Used 2002 BMW 3 Series Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

330i
By jungster1

2002 BMW 3 Series Sedan 330i Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Have 17,000 miles on it now. Overall, the ownership experience has been positive. It is a great car. Powerful engine, great driving dynamics, look and feel of quality. After years of Toyota and Honda ownership, I have been a little disappointed by the reliability of some of the components. Nothing major but had to take the car in for two unscheduled repairs. Everything was covered under warranty.

Favorite Features

Fast, excellent handling, good fuel economy, supple ride, the feel of quality and durability.

Suggested Improvements

Overpriced but nothing is better. It should be 5K less. A struggle to get my golf clubs to fit into the trunk. Minor components tend to fail more frequently than expected.

Very Disappointed !!!!!!!!
By Helopilot

2002 BMW 3 Series Sedan 330i Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I have a momentary significant engine hesitation on slow accelerations; I have taken the car to BMW 6 times for this problem. I have taken the car 7 times for a distinct whine at 70 MPH coming from the rear end or the manual transmission; BMW changed the rear end fluid and then the rear end. The gas pedal sticks after 30 minutes of use; it's been changed two times. The radiator requires filling every 7 weeks to bring the coolant level back up to full on the float stick. BMW has tried to fix the above items, but refuses to work on any of the anymore. The driver shoulder harness tensioner has been replaced twice.

Favorite Features

Handling, Directional stability control.

Suggested Improvements

Reliability, interior noise & Warrantee Service.

Wanted a BMW for a long time
By longtimehondaguy

2002 BMW 3 Series Sedan 330i Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

And I finally got one. But at less than 3k on the odometer, the car dies. Turns out the instrument cluster was bad. It was replaced under warranty, after I had it towed to the dealership (I had to pay for the cost of towing up front), but it would have cost me $600.00 otherwise. Since then, it has been pretty reliable. But for $40k, I don't expect anything to go wrong. After all, my '86 Accord and '90 Integra never had any mechanical problems until 200k miles. Just changed the clutch on the Integra at 213k miles.

Favorite Features

Performance, suspension, engine, handling, xenons, HK stereo, auto dimming mirror.

Suggested Improvements

Quality/reliability, standard CD changer system, power tilt/telescoping wheel that will get out of your way during ingress/egress, auto dimming outside mirrors.

My dream car
By zenbob

2002 BMW 3 Series Sedan 330i Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I upgraded from a '99 BMW 328i to a 2002 BMW 330i, so you know I was pleased with my 1st BMW experience. I bought a "program" car with 15K miles with almost all the options including Sport/premium package, Xenon and heated seats. My previous car did not have the sport package or Xenon. This model has auto-head lights. I would recommend this car to anyone who loves to drive with enthusiasm and likes "performance" driving, but not to someone looking for a luxury car. Can't wait to try it on the track! If you can afford it, get the Performance package.

Favorite Features

I love the big M dual spoke wheels; easier to clean the brake dust. I really like the stiffer ride and the bigger motor, but I especially love the Topaz blue vs. the Titatium I had, but that's just my preference.

Suggested Improvements

HK upgraded stereo not up to expectations for the price. A standard DIN stereo space would be nice. The grey leather interior wraps to the front of the dash under the widshield. This creates an area that reflects on the lower part of the windshield which is annoying.

I love my 325i
By rjg96

2002 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I have a 2001 325 (which I think is better looking than the later facelifted models), and really enjoy it. I picked it up in Germany, and drove it on the autobahns for 2 weeks-- I HIGHLY recommend you take advantage of BMW's european delivery program. The car has been absolutely reliable-- but there have been a few rattles that bugged me (I fixed them myself w/ some felt). options 5 speed manual Cold-weather packaged moonroof leather sports package Get these while you can-- as you can see from the new 7 and 5 series, BMWs are becoming quite ugly!

Favorite Features

-feel of shifter -steering precision -smoothness of engine -interior design (one of the best looking car interiors ever designed).

Suggested Improvements

-Dealer serice is generally poor (and the survey process needs to be fixed) -seats should have lumbar support standard (even a manual knob-type of adjustment)