Used 2001 BMW 3 Series 325i Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

Unsatisfied
By JVT

2001 BMW 3 Series 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Bought this car for reliability, but it is anything but reliable. There are lots of badly engineered parts that go bad and should be recalled but are not and you are charged for their replacement. Everything seems to cost over $500 to repair. A regular oil change and inspection costs $250. The brakes and tires don't last long, the water pump, alternator and other parts die suddenly before 100K. Now at 120K the car has broken down and left me stranded on the side of the road three times this year. The car does not deserve its reputation.

Favorite Features

Trip computer.

Suggested Improvements

Extend the warranty. Replace without cost any parts that fail repeatedly on many vehicles.

Beware Dreadful Seats
By Robert Ruiz

2001 BMW 3 Series 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Bought the car at 38,000 miles and have put another 30,000 on it in 10 months of driving. It's been very reliable and only needed one sensor replaced. Post-50,000 mile servicing seemed pricey (quoted $800) but I'm coming from an old Alfa Romeo. Very happy with the car overall except for things such as interior trim rattles (constant) and dreadful seats. My car came with the standard seats and they caused circulation problems and caused left foot problems (no support on left foot and overall it was like sitting on a beach ball with support at center and little on sides). I replaced them with the sports seats and they are much better but can be uncomfortable (very, very firm).

Favorite Features

Styling, interior and exterior, and Steptronic transmission (3 modes of driving, sport, manual or automatic, and the result is power when you need/want it but great fuel economy too), and having driving both the 325 and the 330 the 330 seems not worth the extra money. Love the car except as noted.

Suggested Improvements

Learn how to make seats, BMW. Neither of your seats works well and is more about looks and gimmicks than actual comfort. You seem to have a love/hate relationship with your customers. Love getting their cash. Hate seeing them after you've got it. I would never buy another BMW after this.

Love my car
By Troy C

2001 BMW 3 Series 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

The 325i is the best car Ive ever owned.It has plenty of power and drives like a dream.The only squibble is that its expensive to work on.I lovedriving it anywhere.

Favorite Features

Driving performance

Suggested Improvements

Make affordable to repair

never again
By lg72

2001 BMW 3 Series 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

In the 2 years I've owned this car I've had to replace 4 power window motors, 3 diff sensors and some temp gauge for the A/C... thank god it's under warranty. But the warranty expires in Nov and I'm selling and never buying another BMW. Way too high maintenace. The roadside assistance guy told me they're great in the Alps... but that's about it.

Favorite Features

Fun to drive.

Suggested Improvements

power window motors that last more than 1-2 years.

Be Afraid, Be VERY Afraid
By DowninTX

2001 BMW 3 Series 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I warn you - do NOT buy a BMW! I was very excited when I bought my BMW 325i new in 2001 - after shelling out lots of cash for the car, I expected it to hold up, but I was let down quickly. In the 3 years that I've owned the car, I've had to replace all of the window motors, sunroof motor, CD player, engine sensor, & now my air conditioner!!! CRAZY!!!!!!!

Favorite Features

None at this point.

Suggested Improvements

Everything - I'll NEVER buy a BMW again.