Used 2001 BMW 3 Series Sedan Consumer Reviews - 143 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 BMW 3 Series Sedan

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

Fabulous Buy
By ptarmigan

2001 BMW 3 Series Sedan 330xi AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought my 330xi over 11 years ago and now have 110,000+ miles with it (still without having to replace brake pads!).
Most recently I put Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires on it which improves its already impressive handling in bad weather.
It's incredibly fun to drive and has been relatively economical to maintain.

The handling, performance and ride are outstanding as is its overall construction.

The visibility out the back is restricted for shorter drivers. The front window defrost could have more fan speeds -- the "high" level is noisy and a bit much for any lenghth of time. The manual transmission was overly tight when the car was new but is easier to shift now with some age.

BEST car I have owned!
By cathomp5

This car is AMAZING!
I have the 330i with automatic transmission, the sport package and the premium Harman Kardon sound system(Which sounds like a movie theatre in your car).
I've had the car a little over a year and bought it with aprox. 93,000 miles.
The exterior styling is timeless, the interior is of higher quality materials and the engine and body are very solid.
Only thing I would change is the window up and down assembly inside the doors.
They seem to break easily, which I've read in other reviews.
Other than that I've been very happy with this car and will probably purchase another one when the time comes.

The Harman Kardon sound system, Heated Mirrors The small particulate matter sensor which will automatically switch to re-circulate cabin air if it detects high polution.

Window up and down assembly inside doors needs improved. Fuel Economy

Great Car!
By chamoh78

2001 BMW 3 Series Sedan 330i Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

This was a very used car when I got it. I purchased the vehicle with approx. 90K knowing that BMW is of higher quality and the car would last longer than most. The 100K service wasn't cheap, but I knew this before I bought the car. This is my first Bimmer and it certainly won't be my last. I may never own another brand, unless I want a truck...

The sport mode of the tranny. I love knowing my car will out handle most other, higher horsepower, vehicles with ease.

For some reason my back screams at me if I travel more than 100 miles at a time. I just can't get it comfortable. Lower maintenance cost.

Had it for 10 years and 150K miles later
By Beamer family

2001 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

and still drives great! We bought our BMW 10 years ago at 40K miles from a friend. Since we have owned it, we have been in a couple of fender benders, got paint splashed on it, and now the power windows are going out but the original transmission still drives like the first day we bought it and very strong! You feel the difference in a BMW vs. say a Lexus or any other Japanese car! It hugs the road and you are total control of your car. We're expecting to get another 50K miles on it and plan to hand it down to our son then we are upgrading to a 330 convertible.

Everything

none

Love This Car
By Jeff

2001 BMW 3 Series Sedan 330i Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I've had my 330i for 10 years and dread the day I have to give it up. I've had some minor problems, but over 6 years out of warranty I've spent less than $1,000 on repairs and maintenance. User forums have saved me considerably, e.g., found good replacement battery for $75 at Autozone; repaired runaway blower motor by replacing a resister; replaced brake pads and preserved wear sensors. The real joy is in the ride; great handling and a feel for the road you just don't find in other cars. I test drove this car down a winding road and was sold at the first hard turn and lost all my bargaining leverage when I gave a little moan of pleasure(the dealer knew what he was doing).

Handling is unbelievable. Mileage is good,sometimes exceeds 30 mpg on highway. Ride is smooth with the right tires (General Exclaims). Leather is just showing some wear on the piping after 102,000 miles. The dynamic stability control makes it difficult to even force a spin in snowy conditions.

Windshield must be soft glass and I was considering replacing because of all the minuscule chips that reduced vision when looking into the sun. Fortunately, I was hit by a rock and had to replace the window. Wheel well liner is too easily damaged by heavy snow and ice (but easily replaced).