't think so) is used to its fullest extent and doesn't struggle, but if you can afford the near 4-5 grand premium over the 325i for the 330i, get the 330i. The tires are wearing even and the steering, is, I'm lost for words. It's awesome. I will have an update around the 14-16 month period.

Favorite Features

Classic styling. Better looking than the newer 5 and 7 Series. Drives like a small sedan should, but has enough room for bigger guys (6' to 6'2'') even in the back.

Suggested Improvements

No improvements.

German engineering??
By altura

2002 BMW 3 Series 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Bought it brand new, excellent handling and acceleration. As of 07/2007, 60k miles and exterior (metallic blue) looks like new. Interior wood trim and leather trim has held up, although some minor fading/peeling on plastic accents. Had to replace all 4 window rotors within first year and repaired sunroof twice. Brake dust shows daily. Nightmare problems starting at 55k miles, had to replace serpentine belt, battery, throttle, DSC control unit (2k out of pocket, warranty expired). Will not purchase another BMW, although performance is superb, reliability and quality is not favorable. Servicing and repair expenses too high.

Favorite Features

Handling, acceleration, steptronic, interior look, exterior design is timeless.

Suggested Improvements

Quality, reliability, more interior room, better MPG.

Not So Reliable, Not so Swift
By HSD

2002 BMW 3 Series 330Ci Rwd 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I'm often amazed at how so many reviewers who have only test driven the BMW so readily heap its praise. I've owned a 330Ci Convertible now through 60,000 miles. In the last two years alone it has been in the shop for major repairs nine times. Count: new transmission, new alternator, battery, and ECU, new radiator, water pump, and impeller, new radio, new seat cover. Most recently it requires a new brake caliper, rotor and pads. I've come to understand that BMW really means, "Breaking Motor Woerken." There is a reason BMW offers such attractive leases on their cars: The only way worth driving one is as a rental.

Favorite Features

Looks impressive. Drop top can't be beat. Doors lock automatically.

Suggested Improvements

Reliability. Reliability, Reliability. Shave off the FAT - my 1995 Ford Probe GT can outrun this. Transmission tunnel intrusion into driver space - I'm ready for a hip graft. Forget the automatic. Think twice about sport wheels if you live in an urban area (or keep a slush fund for replacements).

BMW Forever
By Luis L

2002 BMW 3 Series 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Bought this car used in May 2005 with 20,000 miles on it. After reconditioning (replaced AC compressor, fuel level gauge in tank and suspension bushings), it has given no problems. Only needed scheduled service. Fun to drive! Nice acceleration and road handling. Full leather trim is easy to keep clean. 17" wheels and M3 type trunk spoiler give it a sporty look. I am adding angel eyes projector headlights to make it look even better. I will definitely buy another BMW when I trade this one in!

Favorite Features

Engine growl when accelerating, smooth transmission, body styling, suspension.

Suggested Improvements

Cupholders! Also, improve the overall AC system.