Used 2001 BMW 3 Series Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 BMW 3 Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

2001 bmw 325xi leaks alot
By leaks alot

2001 BMW 3 Series 325xi AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I have owned a bmw 325xi since 2001. The car handles great but is very expensive to maintain. I have had all four doors leak. Fixing the vapor barriers on the doors still does not solve the problems. Rust will start to appear on body around the lower doors from a break in the seal that covers the weld along the edge. Rust also appears on the metal lip that is below the door edge and above the plastic trim. Rust will also break out below the trunk bottom lip. Rust will also appear on the trunk lip below the classic kidney bean intakes. I have had to replace three power window motors I think because of water leaking into the door.

car's handling

Fix the problem with the door leaks. It is as if bmw when designing the car was trying to purposely rust away the 2001 325xi model. BMW should at least find a fix for this problem and let there customers know how to fix it.

Solid Car
By KarFn

2001 BMW 3 Series 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I've loved this car and am loathe to part with it (I've owned it for over 7 years). All is running great..knock wood. Never had any major maintenance issues. I love the way it drives...solid. Exterior is sporty. Interior is functional, yet basic. No complaints.

Loved this car for 4 years until....
By maverick1012

2001 BMW 3 Series 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I've owned this car for 4 years now and put atleast 20,000 miles on it per year. Drove many 5,000+ road trips, handled extremely well, love the power and acceleration. Loved the overall experience UNTIL this past January (1/09) my car decided to die. I quote my mechanic when I say "the car has demons!" It decided when it wants to start, stalls when it wants to, it's been in the shop for 3 weeks with no resolution. I absolutely loved this car until now :/

Comfortable interior, beautiful exterior, loved everything about it!

2001 BMW 330Ci
By fb

2001 BMW 3 Series 330Ci Rwd 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Bought the car in 6/04 when it had 41k miles. Engine has always performed flawlessly. I have the 5 speed manual and it has always been extremely smooth and fun to drive. The car though has consistently had minor cosmetic problems and once these cars have over 80K miles they are VERY expensive to have serviced. Once you pass 100k miles a lot of stuff has to replaced and in my case it's all come up at the same time. With the repair costs approaching half the value of the car, I'm not sure if I want to hang on to it. I still love BMW but whenever I get another one, it will be a new model on a lease so that maint will be covered. Stay away from late model units... too expensive to maintain!

Acceleration, handling, interior/exterior build quality, consistency in performance.

Hard to think of b/c mine is so old (2001) and the newer models are greatly improved. Maybe make the car easier & cheaper to service, that would be helpful.

2001 BMW 325xi
By jeremypresnell

2001 BMW 3 Series 325xi AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Was a little afraid of purchasing this car up front based on what I have heard from other people about BMW's having bad electrical problems, etc. This car has been a very reliable car. No major work other than front CV joints at 110k miles, and front rocker arms at 120k miles. Other than that car has had very minor work... things like thermostat, rear brakes, and front window motor. Car actually gets about 25 mpg, not 20 which is what everywhere has it rated as. Vehicle is expensive to work on but rarely needs work. Not fast by any means but handles amazing. Mine is a manual transmission as well.

Cockpit interior design, fun to drive, great gas mileage.

Car could use more storage space (deeper center console mainly).