Used 2001 BMW 3 Series Sedan Consumer Reviews - 143 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 BMW 3 Series Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

BMW is the choice just need a warranty
By keanuration

2001 BMW 3 Series Sedan 330i Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Have been driving this car now for two years and have had my ups and downs. First, I had to replace sensors that amounted to over $1000. Oil level problem, p. driver seat inop, dr. rear window inop, stitching on top back seat began to split, engine service malfunction, p. roof cover broken, paint on hood oxidizing. On the positive side it's a superb road hugger. Great off a dead stop, can really go! Smooth and solid ride without much noise. NO body lean or roll. Relatively small sedan, but still have room in back for two adults. Love the auto up/down windows on all doors. Okay mileage, avg 22 mpg. Bulletproof engine and tranny. Retention of value is great.

This engine seems underrated in power, it can really zoom. Steadfast suspension and road handling manner. Auto up/down windows on all doors. 6 years old but ext. style remains well sought after. The exhaust is tuned just right. Certified Preowned program is great took care of most of the issues.

Standard feature list is a lacking, no CD player, who needs cassettes nowadays? Where are the HIDs especially on a BMW? Improve build quality too many trips to service department. They all know me by name, great for P/R but a bad reflection on their product. $50 deductible ea. service, ridiculous!

Like true love, I'm head over heels.
By True Love!

2001 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Now, I've only had my 2001 BMW 325i for a week, and who knows what will happen, mechanic wise. But, I have never had a car that made me grin ear to ear like my BMW has. Even though I bought it as a used car, the car looks brand new, and feels brand new. Acceleration is smooth and has good pick up especially in higher RPMs. Fantasic exterior, and interior! That being said I can tell already my rear pasgr window is sticking, and will probably need to be replaced! Lucky for me 2 year factory warranty for 3G was not something I was going to gamble with! So, off to the shop in probably in a month! But, it dosn't change the fact that my BMW is the most fun car I've ever driven.

Sports package interior, and steering wheel, as well, as the upgraded speaker system. Can't say enough about the body design! Nothing out there that compares.

Have none yet.

Compromises with Few Compromises
By VA22204guy

2001 BMW 3 Series Sedan 330xi AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Purchased this car with 44k miles. Has nearly every option available (sport pkg, xenon, winter, auto). Little did I know how expensive the 50k mi checkup would be $1,400! In addition, I had to replace all four wheels/tires with the horrible Wash, DC potholes. Stuck with the OEM Contis -- mediocre but not too expensive. So, I found the secret to keeping the tires/rims OK: Inflate to 38psi. That stopped the sidewall bubbles and I haven't had a rim problem since (except for my poor parking skills). Since the $1,400 job (two years ago), no major issues. Gas mileage isn't great (city+hwy ~21avg). The best small car I will ever own! Love the AWD, handling, engine, power. A handsome car.

Handling, AWD, the stereo system -- the HarmonKardon plays beautiful music without bass bloat. I like the rear CD changer. The lack of a compression circuit on the CD, though, is very annoying. Beautiful body lines -- a classic. Fold down seats a huge plus!

Environmental controls are poor (temp isn't full auto -- A/C is manual), defroster button either blasts or nothing, weak rear defrost; tempermental tire package, sport seat lumbar support is still too much even at lowest setting, seat heater is too strong even on the lowest setting.

You must be ready to comprimise!
By Whytry

2001 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I have had my car for a little while now and it seems to be holding up I had a few issues - the moonroof headliner is defective and BMW tried to charge me $1000.00 to fix it - just recall it please, it is defective! My driver's side window is sticking and I am afraid to get it fixed after reading the reviews here that say the window leaks after the repair! I keep burning oil and I will have to see what is causing that. Brakes go fast and cost $800.00 to change. And I had some loose exterior trim through seemingly no fault of my own. Loose interior grill on speaker. Loose mat anchor.

Quick, comfortable, Harmon Kardon system is good. Solid quiet drive. Handles great. Good turning radius.

Too many repairs/defects that are your responsibility to fix. Get a good long warranty if you buy a BMW. No fold down seat.

A Lifesaver
By Judy

2001 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I commute 50 miles round trip to work by way of a winding, mountainous road and this car made me look forward to going to work each day. It was easy to add an iPod cable, and the telescopic/tilt wheel and adjustable seats personalized the car to my body size. I had had the car for almost five years when a deer came out of nowhere and ran into my car, breaking the windows and spraying deer matter all over me and the inside of the car. I survived the accident, only receiving many small glass cuts, some bruising, and a few stitches. The bodyshop people were sure the car saved my life. I cried more for my car's death than for my injuries. What a great, reliable, fun car.

Dash controls tilt toward driver. Telescopic/tilt wheel. The standard sound system. Quiet, comfortable interior. Auto dimming rear view mirror. The sporty look of the exterior. First class treatment by the maintenance department at my dealership.

It's hard to clean around the power seat mechanisms. I wish they'd let you have standard seats as an option. The felt surrounding the doors is hard to keep lint free.