Used 2002 BMW 3 Series Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

2002 BMW 325i
By mikhiett

2002 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I have owned my car for 1 year, 2 months now. I have Oriental Blue paint, black tinted windows, gray leather interior, and 17" optional rims. Automatic M/S transmission. Xenon headlights that light up the entire road. Excellent gas mileage. This car accelerates fast, looks good, sounds good, and has been very reliable with 126k miles. I bought this car with 116k miles. I changed the oil with a special Belgium imported synthetic oil 10k ago. The only expenses I have had are 4 new tires, control arm bushing, valve cover gasket, coolant hose, and fuel pump relay; all total cost under $1500 including tire price, parts, and shop labor. This car is definitely a keeper.

Favorite Features

I love the classic/modern mix of BMW styling, and this generation of BMW 3 series jumped out at me and told me to get it. The new models of BMW do not seem to have the classic look. When people see these BMW's on the road, they always look twice. I love the engineering of BMW; the engine, chassis, and mechanisms all perform like a high quality automobile should. It is just as I imagined it would be to drive this car. As with any car, your maintenance depends on how you drive your car.

Suggested Improvements

Some pieces of my outside and inside trim fell off. My headliner is beginning to sag. The corner pillar headliner is loose and hanging a bit. On the 17" rims, I am missing one center lug cap and the BMW logo on the other 3 peeled off. My radio volume button came off and I lost it(still have steering volume control, though). Had some issues with hood cable sticking and hood not opening. Tints interfere with radio reception so I cannot listen to local radio stations without a lot of interference.

Don't believe the naysayers
By irobot1

2002 BMW 3 Series Sedan 330i Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

My current 2002 330i Sport is my 4th BMW and 34th car overall so I have some experience. This model of BMW - the E46 - is just plain solid. Yes, there are known issues such as window regulators and water pumps, but when you get past those annoyances and pay attention to the detail in the design of this car they fade into the background. It's easy to do regular maintenance on the car such as oil changes and brake replacements, in part because the parts are made with quality materials and still look like new after 10 years on the road. I think the E46 is possibly the last 3 series to have the classic BMW look and feel, and I have noticed the value of these cars going up in the used market.

Favorite Features

The mechanical nature of the steering, braking and handling are incredible, but it still feels like a luxury car. The interior is clean and purposeful, with high quality materials and very few squeaks and rattles, even after 96,000 miles. Even though it's at least 11 years old, I believe it's still one of the best looking cars on the road, especially with the sport package.

Suggested Improvements

None. OK, the window regulators were a really dumb design, and who thought putting plastic blades on a water pump was a good idea?

So far, So good
By scott6364

2002 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325xi AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Recently bought a 2002 BMW 325xi as a commuting car for future winter use. Love the looks, handling and value for what I paid for it. Previous owner took great care with this BMW. Looks showroom new and clean. No tears, or wear in the interior and the outside looks new. I cannot compare the gas mileage with what my Saab 9-3 gets, as there is no comparing the 2. But for overall handling, BMW has my Saab beat. Of course front wheel drive to all wheel drive makes a difference, but that was to be expected. I took it today up a canyon highway with many turns and elevations. Did not miss a beat on anything. The car corners like it is on rails, and I was totally blown away by how good this car is

Favorite Features

Design of the car, handling on corners, overall comfort. Cannot wait for snow now!

Solid machine (Automatic)
By jdez09

2002 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I recently sold my 93 Lexus LS400 for the newer and smaller BMW 325i. Man what a difference. This car has less horses than the old lex but i would prefer the 180 some-odd horses to be called clydesdales because of how fast this thing takes off! It's quick, and feels light but is actually a heavy car. The safety of these things are out the roof. Great build quality and materials inside and out are easy to maintain and clean. Gas mileage is great, I have driven on highways and have averaged over 40 mpg with careful pedal use. City miles aren't near as good but it balances out very well. DONT USE REGULAR GAS! It lowers your fuel economy, these cars are made to perform efficiently with 93 Ot

Favorite Features

The suspension is unlike any sedan I have driven. The lights in the interior give the car a calm, collective illumination during the nightime cruises. The one i bought had worn cupholders so I purchased coasters made for the vehicle. The leather is comfortable and has a racers feel to it. daytime running lights and fog lights are ideal for safety as well. Airbags are everywhere, and are hidden nicely with the leather coverings. Dashboard is incredible, because it has that curvature that exeeds even to the passenger. Gives the car a Jet engine cockpit type feel while driving and it compliments your peripherals. Note: Newer models don't have this look. They straightened it out

Suggested Improvements

Theres a slight problem with the air intake but im gonna have that fixed pretty soon. The upholstry on the pillars may need to be reinforced after a couple of years of use (they might come out of place) other than that the car is solid. The speakers should be replaced after years of use to keep the authenticy of the sound quality that the BMW driving experience deserves. If you have the bank notes.. Buy this car, and for those of you that have one I'm glad to be an owner alongside you guys. I see alot of you on the road and i can tell that you all have passion for the car. Thanks for reading.

A "different" 325i
By timothy

2002 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

After 4 BMW motorcycles, still had not owned the car. Spotted this one on a reputable lot, had look closely as it looked "different" It was (is) absolutely gorgeous, one owner.Has a M3 front clip (after-market?) 5 speed manual in instead of the usual steptronic, LED rear light buckets Someone had put some money, love and care into this car, impeccable condition.Bought it on the spot (120,000 miles)no problems whatsoever, sounds, handles, drives like a dream, I even love the way it smells. I'm hoping that any of the usual complaints (window regs, tensioners, have been resolved. the only maint regs that came with it are the every 3000 mile oil changes (Castrol synthetic 5-30).

Favorite Features

handling, craftmanship, fuel mileage performance,body style, interior layout

Suggested Improvements

none observed yet