2001 BMW 3 Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:
Rocky start
By r11rs on 10/08/05 18:35 PM (PDT)

2001 BMW 3 Series 325xi AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

This is my 4th BMW in 25 yrs, and by far the worst. Everyone claims this is a 'tight handling car'...I simply don't understand how anyone can say that. Compared to BMWs of the past, this handles like an Oldsmobile! Its so loose, that it is pathetic. The design of the car lends itself to very poor visibility. The blind spots are terrible. Within the first 6 months of ownership, the car broke down 2x, with the same problem (bad auxiliary fan). BMW was difficult to deal with during these problems. Otherwise, reliability is fine.

Pathetic quality
By Mayer Rud on 10/04/05 06:40 AM (PDT)

2001 BMW 3 Series 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

The total of 10(!) window regulators have been replaced in just 21,000 miles. In addition, had to be repaired: electric sunroof, A/C fan speed regulator, windshild (replaced due to bubbles in glass), engine RPM sensor (car began stalling), MPG sensor. Also noticed a leak (on a rainy day) on the floor by the driver side (front). I am not a lawer, but in my book I've got a lemon. BMW must recall all the cars with substandard power window regulators and replace them with the re- engineered ones since the replaced regulators are failing as well. While I like the performance and the look of my car, I am not buying another BMW any time soon. A car is more than just a smooth drivetrain!

Great!! Just as imagined!
By jman on 09/24/05 13:48 PM (PDT)

2001 BMW 3 Series 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Bottom line: it's an excellent car. I have owned the car for almost 2 years and has been great. The only problem I have noticed, as many other BMW owners realize is that the window regulator (not motor!) fails frequently. It is a pain and can be extremely embarrasing; driving in the winter with your window down because of a failed regulator does not encompass the ideal of a luxury car. Other than that problem, the car is fun, sporty, and drives like a dream after 78K miles. The best feature of this car is its performance; it feels like a true sports car, not a family transporter like many Japanese and American cars.

Unsatisfied
By JVT on 09/23/05 10:29 AM (PDT)

2001 BMW 3 Series 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Bought this car for reliability, but it is anything but reliable. There are lots of badly engineered parts that go bad and should be recalled but are not and you are charged for their replacement. Everything seems to cost over $500 to repair. A regular oil change and inspection costs $250. The brakes and tires don't last long, the water pump, alternator and other parts die suddenly before 100K. Now at 120K the car has broken down and left me stranded on the side of the road three times this year. The car does not deserve its reputation.

Fun and Reliable
By Michelle on 09/07/05 09:06 AM (PDT)

2001 BMW 3 Series 330xi AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

My 330xi is by far the best vehicle I have ever owned. Not only is it extremely safe, but it's performance and handling is better than any other car I have driven. Before purchasing, I test drove several others in this class, none of which compared to BMW.

Beware Dreadful Seats
By Robert Ruiz on 08/17/05 14:02 PM (PDT)

2001 BMW 3 Series 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Bought the car at 38,000 miles and have put another 30,000 on it in 10 months of driving. It's been very reliable and only needed one sensor replaced. Post-50,000 mile servicing seemed pricey (quoted $800) but I'm coming from an old Alfa Romeo. Very happy with the car overall except for things such as interior trim rattles (constant) and dreadful seats. My car came with the standard seats and they caused circulation problems and caused left foot problems (no support on left foot and overall it was like sitting on a beach ball with support at center and little on sides). I replaced them with the sports seats and they are much better but can be uncomfortable (very, very firm).

Total Experience
By unix2me on 08/08/05 22:24 PM (PDT)

2001 BMW 3 Series 330i Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I fall into the "always wanted one" category. I finally succumbed to my desire in Sept 04. I only wish I had bought one long before. I opted for the 330 because i wanted the additonal power and creature comforts standard on the 330. The minute I test drove the car I was grinning from ear to ear as the smooth acceleration pushed me into the seat. Stylish, fast with great brakes. Expensive to maintain. Don't buy this model if your not a serious driving enthusiast. Save yourself a few bucks and opt for the 325. But for those of you who love to drive and have the $$$... then this is the car for you.

I Miss My BMW
By Miss my BMW on 07/30/05 23:04 PM (PDT)

2001 BMW 3 Series 325Ci Rwd 2dr Coupe (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I just sold my 325Ci a week ago and miss it every day (2nd baby just arrived). What a great car! My fuel mileage was 34 (hwy + 5-speed trans), wonderful ride and better handeling. Very comfortable seats with the sport package. I think the tool kit and built in flash light are great.

W√ľnderbar!
By Tyree on 07/06/05 16:07 PM (PDT)

2001 BMW 3 Series 325i Rwd 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Wonderful car! Plan on driving the car for years to come and then upgrade to the newer E60 530xi wagon. The exterior and interior design are flawless. The last of the great 3 series. Plenty of room, great gas mileage, comfortable. Great on road trips. Maintenance is affordable when DIY. This is my 3rd BMW and currently own 2. Will continue to buy only BMW's.

Unreliable!
By Brian on 06/11/05 16:38 PM (PDT)

2001 BMW 3 Series 330i Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I just spent over $3,000 for numerous problems: A/C - evaporator leaking ($2,400), Window regulator, $450 - my second window regulator replacement! Also, strange thumping sound from right undercarriage (arm bushings?) $500. The next day the service engine soon light comes on and the oil pressure warning. Ridiculous at 69k miles.