2002 BMW 3 Series Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:
Not reliable
By BM on 05/03/08 07:29 AM (PDT)

2002 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this car in 2002 because I test drove a friend's car and I loved it. It's a true sport sedan, got enough power, it looks really cool and fun to drive. But the car is not reliable. I have put only 47k miles on it and many things broke down I have to replaced alternator, air blower, power window motor, battery twice, front and rear brake twice and expecting another power window motor. I will not buy a BMW any more.

Bye-Bye BMW
By Donna on 03/23/08 17:29 PM (PDT)

2002 BMW 3 Series Sedan 330xi AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

The romance is over. I wanted a BMW all my life and bought mine brand new in 2002. Everything was good until a year after warranty expired. All at once: worn front axle assemblies with leaking CV boots, broken rear springs, broken thermostat unit and an extremely annoying squeaking steering wheel. Car had 58k miles on it. Sent a letter to BMW North America asking "why?". CS rep calls me and says "these are just normal wear and tear items - what do you want us to do about it?". Drove Honda Civic for 10 years on same CT roads - no problems at all. On my way to trade this jalopy in before it falls apart on me again.

Get ready for hefty repair bills
By Swooze on 03/18/08 13:31 PM (PDT)

2002 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I purchased this vehicle as a Certified Pre-Owned. Under warranty I had a broken brake caliper and right front window motor replaced. Largest out of pocket expenses are the brake jobs costing $450 or more for either front or rear. Now I'm having a problem with the interior fan blower motor so back to the dealer before my extended warranty runs out in July. The car has truly spectacular handling, but the repair and maintenance costs are the highest of any vehicle I've owned. I will think twice before buying another BMW.

A Dream Car... But Not Very Practical
By Emiroo on 03/14/08 13:39 PM (PDT)

2002 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

My wife and I love the way this car looks and performs so much that we overlook several complaints we have. It's beautiful and handles like a racecar! That being said, the upkeep on a BMW can be crippling. Whatever a part costs for a regular car, double (if not triple) that on a BMW. The trunk & backseat are smaller and not very helpful when we take our 2 children places in it. The stereo is incredibly weak and muddled for a car of this caliber. The door unlock button is right by the poorly placed cupholder making it likey to be the victim of a short after a spill (ours did). Still, the car is a blast to drive and turns heads! Not great for families, but still too much fun to get rid of.

Ultimate driving machine is no joke
By Allan Adderley on 12/29/07 17:06 PM (PST)

2002 BMW 3 Series Sedan 330i Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Feel very safe in this car. Impeccable handling, great power, and fabulous brakes turn otherwise scary experiences into just gee whiz moments. No fat. No wasted space. Every control feels exactly like you want it to feel and works the way to want it to work. Totally neutral handling at every speed makes you king of the road in the turns. Park it next to a new Mustang, for example, and you will be amazed at how small it is in comparison although it has more room inside. Tight turning radius makes maneuvering in small spaces a breeze. Cars like this just show how far the others have to go. Reliability has been very good with this and my former 2001 330i. Total mileage driven, about 60K.

One of the best cars in the market!
By Moawieh Abuhatoum on 12/06/07 18:57 PM (PST)

2002 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

The car drives just fine, very quiet and fun to drive, very good gas mileage, corners very well, excellent acceleration, very well designed in and out!! Maintaning the car is an issue with the unlogical prices and labor charges dealer will charge just because it is BMW! You really pay for the name and not the part/labor! Very frustrating.

Good car but too many repairs
By slick on 08/07/07 09:47 AM (PDT)

2002 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I bought my car in April and I love the way it drives, for a 2.5 it's peppy. I had to replace ball joints and bushings $800. Also had a failed right front suspension spring. $200 fix. The car runs smooth but too many little repairs. Very fun to drive and will recommend purchase with warranty.

First 8 months
By Aaron on 08/06/07 22:33 PM (PDT)

2002 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I drove a '99 Ford Contour SVT before the 325i, and I am so satisfied that I bought a rear-wheel drive car. I've had two problems when I first bought it. The alternator and reverse-activated rear-view mirror were replaced free of charge, but considering that my last car was about to die on me, they were minor inconveniences. The 190 or so hp (BMW says 184, I don't think so) is used to its fullest extent and doesn't struggle, but if you can afford the near 4-5 grand premium over the 325i for the 330i, get the 330i. The tires are wearing even and the steering, is, I'm lost for words. It's awesome. I will have an update around the 14-16 month period.

German engineering??
By altura on 07/13/07 18:15 PM (PDT)

2002 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Bought it brand new, excellent handling and acceleration. As of 07/2007, 60k miles and exterior (metallic blue) looks like new. Interior wood trim and leather trim has held up, although some minor fading/peeling on plastic accents. Had to replace all 4 window rotors within first year and repaired sunroof twice. Brake dust shows daily. Nightmare problems starting at 55k miles, had to replace serpentine belt, battery, throttle, DSC control unit (2k out of pocket, warranty expired). Will not purchase another BMW, although performance is superb, reliability and quality is not favorable. Servicing and repair expenses too high.

BMW Forever
By Luis L on 06/13/07 07:24 AM (PDT)

2002 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Bought this car used in May 2005 with 20,000 miles on it. After reconditioning (replaced AC compressor, fuel level gauge in tank and suspension bushings), it has given no problems. Only needed scheduled service. Fun to drive! Nice acceleration and road handling. Full leather trim is easy to keep clean. 17" wheels and M3 type trunk spoiler give it a sporty look. I am adding angel eyes projector headlights to make it look even better. I will definitely buy another BMW when I trade this one in!