Used 2002 BMW 3 Series Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 BMW 3 Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

My Mother In Law Was Right. Darn it.
By Jaybear

2002 BMW 3 Series 330i Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

My mother in law had a bad experience with a BMW in the 1980s, and told me that "BMW" stood for "Break My Wallet" when I drove home my beautiful brand new 2002 330i. Well, she was right. In addition to expensive regular maintenance costs, I paid a staggering $10,000 in post-warranty repairs, including a replacement transmission, broken driver's side window motor, radiator leak, tire rims that mysteriously cracked, headlight control switch, and seat motor. When the car worked, it was gorgeous and fun to drive, but not nearly worth the obscene repair costs. Adding insult to injury, my mother in law's judgment was correct, and I just traded in my BMW and then bought a Lexus like she did.

Drove beautifully (when it wasn't in the shop), classic styling, peppy (both before and after post-warranty transmission replacement of $4500), festive collection of "repair needed" lights in the instrument cluster to mentally prepare you for the cost of your next post-warranty repair.

Reliability and durability receive an F. No car should incur $10,000 in post-warranty repair costs despite religious performance of all scheduled maintenance. Despite how much fun this car was to drive, I cannot recommend BMW to anyone after my horrid experience.

325i
By Armen

2002 BMW 3 Series 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

My 325i have sport,winter & premium packages. I have owned this car for about 8 months, and drove it about 10000 miles. It's been a great car with pleasure to drive specially in handling. Minor problems only once in while check light goes on for back tail light, but it's easy fix. So far, thank god no major problem after driving a lot. I'm very satisfied with this car.

Sport's rims, handling, xenon lights, looks

none

Car Seats
By China Anne

2002 BMW 3 Series 330Ci Rwd 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this car because I wanted a fun sporty number and was not disappointed. The car is wonderful to drive and if amazing even on long trips.

I love the sound system and the cloth top. Its beautiful on the road and gets tons of looks. My husband complained repeatedly about me getting a conv. and he rides with the top down more than I do. He loves the car just as much as I do.

I would change the design of the seat. Its contoured on the sides and makes it awkward to get in. Cupholders are horrible but they keep me from having extra junk in my car.

Mixed feelings
By Wheels

2002 BMW 3 Series 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Bought mine used a year ago with about 65K miles. Never owned a more solid car, nothing even close. Makes my in-laws' 2007 Accord feel cheap and gutless. Great ride and handling, good power, 29 mpg, very comfortable (6'2", 225 lbs). But the repairs have me frustrated. Belt idler pulley bearings shot at about 70K miles. AC/Heater blower motor regulator needs replaced (at 86K miles). Trans is making odd noises. Driver's window motor is almost shot. Taillight ground problem. Bad battery. Window trim fell off. None of these are catastrophic, but I've driven many other cars for many more miles before these types of problems arose. I won't buy another one, though the positives make it tempting.

Handling, comfort, solid feel.

Better quality control and reliability in areas where parts should last much longer (and do in other cars), e.g., belt pulleys, window motors, blower regulators.

Fantastic Ride!
By Minnie Gupta

2002 BMW 3 Series 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

We bought our 2002 325i last August with 151,000 miles on it, no less! It's rwd, and we were told by the dealer to drive carefully on the snow. I have been riding this car everyday to work and all other places for the past 10 months and love it, even on the snow. For a car which has covered such mind boggling miles, this car rides like a dream. We probably will have to fix the suspension in a couple of months or so, but other than that, this car rides like the powerhouse packet that it is. If you didn't look at the odometer, you could not tell it from it's newer models, the ride is still so tight. It's service history is clean, no rattlings and the gas mileage is great. Love it!

Great ride, reliability, exterior, interior, style.

Nothing that the newest versions have not covered.

• SUV