2002 BMW 3 Series Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:
2002 BMW 325i
By mikhiett on 03/01/14 07:58 AM (PST)

2002 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I have owned my car for 1 year, 2 months now. I have Oriental Blue paint, black tinted windows, gray leather interior, and 17" optional rims. Automatic M/S transmission. Xenon headlights that light up the entire road. Excellent gas mileage. This car accelerates fast, looks good, sounds good, and has been very reliable with 126k miles. I bought this car with 116k miles. I changed the oil with a special Belgium imported synthetic oil 10k ago. The only expenses I have had are 4 new tires, control arm bushing, valve cover gasket, coolant hose, and fuel pump relay; all total cost under $1500 including tire price, parts, and shop labor. This car is definitely a keeper.

Don't believe the naysayers
By irobot1 on 07/13/13 15:07 PM (PDT)

2002 BMW 3 Series Sedan 330i Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

My current 2002 330i Sport is my 4th BMW and 34th car overall so I have some experience. This model of BMW - the E46 - is just plain solid. Yes, there are known issues such as window regulators and water pumps, but when you get past those annoyances and pay attention to the detail in the design of this car they fade into the background. It's easy to do regular maintenance on the car such as oil changes and brake replacements, in part because the parts are made with quality materials and still look like new after 10 years on the road. I think the E46 is possibly the last 3 series to have the classic BMW look and feel, and I have noticed the value of these cars going up in the used market.

So far, So good
By scott6364 on 05/27/13 20:17 PM (PDT)

2002 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325xi AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Recently bought a 2002 BMW 325xi as a commuting car for future winter use. Love the looks, handling and value for what I paid for it. Previous owner took great care with this BMW. Looks showroom new and clean. No tears, or wear in the interior and the outside looks new. I cannot compare the gas mileage with what my Saab 9-3 gets, as there is no comparing the 2. But for overall handling, BMW has my Saab beat. Of course front wheel drive to all wheel drive makes a difference, but that was to be expected. I took it today up a canyon highway with many turns and elevations. Did not miss a beat on anything. The car corners like it is on rails, and I was totally blown away by how good this car is

Solid machine (Automatic)
By jdez09 on 03/28/11 09:53 AM (PDT)

2002 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I recently sold my 93 Lexus LS400 for the newer and smaller BMW 325i. Man what a difference. This car has less horses than the old lex but i would prefer the 180 some-odd horses to be called clydesdales because of how fast this thing takes off! It's quick, and feels light but is actually a heavy car. The safety of these things are out the roof. Great build quality and materials inside and out are easy to maintain and clean. Gas mileage is great, I have driven on highways and have averaged over 40 mpg with careful pedal use. City miles aren't near as good but it balances out very well. DONT USE REGULAR GAS! It lowers your fuel economy, these cars are made to perform efficiently with 93 Ot

A "different" 325i
By timothy on 10/03/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

After 4 BMW motorcycles, still had not owned the car. Spotted this one on a reputable lot, had look closely as it looked "different" It was (is) absolutely gorgeous, one owner.Has a M3 front clip (after-market?) 5 speed manual in instead of the usual steptronic, LED rear light buckets Someone had put some money, love and care into this car, impeccable condition.Bought it on the spot (120,000 miles)no problems whatsoever, sounds, handles, drives like a dream, I even love the way it smells. I'm hoping that any of the usual complaints (window regs, tensioners, have been resolved. the only maint regs that came with it are the every 3000 mile oil changes (Castrol synthetic 5-30).

Great car overall
By Tooth Fairy on 09/10/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I purchased the 325i in 2005, had it for 4.5 years and overall, no major issues. Had to replace rear brakes once, power window motors on all four windows, heating/cooling fan motor, and something pertaining to the coolant hose once. Had to seal it after i had it stuck in the snow, and blew the transmission after going in forward and reverse several times, although I'm uncertain if that was solely on the account of my mistreatment, or it it would have blown regardless. I did love the car overall, and for the majority of the time i owned it, had no major issues. Also had the driver's side seat motor go out once, but it seemed to fix itself.

Love love love my bimmer!
By LL on 03/29/10 08:44 AM (PDT)

2002 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325xi AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I have owned my 325xi since it was purchased new. Prior I had an Audi A4 which is a great vehicle. I love love love my bimmer! It has 118,000 miles and has had no engine or transmission issues. Drives and handles like it's brand new. I'm a stickler for regular maintenance. I've had to replace a battery, window regulators, timing belt, tires, and mostly maintenance items. In the past few years, I've only averaged 5000-6000 miles and it stays garaged. I love the aggressive look and she's a beauty even when parked against the curb. I dislike the new rounded BMW features and feel that BMW is going in the wrong direction trying to make their vehicles look more like Lexus.

I should have taken advice the 1st time
By mikebimmer on 03/22/10 18:55 PM (PDT)

2002 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325xi AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I recently purchased my 2002 BMW 325Xi this year from a private one owner family. Stay away from the dealership. They are very expensive ($140.00 for an oil change). Please, at all cost, if you can, take the time to learn how to work on these cars. With some basic tools, a service manual and some patience, you can do some of your own work. Once I brought my 325Xi home, everything that could go bad went bad. The first problem I incurred was when inserting the key to unlock the door the lock cylinder fell out of the door. All my window regulators failed in all doors. The side mirror cover fell off. The gas mileage is horrible, despite full tuneup. I am unsure if I want to continue ownership.

Radiator Issues
By ptm323 on 03/13/10 19:09 PM (PST)

2002 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325xi AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

70k-100k radiator troubles..HVAC Problems. Super Fun To Drive. No Complaints. Keep an eye out for all Radiator Issues. Driven many well built vehicles, this has been the most solid and fun.

Fun to Drive but expensive to maintain
By DJ on 08/29/09 20:40 PM (PDT)

2002 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I love the handling of my 325. I have encountered several problems with the car which it continues to add up. I have had three window regulators break which the company is aware of the problem, but will not do a recall. The rotors cannot be turned so brakes cost $400 just for the front. I had a bushing replaced which BMW dealership didn't put the parts back on the vehicle correctly. Be prepared when you go for an oil change, you will end up paying for more than a simple oil change. I can't believe the amount of magazines praising BMW cars. The magazines never mention anything about reliability or the lack of. I am disappointed with the quality of my 325.