Used 2001 BMW 3 Series Sedan Consumer Reviews - 143 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

Fun Reliable Performance Car
By Adrian

2001 BMW 3 Series Sedan 330i Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I was not sure if I was going to buy a new Japanese car or a second hand BMW. I made the right choice. Even though this one is 7 years older than a Honda Accord, it handles a lot better, more comfortable and also is still an eye catcher considering its age!! I also ended up paying only $14,000 for it. I only had one problem so far. The heater blower had a mind by itself. I researched and found out I could buy the regulator and replace it myself under the glove box. The repair shop wanted $1000 for it.. it ended up costing me $79. I love it! I am considering buying Lexus next.

The power and speed. It handles best between 85 mph - 120 mph. From my own experience. It wants to go fast! Love the automatic transmission, smooth transitions. Love the overpowered steering!

Interior like Lexus. And I wish I had the premium package!!

Average Car
By kawliga

2001 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I have been buying 325is since '92 and this one is the I've kept the longest. These are fine cars but little things bug you and are expensive to fix. I'm sure I will switch to Honda, can't be any more trouble and a lot cheaper. Just finished a 3000 mile trip and averaged 32.2 with the automatic. I was pleased with that.

I think you sit up straighter when driving a BMW, not physically but emotionally.

Give me Honda/Toyota quality.

2001 330i
By vancerd

2001 BMW 3 Series Sedan 330i Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Coolest car I have ever owned by a long shot. This car is a rocket, but I can still get 31 mpg on the highway (if I drive the speed limit).

Performance, fuel economy, quality of fit and finish

Cheaper

Great, if onyl the windows worked
By Joe G

2001 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

The BMW 325i 2001 was a great car to drive, handled the winding road up to Tahoe very well, looked good and sounded awesome. Probably the best driving experience of my life. They really designed it so the driver could hear just enough of the engine to feel like they were driving a sports car. Unfortunately it was all the little features that were crap. Both power windows had to be replaced twice (each) within a 3 year period. After about 4.5 years the electrical component that controlled the car shorted out and the car died in the middle of the highway. Once left the gas cap open and had to go to dealer to reset warning light.

Drove really great, felt awesome going around curves, the car felt liked it hugged the road. And I love the way the engine sounded.

Fix all the "other things!" Come on BMW! Power windows that stop working after 2.5 years?

Best car I have ever owned
By frp

2001 BMW 3 Series Sedan 330i Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this car new, and one of my initial reasons for purchase was the excellent resale value of BMW. However, I immediately decided I was going to keep it at least 10 years! What a fun car to drive! It's comfortable, the MPG is tolerable (esp. with $4/gal premium in Chicago), and it has held up very well over the past 7 yrs. I have heard of E46s from this model year suffering from poor workmanship, but I've not had that with this vehicle. Other than traditional maintenance, I've not had any major failures/repairs. And, yes, maintenance IS pricey, but there are plenty of "foreign car" shops to use.

Styling is just beautiful - interior, seating surfaces, trim. Everything functions as it should, and is where it should be. Handles surprisingly well in winter weather, with the exception of deep, deep snow (where a 4X4 would be your only choice).

At this point, not much to say. Leather on driver's seat has worn in an odd way. Had to replace window control arms (?), and THAT was annoying. Wish that the rims were NOT staggered, so that I could rotate the rather expensive A/S ultra-hi-performance tires.