Used 2002 BMW 3 Series 330Ci Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Bmw 3-series - Consumer Reviews

2002 BMW 3 Series Convertible

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

Fun to drive, repairs necessary when older
By tigeryox

2002 BMW 3 Series Convertible 330Ci Rwd 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I've owned a 2002 330Ci Convertible with 88K miles since new. It's definitely a fun car to drive, especially with the top down in good weather. Having said that, it does need some repairs which I thought was more than expected for the mileage or age: - Replaced lower control arm (LCA) bushings - Replaced both LCAs due to one bad ball joint - The dome of the strut towers deformed, common for the E46. Added a $10 reinforcement plate for each - Replaced both broken rear springs, common for the E46 - Passenger seat occupancy sensor broke - Convertible top inner lining torn due to warped plastic inserts If I weren't my own mechanic, these items could be expensive.

Favorite Features

- Convertible - Very responsive handling - Great styling - Excellent workmanship

Suggested Improvements

BMW needs to fix a few design and vendor problems. Deformed strut tower should not happen and is a design problem. Broken rear suspension spring is probably a vendor problem, almost unheard of on other cars.

Satisfied 2nd owner
By gsr

2002 BMW 3 Series Convertible 330Ci Rwd 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought the car when it was 8 months old w/ 3500 miles and have enjoyed it ever since. I bought snow tires for the winter, and use the summer tires at other times for performance. In 6 years of ownership, I've had the muffler replaced twice for noise (worked fine), the cd changer replaced for skipping, a tension pulley replaced for recall, and the control arms replaced once. This car is still a lot of fun to drive and it's never left me stranded. Occasionally the front headlight doesn't come on right away, but it always does eventually. I think it's a great mix of performance and value, and I've been extremely satisfied. I'm 6'4", and it's tough to find a comfortable car - this is one!

Favorite Features

Interior room, rain sensing wipers, good gas mileage, glass rear window in the convertible.

Suggested Improvements

Radio for this year did not include aux input, I think that's been remedied. Jack with the car does not seem sturdy enough.

Car Seats
By China Anne

2002 BMW 3 Series Convertible 330Ci Rwd 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this car because I wanted a fun sporty number and was not disappointed. The car is wonderful to drive and if amazing even on long trips.

Favorite Features

I love the sound system and the cloth top. Its beautiful on the road and gets tons of looks. My husband complained repeatedly about me getting a conv. and he rides with the top down more than I do. He loves the car just as much as I do.

Suggested Improvements

I would change the design of the seat. Its contoured on the sides and makes it awkward to get in. Cupholders are horrible but they keep me from having extra junk in my car.

Not So Reliable, Not so Swift
By HSD

2002 BMW 3 Series Convertible 330Ci Rwd 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I'm often amazed at how so many reviewers who have only test driven the BMW so readily heap its praise. I've owned a 330Ci Convertible now through 60,000 miles. In the last two years alone it has been in the shop for major repairs nine times. Count: new transmission, new alternator, battery, and ECU, new radiator, water pump, and impeller, new radio, new seat cover. Most recently it requires a new brake caliper, rotor and pads. I've come to understand that BMW really means, "Breaking Motor Woerken." There is a reason BMW offers such attractive leases on their cars: The only way worth driving one is as a rental.

Favorite Features

Looks impressive. Drop top can't be beat. Doors lock automatically.

Suggested Improvements

Reliability. Reliability, Reliability. Shave off the FAT - my 1995 Ford Probe GT can outrun this. Transmission tunnel intrusion into driver space - I'm ready for a hip graft. Forget the automatic. Think twice about sport wheels if you live in an urban area (or keep a slush fund for replacements).

I'm Hooked
By Dave

2002 BMW 3 Series Convertible 330Ci Rwd 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I recently traded in my perfectly fine 2006 Honda Civic EX coupe for this car, and I absolutely love it. I was looking for a little more fun than the Honda provided, and also something the family would enjoy. This car is all that you read about and more. It offers the perfect blend of fun, performance, and practicality. This is my first venture into BMW-land, and I'm hooked so far. I was looking for a used model with low miles, and I came across my 2002 330 CiC with just 38,400 miles and a clean Carfax. The beauty of BMWs is that they often look much younger than they actually are. I walked away with my "almost new" car for just $25k, down from $46k new. Very happy so far.

Favorite Features

I love the aggressive, refined stance of this car. Sports and premium packages are a must. I look for reasons to wash this car. I also love my color combo (jet black, sand interior, black top). I honestly can't decide if it looks better with the top up or down. The drive is unreal, very tight.

Suggested Improvements

OK, yeah, the back seat is small, but I understand the trade-off. I also have some minor electrical concerns: cruise control won't turn on anymore, and the driver's side power seat motor is intermittent at times... little things I'll fix before the extended warranty runs out next year.