2002 BMW 3 Series Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:
So far, So good
By scott6364 on 05/27/13 20:17 PM (PDT)

2002 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325xi AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Recently bought a 2002 BMW 325xi as a commuting car for future winter use. Love the looks, handling and value for what I paid for it. Previous owner took great care with this BMW. Looks showroom new and clean. No tears, or wear in the interior and the outside looks new. I cannot compare the gas mileage with what my Saab 9-3 gets, as there is no comparing the 2. But for overall handling, BMW has my Saab beat. Of course front wheel drive to all wheel drive makes a difference, but that was to be expected. I took it today up a canyon highway with many turns and elevations. Did not miss a beat on anything. The car corners like it is on rails, and I was totally blown away by how good this car is

Love love love my bimmer!
By LL on 03/29/10 08:44 AM (PDT)

2002 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325xi AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I have owned my 325xi since it was purchased new. Prior I had an Audi A4 which is a great vehicle. I love love love my bimmer! It has 118,000 miles and has had no engine or transmission issues. Drives and handles like it's brand new. I'm a stickler for regular maintenance. I've had to replace a battery, window regulators, timing belt, tires, and mostly maintenance items. In the past few years, I've only averaged 5000-6000 miles and it stays garaged. I love the aggressive look and she's a beauty even when parked against the curb. I dislike the new rounded BMW features and feel that BMW is going in the wrong direction trying to make their vehicles look more like Lexus.

I should have taken advice the 1st time
By mikebimmer on 03/22/10 18:55 PM (PDT)

2002 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325xi AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I recently purchased my 2002 BMW 325Xi this year from a private one owner family. Stay away from the dealership. They are very expensive ($140.00 for an oil change). Please, at all cost, if you can, take the time to learn how to work on these cars. With some basic tools, a service manual and some patience, you can do some of your own work. Once I brought my 325Xi home, everything that could go bad went bad. The first problem I incurred was when inserting the key to unlock the door the lock cylinder fell out of the door. All my window regulators failed in all doors. The side mirror cover fell off. The gas mileage is horrible, despite full tuneup. I am unsure if I want to continue ownership.

Radiator Issues
By ptm323 on 03/13/10 19:09 PM (PST)

2002 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325xi AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

70k-100k radiator troubles..HVAC Problems. Super Fun To Drive. No Complaints. Keep an eye out for all Radiator Issues. Driven many well built vehicles, this has been the most solid and fun.

Fun to drive
By sparky2708 on 03/07/07 21:24 PM (PST)

2002 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325xi AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I have owned this car for 5 years now. Last year my transmission had to be replaced and this year both front axles needed to be replaced because the boot leaked. Car is definitely fun to drive but the problems it is starting to have are serious but strange since I only have 44000 miles on the car. Haven't had any accidents so not sure why all these problems started. My advice, if you buy the car consider getting one with an extended warranty - mine paid off big time!

Disappointing 325xi
By T Nguyen on 02/20/07 05:14 AM (PST)

2002 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325xi AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I bought it new in 2002. Since then, had to bring it back to the dealer for replacing (4) window operators. Alternator defect found after the 2nd year. After 5 years - just magically right after warranty expired! - rear window molding is peeled off (found to be attached to the car body via "stick-on" glue! - is this really German engineering?); and whenever it rains water is found puddling up in all footwells. The dealer tried to fix door seals 4 times, but water/moisture still infiltrate. Hint for other bmw owners: If your car windshield is fogging up after rainy weather, check under the floor mat! One more problem: power connector for the front seat operator is a cheap clip-on!! BMW value engineering is so disappointing!

Best ever
By gordo on 01/12/07 20:40 PM (PST)

2002 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325xi AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I have owned my 325xi for 5 years now, have over 108k on the clock. Only 3 sets of tires, awd wear out quicker. Still getting 25-30 mpg. With 100k on it, it's stil worth $$$$.

Makes driving fun
By Ted on 12/22/05 15:16 PM (PST)

2002 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325xi AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

AWD grips road in dry, wet and snow conditions; ABS braking minimizes slip even on ice. Great car for winters; no problems starting or driving. Recommend aggressive snows if you will see more than 6-inches snow on regular basis, but expect solid traction. Acceleration (5spd) is very satisfying -- very nimble in/out of traffic. Top speed in regular driving = 120mph, and not even a labored groan. (Too many tickets.)

You Haven't Driven Until You Have A BMW
By Bill on 05/21/05 06:57 AM (PDT)

2002 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325xi AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Have owned it 3 years now and still love it. Averages 25 mpg city/highway. Super in New England weather, but you need to keep up on tire condition. I got 50K out of originals and replaced them with the same. Only complaints are; high upkeep costs, and electrical rear tailight that the dealer can't seem to get straight, also it stalls every one in awhile. However, there is nothing like a BMW and this one gives you peace of mind with the all-wheel drive.

325 XI
By Beacon 888 on 11/03/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325xi AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

The car is soild all around, decent interior with original creativities, mininal compromise at this price range, when you drive one, you'll know it's a steal! Reasonable response from the car's handling, terrific engine/transmission combination, sharp braking, steady and yet nimble, every where I look, I see people put a lot of thoughts into designing a fine automobile like this, gotta appreciate that. Only down side? Too Heavy!