2001 BMW 3 Series Consumer Review: Best car I have ever owned

2001 BMW 3 Series - Consumer Review

325i Sedan (2.5L 6-cyl. 5-speed Manual)

Best car I have ever owned
By frp on

2001 BMW 3 Series 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this car new, and one of my initial reasons for purchase was the excellent resale value of BMW. However, I immediately decided I was going to keep it at least 10 years! What a fun car to drive! It's comfortable, the MPG is tolerable (esp. with $4/gal premium in Chicago), and it has held up very well over the past 7 yrs. I have heard of E46s from this model year suffering from poor workmanship, but I've not had that with this vehicle. Other than traditional maintenance, I've not had any major failures/repairs. And, yes, maintenance IS pricey, but there are plenty of "foreign car" shops to use.

Styling is just beautiful - interior, seating surfaces, trim. Everything functions as it should, and is where it should be. Handles surprisingly well in winter weather, with the exception of deep, deep snow (where a 4X4 would be your only choice).

At this point, not much to say. Leather on driver's seat has worn in an odd way. Had to replace window control arms (?), and THAT was annoying. Wish that the rims were NOT staggered, so that I could rotate the rather expensive A/S ultra-hi-performance tires.