Optimistic first-time owner
By cactusleaf on
2001 BMW 3 Series 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)
I just got a 325i with 143k miles, and I'm loving it so far. Compared to my past Saabs, this thing beats all. Super quiet, supremely comfy, surprising luxuries, and sexy to drive. Styling is essentially timeless; so simple and solid, but very thoughtful. The engine feels perfectly matched to the car, silky and on a hair-trigger. You'd never know it was sub-200hp! Handling, obviously, is absolutely superb. Mine was very well maintained before me, and the thing has held up like a new car. Interior build quality is insane. Everything works, down to the glove box flashlight. I'll report back in a few years, once I experience the inevitable ups and downs, but for now, I must say.. wonderful car.
Favorite Features
The interior is just so solid. It hugs you without being too clingy. The heated seats are phenomenal.. toasty from shoulders to knees! The engine fires up in like two quick cranks and feels like a Beethoven symphony. The growl of the inline-6 is very refined, and just enough to let you know it's a 6. The clutch is light but still provides decent feedback. The layout of the interior is perfect, especially the armrest-shifter configuration. One-touch windows, all of 'em, up AND down! The lighting inside is fantastic, especially when you find the hidden orange glow that shines onto the center console! Exterior looks are just classic.. the car looks so stable. Not aggressive, but confident.
Suggested Improvements
The only thing I can find to dislike so far is the shifter. It feels excellent half the time, but can be unexpectedly notchy. And two annoying things: getting into fifth, and getting into reverse. Both require a surprising bit of effort. Fifth is very tough to get into the first time after starting off, but seems to be fine after that. But reverse is just a bear.. gotta really brute-force the thing over. Maybe that's just my shifter, but if it's by design, it's a bit much. I understand why reverse has to be difficult to get to, but it could just have a lock-out or something instead of incredible resistance. Fifth, though, should be easier. Maybe my synchro is getting worn, I'm not sure yet.
By bamckelvey
on 04/09/14 15:37 PM (PDT)

you will continue to love this car if you treat it right, it will perform beautifully. Must use high quality premium gas and synthetic oil 5/40. i put ceramic brake pads on mine to eliminate brake dust and ceramic lasts a lot longer too. i buy mine at an auto parts store they all have them. Good luck :)