Used 2001 BMW 3 Series Consumer Reviews - 242 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 BMW 3 Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

2001 BMW 330Ci
By fb

2001 BMW 3 Series 330Ci Rwd 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Bought the car in 6/04 when it had 41k miles. Engine has always performed flawlessly. I have the 5 speed manual and it has always been extremely smooth and fun to drive. The car though has consistently had minor cosmetic problems and once these cars have over 80K miles they are VERY expensive to have serviced. Once you pass 100k miles a lot of stuff has to replaced and in my case it's all come up at the same time. With the repair costs approaching half the value of the car, I'm not sure if I want to hang on to it. I still love BMW but whenever I get another one, it will be a new model on a lease so that maint will be covered. Stay away from late model units... too expensive to maintain!

Acceleration, handling, interior/exterior build quality, consistency in performance.

Hard to think of b/c mine is so old (2001) and the newer models are greatly improved. Maybe make the car easier & cheaper to service, that would be helpful.

2001 BMW 325xi
By jeremypresnell

2001 BMW 3 Series 325xi AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Was a little afraid of purchasing this car up front based on what I have heard from other people about BMW's having bad electrical problems, etc. This car has been a very reliable car. No major work other than front CV joints at 110k miles, and front rocker arms at 120k miles. Other than that car has had very minor work... things like thermostat, rear brakes, and front window motor. Car actually gets about 25 mpg, not 20 which is what everywhere has it rated as. Vehicle is expensive to work on but rarely needs work. Not fast by any means but handles amazing. Mine is a manual transmission as well.

Cockpit interior design, fun to drive, great gas mileage.

Car could use more storage space (deeper center console mainly).

Cheap Materials
By Stickwithpre1991BMW

2001 BMW 3 Series 325i Rwd 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

My biggest complaint after wrapping up my 2 year-22k mile experience with this car is the CHEAP plastic, dye, wood, leather, and moleskin used on the interior. I take very good care of my cars with weekly cleaning, detailing. The interior on this car was literally falling apart. The dye was lifting off the plastic console pieces, arm rests on doors and other areas. The moleskin material on the windshield frame was wrinkling up. The sunroof slide was falling apart from Florida heat I think. I have owned 13 BMWs and I will certainly stick with the 1988-older 5 Series, 1991-older 3 series cars for build quality and enjoyment of owning. Not to mention they hold their value better vs. new models

Good suspension/driving characteristic. Fairly good MPG, usually around 24 average city/hwy.

Use better quality material on interior and exterior trim. Fix the rusting problem with foot threshold area in rear door jambs. Watch for oil leaks, coolant system problems and interior quirks.

Fun Reliable Performance Car
By Adrian

2001 BMW 3 Series 330i Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I was not sure if I was going to buy a new Japanese car or a second hand BMW. I made the right choice. Even though this one is 7 years older than a Honda Accord, it handles a lot better, more comfortable and also is still an eye catcher considering its age!! I also ended up paying only $14,000 for it. I only had one problem so far. The heater blower had a mind by itself. I researched and found out I could buy the regulator and replace it myself under the glove box. The repair shop wanted $1000 for it.. it ended up costing me $79. I love it! I am considering buying Lexus next.

The power and speed. It handles best between 85 mph - 120 mph. From my own experience. It wants to go fast! Love the automatic transmission, smooth transitions. Love the overpowered steering!

Interior like Lexus. And I wish I had the premium package!!

All Beamers are fun to drive!!!
By bmwlover

2001 BMW 3 Series 330Ci Rwd 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I purchased the 330 convertible with sport and premium pkg. Love the heated seats, BMW doesn't scrimp on anything. This is my 6th one. I always buy manuals. Car has power (my last car was a Porsche) so I know what I'm talking about. Have had to replace power steering pump and the fan changes speeds at it own desire. Ice cold air conditioning when the fan decides to work. Harman Kardon sound system. Top goes up and down quickly and effortlessly. Not as solid as my previous 5 series but safe, beautiful, and a blast to drive top up or down. 21 mpg city and I drive hills daily. Uses 1 qt. synthetic oil every other tank of gas. BMW says this is normal but expensive and excessive,

Handling, acceleration and braking. Like all BMWs fun to drive

Fix oil burning. No more fan problems.