2001 BMW 3 Series Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:
Loved this car for 4 years until....
By maverick1012 on 02/10/09 11:31 AM (PST)

2001 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I've owned this car for 4 years now and put atleast 20,000 miles on it per year. Drove many 5,000+ road trips, handled extremely well, love the power and acceleration. Loved the overall experience UNTIL this past January (1/09) my car decided to die. I quote my mechanic when I say "the car has demons!" It decided when it wants to start, stalls when it wants to, it's been in the shop for 3 weeks with no resolution. I absolutely loved this car until now :/

2001 BMW 325xi
By jeremypresnell on 12/23/08 11:38 AM (PST)

2001 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325xi AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Was a little afraid of purchasing this car up front based on what I have heard from other people about BMW's having bad electrical problems, etc. This car has been a very reliable car. No major work other than front CV joints at 110k miles, and front rocker arms at 120k miles. Other than that car has had very minor work... things like thermostat, rear brakes, and front window motor. Car actually gets about 25 mpg, not 20 which is what everywhere has it rated as. Vehicle is expensive to work on but rarely needs work. Not fast by any means but handles amazing. Mine is a manual transmission as well.

Fun Reliable Performance Car
By Adrian on 12/02/08 22:43 PM (PST)

2001 BMW 3 Series Sedan 330i Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I was not sure if I was going to buy a new Japanese car or a second hand BMW. I made the right choice. Even though this one is 7 years older than a Honda Accord, it handles a lot better, more comfortable and also is still an eye catcher considering its age!! I also ended up paying only $14,000 for it. I only had one problem so far. The heater blower had a mind by itself. I researched and found out I could buy the regulator and replace it myself under the glove box. The repair shop wanted $1000 for it.. it ended up costing me $79. I love it! I am considering buying Lexus next.

Average Car
By kawliga on 08/13/08 16:53 PM (PDT)

2001 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I have been buying 325is since '92 and this one is the I've kept the longest. These are fine cars but little things bug you and are expensive to fix. I'm sure I will switch to Honda, can't be any more trouble and a lot cheaper. Just finished a 3000 mile trip and averaged 32.2 with the automatic. I was pleased with that.

2001 330i
By vancerd on 07/01/08 05:39 AM (PDT)

2001 BMW 3 Series Sedan 330i Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Coolest car I have ever owned by a long shot. This car is a rocket, but I can still get 31 mpg on the highway (if I drive the speed limit).

Great, if onyl the windows worked
By Joe G on 05/30/08 16:03 PM (PDT)

2001 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

The BMW 325i 2001 was a great car to drive, handled the winding road up to Tahoe very well, looked good and sounded awesome. Probably the best driving experience of my life. They really designed it so the driver could hear just enough of the engine to feel like they were driving a sports car. Unfortunately it was all the little features that were crap. Both power windows had to be replaced twice (each) within a 3 year period. After about 4.5 years the electrical component that controlled the car shorted out and the car died in the middle of the highway. Once left the gas cap open and had to go to dealer to reset warning light.

Best car I have ever owned
By frp on 04/22/08 07:04 AM (PDT)

2001 BMW 3 Series Sedan 330i Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this car new, and one of my initial reasons for purchase was the excellent resale value of BMW. However, I immediately decided I was going to keep it at least 10 years! What a fun car to drive! It's comfortable, the MPG is tolerable (esp. with $4/gal premium in Chicago), and it has held up very well over the past 7 yrs. I have heard of E46s from this model year suffering from poor workmanship, but I've not had that with this vehicle. Other than traditional maintenance, I've not had any major failures/repairs. And, yes, maintenance IS pricey, but there are plenty of "foreign car" shops to use.

Performs, but sensors and cold not good
By John on 04/04/08 09:55 AM (PDT)

2001 BMW 3 Series Sedan 330i Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

For the first 3 years I owned the car, I only needed to change the oil and some minor maintenance, but in Feb of 2007, it was a chilly -20 degrees Fahrenheit and the crankcase vent froze up and it hasn't been the same sense. In fact, it happened again in Jan 2008. I was able to have it brought to BMW who graciously covered $3800 of the $4000 repair bill. Since then, I have had an oil sensor replaced, dipstick brake off and now my rear suspension coil needs to be replaced (not sure how that could have broken). My next car will be a Honda or Nissan..

Love BMWs
By D on 03/24/08 10:04 AM (PDT)

2001 BMW 3 Series Sedan 330i Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I love my 330i since I bought it. The best gas mileage I have ever seen. This is my second BMW. I go typically one full week and two days off of a full tank, using 91 octane. My ultimate goal is to get a 5 or 7 series though. This car handles great at 120 mph plus. Mine is a 5 speed w/ sports pkg. Regretfully, I will have to sell it soon to get an SUV. I would highly reccommend this style for anyone looking to purchase one that has a smaller family and wants a head turner. They are not hard cars to work on. Servicing and tire rotation every 3000 miles help to keep from having any unforeseen problems, but only take to someone you trust to work on.

They don’t make ‘em like they used to
By Ray in Northern VA on 12/01/07 12:14 PM (PST)

2001 BMW 3 Series Sedan 330i Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Technologies perfected since the Model-T break on this car, which casts a terrible pall on an otherwise great car. Some components are well-built. Most notable of these is the engine. Unfortunately everything around the engine tends to fizzle. The suspension is great, but I burned through “wear items” like ball joints and control arms in under 50k miles. You need a great repair shop to keep the car running well. Warranty is out, so we’re shopping.