Used 2001 BMW 3 Series 325i Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

A Lifesaver
By Judy

2001 BMW 3 Series 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I commute 50 miles round trip to work by way of a winding, mountainous road and this car made me look forward to going to work each day. It was easy to add an iPod cable, and the telescopic/tilt wheel and adjustable seats personalized the car to my body size. I had had the car for almost five years when a deer came out of nowhere and ran into my car, breaking the windows and spraying deer matter all over me and the inside of the car. I survived the accident, only receiving many small glass cuts, some bruising, and a few stitches. The bodyshop people were sure the car saved my life. I cried more for my car's death than for my injuries. What a great, reliable, fun car.

Favorite Features

Dash controls tilt toward driver. Telescopic/tilt wheel. The standard sound system. Quiet, comfortable interior. Auto dimming rear view mirror. The sporty look of the exterior. First class treatment by the maintenance department at my dealership.

Suggested Improvements

It's hard to clean around the power seat mechanisms. I wish they'd let you have standard seats as an option. The felt surrounding the doors is hard to keep lint free.

I LOVE MY CAR!
By JessicainFrederick

2001 BMW 3 Series 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I would buy this car again in a heartbeat. I have never had a problem with it. It's fun to drive, zippy! With the exception of a couple of dings, still looks, feel and drives as if it was brand new.

2001 325i
By bakedflounder

2001 BMW 3 Series 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I just got this car and am blown away by all the well-thought-out features. It's classy, fast and luxurious. This car combines sports performace with luxury. I don't feel like I'm in a tin can at all... VERY SOLID.

Favorite Features

Moonroof, volume/stereo controls on the steering wheel.

Suggested Improvements

There are 2 items that could use improvement. The accelerator feel is "loose" at slow acceleration speeds. There is a little play in the pedal before it responds. Secondly, the window controls would be better on the driver's door, like in most other vehicles.

Pathetic quality
By Mayer Rud

2001 BMW 3 Series 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

The total of 10(!) window regulators have been replaced in just 21,000 miles. In addition, had to be repaired: electric sunroof, A/C fan speed regulator, windshild (replaced due to bubbles in glass), engine RPM sensor (car began stalling), MPG sensor. Also noticed a leak (on a rainy day) on the floor by the driver side (front). I am not a lawer, but in my book I've got a lemon. BMW must recall all the cars with substandard power window regulators and replace them with the re- engineered ones since the replaced regulators are failing as well. While I like the performance and the look of my car, I am not buying another BMW any time soon. A car is more than just a smooth drivetrain!

Favorite Features

Performance, handling, road feel, look

Suggested Improvements

BMW needs to change its attitude and promptly resolve the reliability issues. The window regulators need to be re-engineered and replaced on the recall basis. Have the BMW heard about 'life testing'?

Great!! Just as imagined!
By jman

2001 BMW 3 Series 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Bottom line: it's an excellent car. I have owned the car for almost 2 years and has been great. The only problem I have noticed, as many other BMW owners realize is that the window regulator (not motor!) fails frequently. It is a pain and can be extremely embarrasing; driving in the winter with your window down because of a failed regulator does not encompass the ideal of a luxury car. Other than that problem, the car is fun, sporty, and drives like a dream after 78K miles. The best feature of this car is its performance; it feels like a true sports car, not a family transporter like many Japanese and American cars.

Favorite Features

Peppy performer, excellent gas mileage (it needs premium gas (91AKI) but gets 25 mpg in city and 31 mpg on the highway). Excellent handling, and most importantly; it is fun. I will never buy another American or Japanese car again!

Suggested Improvements

Make better regulators! It is embarrasing and can turn someone away from a great car. More standard features like power seats, cruise control, 6 disc CD player, and leather.