Used 2002 BMW 3 Series Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 BMW 3 Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

Fun to drive, repairs necessary when older
By tigeryox

2002 BMW 3 Series 330Ci Rwd 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I've owned a 2002 330Ci Convertible with 88K miles since new. It's definitely a fun car to drive, especially with the top down in good weather. Having said that, it does need some repairs which I thought was more than expected for the mileage or age: - Replaced lower control arm (LCA) bushings - Replaced both LCAs due to one bad ball joint - The dome of the strut towers deformed, common for the E46. Added a $10 reinforcement plate for each - Replaced both broken rear springs, common for the E46 - Passenger seat occupancy sensor broke - Convertible top inner lining torn due to warped plastic inserts If I weren't my own mechanic, these items could be expensive.

- Convertible - Very responsive handling - Great styling - Excellent workmanship

BMW needs to fix a few design and vendor problems. Deformed strut tower should not happen and is a design problem. Broken rear suspension spring is probably a vendor problem, almost unheard of on other cars.

Worst Car I've Ever Owned
By joe77y

2002 BMW 3 Series 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I had a 1997 Lexus SC300 I regret selling. Most solid car ever. I owned Chevy, Honda, Toyota, Nissan, Lexus and now BMW. 2002 BMW 325i I bought with 128,000 miles and has 130,538 miles now (3 months). Everything that can go wrong with these cars has gone wrong. Sun roof stopped working, Roof leaked whenever it rained, Front lower bushings and ball joint went bad. Rears are bad now. Can't get it aligned at local shops, BMW only. Service engine light on P0171 running lean. Saw big tear in intake tube, fixed. but light still on. Burned 2 1/2 quarts of oil within 2,000 miles. Valve cover leaked. Wipers park 10" high. Passenger rear window rail broke on freeway stuck down. CHEAPEST LUXURY CAR!

I do love the way the engine perform. That the only good thing about this brand. "A" rating for engine performance. But not enough reasons to keep.

Use higher quality parts to make cars. I've never had close to this much issues on a car before. I owned my 1995 Honda Accord for 13 years and sold it with 250,000 miles and only had to do brakes, oil changes, coolant and ATF change, and the WORST MOST EXPANSIVE THING WAS buying new tires every 3 to 4 years. Man I thought that was expensive. Everything on the BMW is bring into dealer only. CHEAPST MADE CAR EVER! Google everything I've mention, and you'll see.

2002 BMW 325i
By mikhiett

2002 BMW 3 Series 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I have owned my car for 1 year, 2 months now. I have Oriental Blue paint, black tinted windows, gray leather interior, and 17" optional rims. Automatic M/S transmission. Xenon headlights that light up the entire road. Excellent gas mileage. This car accelerates fast, looks good, sounds good, and has been very reliable with 126k miles. I bought this car with 116k miles. I changed the oil with a special Belgium imported synthetic oil 10k ago. The only expenses I have had are 4 new tires, control arm bushing, valve cover gasket, coolant hose, and fuel pump relay; all total cost under $1500 including tire price, parts, and shop labor. This car is definitely a keeper.

I love the classic/modern mix of BMW styling, and this generation of BMW 3 series jumped out at me and told me to get it. The new models of BMW do not seem to have the classic look. When people see these BMW's on the road, they always look twice. I love the engineering of BMW; the engine, chassis, and mechanisms all perform like a high quality automobile should. It is just as I imagined it would be to drive this car. As with any car, your maintenance depends on how you drive your car.

Some pieces of my outside and inside trim fell off. My headliner is beginning to sag. The corner pillar headliner is loose and hanging a bit. On the 17" rims, I am missing one center lug cap and the BMW logo on the other 3 peeled off. My radio volume button came off and I lost it(still have steering volume control, though). Had some issues with hood cable sticking and hood not opening. Tints interfere with radio reception so I cannot listen to local radio stations without a lot of interference.

Don't believe the naysayers
By irobot1

2002 BMW 3 Series 330i Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

My current 2002 330i Sport is my 4th BMW and 34th car overall so I have some experience. This model of BMW - the E46 - is just plain solid. Yes, there are known issues such as window regulators and water pumps, but when you get past those annoyances and pay attention to the detail in the design of this car they fade into the background. It's easy to do regular maintenance on the car such as oil changes and brake replacements, in part because the parts are made with quality materials and still look like new after 10 years on the road. I think the E46 is possibly the last 3 series to have the classic BMW look and feel, and I have noticed the value of these cars going up in the used market.

The mechanical nature of the steering, braking and handling are incredible, but it still feels like a luxury car. The interior is clean and purposeful, with high quality materials and very few squeaks and rattles, even after 96,000 miles. Even though it's at least 11 years old, I believe it's still one of the best looking cars on the road, especially with the sport package.

None. OK, the window regulators were a really dumb design, and who thought putting plastic blades on a water pump was a good idea?

So far, So good
By scott6364

2002 BMW 3 Series 325xi AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Recently bought a 2002 BMW 325xi as a commuting car for future winter use. Love the looks, handling and value for what I paid for it. Previous owner took great care with this BMW. Looks showroom new and clean. No tears, or wear in the interior and the outside looks new. I cannot compare the gas mileage with what my Saab 9-3 gets, as there is no comparing the 2. But for overall handling, BMW has my Saab beat. Of course front wheel drive to all wheel drive makes a difference, but that was to be expected. I took it today up a canyon highway with many turns and elevations. Did not miss a beat on anything. The car corners like it is on rails, and I was totally blown away by how good this car is

Design of the car, handling on corners, overall comfort. Cannot wait for snow now!