Used 2001 BMW 3 Series Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 BMW 3 Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

My 2nd 3 Series
By tslbmw

2001 BMW 3 Series 330i Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

After owning a 91 318is, I knew that my next car would be another Bimmer. My new (to me) 01 BMW 330i, white/tan leather, 5 spd, premium pkg, sport pkg, HK sound system & Xenon, is a major step forward. Everything from the silky smooth I6 and perfect manual tranny to the beautiful exterior (especially the M style double spoke wheels included in the sport pkg) and purposeful interior are BMW perfect. The mid range torque is neverending and the car corners like it's on rails. I find the lighter steering effort around town to be fine; however, a little more feedback wouldn't be a bad thing. This is a great car that I would highly recommend to anyone looking for a TRUE SPORTS sedan.

5 speed manaul tranny, exterior lines, HK sounds system, the M wheels, & most of all, the 3.0 I6

Little bit more steering feedback

a winner
By RH

2001 BMW 3 Series 325xi AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I have never driven a 'tighter' vehicle in all of my driving years (40 years+). I am impressed with everything about this vehicle...from the design to the power and added amenities. It is a 'fun' drive. The only issue that I unwittingly experienced was the 'service engine soon' light coming on unexepectedly once. For fear of causing damage, I immediately called the dealer. They suggested that I probably didn't put the gas cap back on correctly after a recent gas fill. They were right...a simple fix. I love the car and will buy again.

quickness of vehicle; heated seats; Indivdual master keys move seats and mirrors to pre-set settings for each driver (my wife and I)

Cup holders are minimal. Basically there is only 1 usable holder - to use the second built in holder, you need to lift the armrest. That is not good enough. There aren't any in the back seat.

Beach Lovers Dream
By Fun2Drive

2001 BMW 3 Series 330Ci Rwd 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

The 330ci is one of my favorite cars I have owned to date. Fun to drive, great looks, and no mechanical or cosmetic problems. I can see why this vehicle is one of the most wanted cars rated by consumers. Thanks BMW!!!

Everything

Making this vehicle a two seater model. The Z4 is great, but the looks of the 330 are even greater.

Lemon?
By bhunter

2001 BMW 3 Series 330xi AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Have loved driving the car, although as mentioned previously, the sound system is lame, the defroster is 100% fullblast or nothing, and we too have had tire/wheel issues. We have had it in the shop 16 times in 3.5 years for various problems, almost every other month since we bought it.The service managers say, "It's a high performance vehicle", to which I reply,"It's a high maintenance vehicle." What about that famous engineering? I'd never buy another, it's not that fun, and the reality is, most driving is commuting in heavy traffic, little chance to enjoy the performance within.

Power and handling. It is a blast to drive on open roads and in the mountains of Colorado. Behaves very well in snow too.

Larger! The Nissan Altima feels like a750IL in comparison (leg-room, length,interior space), and 330xi performanceis not far enough ahead of the competition to warrant the price,especially with the reliability issues!

My fifth BMW
By ecsail

2001 BMW 3 Series 330i Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Yes, that's right. This is my fifth BMW. I buy these cars because they have excellent design inside and out, they are built well, and they are a lot of fun to drive. This car has been a little disappointing, however. Unlike every other BMW I have owned, this one has given me a little trouble. It cost me about $1100 so far. Hopefully,the problem is fixed. I have 121,000 miles on this car and not a rattle or vibration anywhere. Still rides and drives like new! I can't help it - I love these cars! This is the first one ever to give me a problem.

High performance, high quality, and economy in one package.

No recommendations for improvement. But, if you buy one, I would recommend avoiding the M sport package (which I bought). The tires are very soft, very expensive and need repalcing about every 15,000 miles. I would rather have the regular suspension and tires which last 60,000 miles.