Used 2001 BMW 3 Series Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 BMW 3 Series Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

They don’t make ‘em like they used to
By Ray in Northern VA

2001 BMW 3 Series Sedan 330i Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Technologies perfected since the Model-T break on this car, which casts a terrible pall on an otherwise great car. Some components are well-built. Most notable of these is the engine. Unfortunately everything around the engine tends to fizzle. The suspension is great, but I burned through “wear items” like ball joints and control arms in under 50k miles. You need a great repair shop to keep the car running well. Warranty is out, so we’re shopping.

Positives: handles extremely well, decent gas mileage on the highway, some high-quality components (like the engine block, frame, thicker sheet metal in doors, etc.), and availability of manual transmission.

Get the small things right. My light sockets melted (parking and tail), windshield wipers work 25 minutes, then need to rest, horn broke blaring until I pulled the fuse, endless list of sensors regularly go bad, climate control system, window regulators (all- some twice), gas cover release, etc.

The best car I will ever own
By Pat E

2001 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this car pre-owned from the dealership. It is definitely the best car I have ever owned. Despite a high resale value (one of my major purchase considerations), I just have no desire to give it up. A good detailing job and it still turns heads. I have had no serious problems with this vehicle. Its power, responsiveness and handling are legendary.

Some of my favorite features include the fold down seats, the key activated power drop of the windows and sunroof retraction (helps defuse the built up heat in Houston summers) and the black sapphire paint which minimizes swirls that can occur with plain black cars.

This model year could really benefit from a sentry lights (lights left on just power down into parking lights... hard to see if they're really on in the daytime) and the low grille in the front always gets trapped over concrete parking guards in parking spaces.

Lemon after 100K miles
By Tom

2001 BMW 3 Series Sedan 330i Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Great name except it is always in the shop. Car troubles include high pressure A/C hose, crankcase vent valve and accessories, hazard switch replaced, front window going down slowly,computer module needs replacement; total repair costs of $1,585. I have burned oil from the moment it left the showroom. One quart every 1,000 to 2,000 miles. I will never buy a BMW again. I thought BMWs last 200K- 250K. It might cost me that in repair bills if I keep it that long.

Gas mileage at 26 town 32 on highway.

BMW is the choice just need a warranty
By keanuration

2001 BMW 3 Series Sedan 330i Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Have been driving this car now for two years and have had my ups and downs. First, I had to replace sensors that amounted to over $1000. Oil level problem, p. driver seat inop, dr. rear window inop, stitching on top back seat began to split, engine service malfunction, p. roof cover broken, paint on hood oxidizing. On the positive side it's a superb road hugger. Great off a dead stop, can really go! Smooth and solid ride without much noise. NO body lean or roll. Relatively small sedan, but still have room in back for two adults. Love the auto up/down windows on all doors. Okay mileage, avg 22 mpg. Bulletproof engine and tranny. Retention of value is great.

This engine seems underrated in power, it can really zoom. Steadfast suspension and road handling manner. Auto up/down windows on all doors. 6 years old but ext. style remains well sought after. The exhaust is tuned just right. Certified Preowned program is great took care of most of the issues.

Standard feature list is a lacking, no CD player, who needs cassettes nowadays? Where are the HIDs especially on a BMW? Improve build quality too many trips to service department. They all know me by name, great for P/R but a bad reflection on their product. $50 deductible ea. service, ridiculous!

Like true love, I'm head over heels.
By True Love!

2001 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Now, I've only had my 2001 BMW 325i for a week, and who knows what will happen, mechanic wise. But, I have never had a car that made me grin ear to ear like my BMW has. Even though I bought it as a used car, the car looks brand new, and feels brand new. Acceleration is smooth and has good pick up especially in higher RPMs. Fantasic exterior, and interior! That being said I can tell already my rear pasgr window is sticking, and will probably need to be replaced! Lucky for me 2 year factory warranty for 3G was not something I was going to gamble with! So, off to the shop in probably in a month! But, it dosn't change the fact that my BMW is the most fun car I've ever driven.

Sports package interior, and steering wheel, as well, as the upgraded speaker system. Can't say enough about the body design! Nothing out there that compares.

Have none yet.