2001 BMW 3 Series Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:
I LOVE MY CAR!
By JessicainFrederick on 02/26/06 08:52 AM (PST)

2001 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I would buy this car again in a heartbeat. I have never had a problem with it. It's fun to drive, zippy! With the exception of a couple of dings, still looks, feel and drives as if it was brand new.

good car
By coupequattro on 02/17/06 13:57 PM (PST)

2001 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325xi AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

The car is fun to drive. Handles well in dry summer driving. I'm not impressed with the all wheel drive in DSC mode. My 1990 Coupe Quattro could run circles around the 325xi in snow. With the DSC shut off the car is very unsafe unless you have a good snow tire on it. I also removed the CDV which made a HUGE difference in clutch/shifting performance. If you have a manual get rid of the CDV and save your clutch... I also don't believe in the 15ooo mile oil service. Take oil filler cap on your valve cover after 7k miles and look at the yellow and white sludge in there... Change the oil every 2500-3000 miles and you will not see that build up. If buying used have the car inspected at indep. shop

Still fun
By cabimmer on 12/30/05 18:15 PM (PST)

2001 BMW 3 Series Sedan 330i Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Bought this car after owning a 95 M3 for its four doors, steptronic tranny and luxury features. Still fun to drive, always feel the difference after being in the wife's Lexus SUV. BMW engine, tranny and handling are great, but the interior and electronics are subpar. The newer ones are getting better, but I just don't think the germans know as much about electronics as the japanese do (I've owned 2 BMW's, 2 VW's, and 2 Honda's). On the flip side, BMW just feels better on the road than the japanese cars do. Overall a very positive experience!

2001 325i
By bakedflounder on 12/24/05 10:25 AM (PST)

2001 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I just got this car and am blown away by all the well-thought-out features. It's classy, fast and luxurious. This car combines sports performace with luxury. I don't feel like I'm in a tin can at all... VERY SOLID.

Rocky start
By r11rs on 10/08/05 18:35 PM (PDT)

2001 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325xi AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

This is my 4th BMW in 25 yrs, and by far the worst. Everyone claims this is a 'tight handling car'...I simply don't understand how anyone can say that. Compared to BMWs of the past, this handles like an Oldsmobile! Its so loose, that it is pathetic. The design of the car lends itself to very poor visibility. The blind spots are terrible. Within the first 6 months of ownership, the car broke down 2x, with the same problem (bad auxiliary fan). BMW was difficult to deal with during these problems. Otherwise, reliability is fine.

Pathetic quality
By Mayer Rud on 10/04/05 06:40 AM (PDT)

2001 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

The total of 10(!) window regulators have been replaced in just 21,000 miles. In addition, had to be repaired: electric sunroof, A/C fan speed regulator, windshild (replaced due to bubbles in glass), engine RPM sensor (car began stalling), MPG sensor. Also noticed a leak (on a rainy day) on the floor by the driver side (front). I am not a lawer, but in my book I've got a lemon. BMW must recall all the cars with substandard power window regulators and replace them with the re- engineered ones since the replaced regulators are failing as well. While I like the performance and the look of my car, I am not buying another BMW any time soon. A car is more than just a smooth drivetrain!

Great!! Just as imagined!
By jman on 09/24/05 13:48 PM (PDT)

2001 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Bottom line: it's an excellent car. I have owned the car for almost 2 years and has been great. The only problem I have noticed, as many other BMW owners realize is that the window regulator (not motor!) fails frequently. It is a pain and can be extremely embarrasing; driving in the winter with your window down because of a failed regulator does not encompass the ideal of a luxury car. Other than that problem, the car is fun, sporty, and drives like a dream after 78K miles. The best feature of this car is its performance; it feels like a true sports car, not a family transporter like many Japanese and American cars.

Unsatisfied
By JVT on 09/23/05 10:29 AM (PDT)

2001 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Bought this car for reliability, but it is anything but reliable. There are lots of badly engineered parts that go bad and should be recalled but are not and you are charged for their replacement. Everything seems to cost over $500 to repair. A regular oil change and inspection costs $250. The brakes and tires don't last long, the water pump, alternator and other parts die suddenly before 100K. Now at 120K the car has broken down and left me stranded on the side of the road three times this year. The car does not deserve its reputation.

Fun and Reliable
By Michelle on 09/07/05 09:06 AM (PDT)

2001 BMW 3 Series Sedan 330xi AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

My 330xi is by far the best vehicle I have ever owned. Not only is it extremely safe, but it's performance and handling is better than any other car I have driven. Before purchasing, I test drove several others in this class, none of which compared to BMW.

Beware Dreadful Seats
By Robert Ruiz on 08/17/05 14:02 PM (PDT)

2001 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Bought the car at 38,000 miles and have put another 30,000 on it in 10 months of driving. It's been very reliable and only needed one sensor replaced. Post-50,000 mile servicing seemed pricey (quoted $800) but I'm coming from an old Alfa Romeo. Very happy with the car overall except for things such as interior trim rattles (constant) and dreadful seats. My car came with the standard seats and they caused circulation problems and caused left foot problems (no support on left foot and overall it was like sitting on a beach ball with support at center and little on sides). I replaced them with the sports seats and they are much better but can be uncomfortable (very, very firm).