Used 2002 BMW 3 Series Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 BMW 3 Series Sedan

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

2002 330i Sedan
By pimpjuice

2002 BMW 3 Series Sedan 330i Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this car new and had it ever since. Never seen a mechanic since purchase. I put a custom bodykit, 20 inch rims. cold air intake. Car is awesome and still drives like new. Wished i had got the stick instead. Gas average 27 (city/hwy). that is very good. Good power. I don't know about those who had bad mechanical experience with bmw, But I would love to get another i35, 335 or m3 someday.

Favorite Features

Sexy looks, power, handling, my 20" rims on it with new bodykit. It's a total new look. This car looks great on bodykit.

Suggested Improvements

More HP, cup holder location, alarm

My Mother In Law Was Right. Darn it.
By Jaybear

2002 BMW 3 Series Sedan 330i Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

My mother in law had a bad experience with a BMW in the 1980s, and told me that "BMW" stood for "Break My Wallet" when I drove home my beautiful brand new 2002 330i. Well, she was right. In addition to expensive regular maintenance costs, I paid a staggering $10,000 in post-warranty repairs, including a replacement transmission, broken driver's side window motor, radiator leak, tire rims that mysteriously cracked, headlight control switch, and seat motor. When the car worked, it was gorgeous and fun to drive, but not nearly worth the obscene repair costs. Adding insult to injury, my mother in law's judgment was correct, and I just traded in my BMW and then bought a Lexus like she did.

Favorite Features

Drove beautifully (when it wasn't in the shop), classic styling, peppy (both before and after post-warranty transmission replacement of $4500), festive collection of "repair needed" lights in the instrument cluster to mentally prepare you for the cost of your next post-warranty repair.

Suggested Improvements

Reliability and durability receive an F. No car should incur $10,000 in post-warranty repair costs despite religious performance of all scheduled maintenance. Despite how much fun this car was to drive, I cannot recommend BMW to anyone after my horrid experience.

325i
By Armen

2002 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

My 325i have sport,winter & premium packages. I have owned this car for about 8 months, and drove it about 10000 miles. It's been a great car with pleasure to drive specially in handling. Minor problems only once in while check light goes on for back tail light, but it's easy fix. So far, thank god no major problem after driving a lot. I'm very satisfied with this car.

Favorite Features

Sport's rims, handling, xenon lights, looks

Suggested Improvements

none

Mixed feelings
By Wheels

2002 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Bought mine used a year ago with about 65K miles. Never owned a more solid car, nothing even close. Makes my in-laws' 2007 Accord feel cheap and gutless. Great ride and handling, good power, 29 mpg, very comfortable (6'2", 225 lbs). But the repairs have me frustrated. Belt idler pulley bearings shot at about 70K miles. AC/Heater blower motor regulator needs replaced (at 86K miles). Trans is making odd noises. Driver's window motor is almost shot. Taillight ground problem. Bad battery. Window trim fell off. None of these are catastrophic, but I've driven many other cars for many more miles before these types of problems arose. I won't buy another one, though the positives make it tempting.

Favorite Features

Handling, comfort, solid feel.

Suggested Improvements

Better quality control and reliability in areas where parts should last much longer (and do in other cars), e.g., belt pulleys, window motors, blower regulators.

Fantastic Ride!
By Minnie Gupta

2002 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

We bought our 2002 325i last August with 151,000 miles on it, no less! It's rwd, and we were told by the dealer to drive carefully on the snow. I have been riding this car everyday to work and all other places for the past 10 months and love it, even on the snow. For a car which has covered such mind boggling miles, this car rides like a dream. We probably will have to fix the suspension in a couple of months or so, but other than that, this car rides like the powerhouse packet that it is. If you didn't look at the odometer, you could not tell it from it's newer models, the ride is still so tight. It's service history is clean, no rattlings and the gas mileage is great. Love it!

Favorite Features

Great ride, reliability, exterior, interior, style.

Suggested Improvements

Nothing that the newest versions have not covered.