Used 2001 BMW 3 Series Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

2001 330i
By vancerd

2001 BMW 3 Series Sedan 330i Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Coolest car I have ever owned by a long shot. This car is a rocket, but I can still get 31 mpg on the highway (if I drive the speed limit).

Performance, fuel economy, quality of fit and finish

Cheaper

Great, if onyl the windows worked
By Joe G

2001 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

The BMW 325i 2001 was a great car to drive, handled the winding road up to Tahoe very well, looked good and sounded awesome. Probably the best driving experience of my life. They really designed it so the driver could hear just enough of the engine to feel like they were driving a sports car. Unfortunately it was all the little features that were crap. Both power windows had to be replaced twice (each) within a 3 year period. After about 4.5 years the electrical component that controlled the car shorted out and the car died in the middle of the highway. Once left the gas cap open and had to go to dealer to reset warning light.

Drove really great, felt awesome going around curves, the car felt liked it hugged the road. And I love the way the engine sounded.

Fix all the "other things!" Come on BMW! Power windows that stop working after 2.5 years?

Best car I have ever owned
By frp

2001 BMW 3 Series Sedan 330i Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this car new, and one of my initial reasons for purchase was the excellent resale value of BMW. However, I immediately decided I was going to keep it at least 10 years! What a fun car to drive! It's comfortable, the MPG is tolerable (esp. with $4/gal premium in Chicago), and it has held up very well over the past 7 yrs. I have heard of E46s from this model year suffering from poor workmanship, but I've not had that with this vehicle. Other than traditional maintenance, I've not had any major failures/repairs. And, yes, maintenance IS pricey, but there are plenty of "foreign car" shops to use.

Styling is just beautiful - interior, seating surfaces, trim. Everything functions as it should, and is where it should be. Handles surprisingly well in winter weather, with the exception of deep, deep snow (where a 4X4 would be your only choice).

At this point, not much to say. Leather on driver's seat has worn in an odd way. Had to replace window control arms (?), and THAT was annoying. Wish that the rims were NOT staggered, so that I could rotate the rather expensive A/S ultra-hi-performance tires.

Performs, but sensors and cold not good
By John

2001 BMW 3 Series Sedan 330i Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

For the first 3 years I owned the car, I only needed to change the oil and some minor maintenance, but in Feb of 2007, it was a chilly -20 degrees Fahrenheit and the crankcase vent froze up and it hasn't been the same sense. In fact, it happened again in Jan 2008. I was able to have it brought to BMW who graciously covered $3800 of the $4000 repair bill. Since then, I have had an oil sensor replaced, dipstick brake off and now my rear suspension coil needs to be replaced (not sure how that could have broken). My next car will be a Honda or Nissan..

Handling is incredible, a great car to drive on curves and it is fast from a stop and stops on a dime

BMW's cold weather testing facility in Sweden may need to moved to Canada or Minnesota. It gets much colder here.

Love BMWs
By D

2001 BMW 3 Series Sedan 330i Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I love my 330i since I bought it. The best gas mileage I have ever seen. This is my second BMW. I go typically one full week and two days off of a full tank, using 91 octane. My ultimate goal is to get a 5 or 7 series though. This car handles great at 120 mph plus. Mine is a 5 speed w/ sports pkg. Regretfully, I will have to sell it soon to get an SUV. I would highly reccommend this style for anyone looking to purchase one that has a smaller family and wants a head turner. They are not hard cars to work on. Servicing and tire rotation every 3000 miles help to keep from having any unforeseen problems, but only take to someone you trust to work on.

Great gas mileage!! Fast, dependable solid engine. Comfort. Heated seats both passenger and driver. Tail pipe sound. Harmon Kardon radio has a lot of bass. Windows roll down and up with the key.

The vinyl the doors are made of. Needs another material that is easier to keep clean especially having beige interior.