Compromises with Few Compromises
By VA22204guy on
2001 BMW 3 Series 330xi AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)
Purchased this car with 44k miles. Has nearly every option available (sport pkg, xenon, winter, auto). Little did I know how expensive the 50k mi checkup would be $1,400! In addition, I had to replace all four wheels/tires with the horrible Wash, DC potholes. Stuck with the OEM Contis -- mediocre but not too expensive. So, I found the secret to keeping the tires/rims OK: Inflate to 38psi. That stopped the sidewall bubbles and I haven't had a rim problem since (except for my poor parking skills). Since the $1,400 job (two years ago), no major issues. Gas mileage isn't great (city+hwy ~21avg). The best small car I will ever own! Love the AWD, handling, engine, power. A handsome car.
Favorite Features
Handling, AWD, the stereo system -- the HarmonKardon plays beautiful music without bass bloat. I like the rear CD changer. The lack of a compression circuit on the CD, though, is very annoying. Beautiful body lines -- a classic. Fold down seats a huge plus!
Suggested Improvements
Environmental controls are poor (temp isn't full auto -- A/C is manual), defroster button either blasts or nothing, weak rear defrost; tempermental tire package, sport seat lumbar support is still too much even at lowest setting, seat heater is too strong even on the lowest setting.