Used 2001 BMW 3 Series Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Bmw 3-series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

Sporty Fun for your four legged kids
By Sporty Furry Fun

2001 BMW 3 Series Wagon 325i Rwd 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

This is a SPORTS WAGON at its best. It drives like a small sports car, yet has the capacity of most larger SUVs. We load our dogs and bikes for weekend camping/hikes and golfing trips. The built in pet screen is great for safety and keeping the furry snouts in the back of the car. We love this car, plan to keep it for years.

Favorite Features

Built in Pet restrainer, large sunroof and high performance engine. The car responds well in traffic and is very comfortable on the highway.

Suggested Improvements

A little higher clearance would be good, like an Outback for travel in "light" off road conditions.

Fun family hauler
By boombatz

2001 BMW 3 Series Wagon 325i Rwd 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Sport / Premium package a must have! Corners on like it's reading your mind first. Immediate response from the wheel with minimal body roll & incredible balance for a wagon. For extra fun, switch off DSC & find the twistiest road around. Excellent build quality & reliability, no major problems. I use it more than my Trailblazer for family trips. Cargo area is cavernous, easily fitting a double stroller & weekend luggage for wife 2 kids & I.

Favorite Features

Sport package, on board computer, overall balance & total feeling of connectedness with car & self.

Suggested Improvements

Electric window controls need to be moved off center console around shift lever to doors.

AWD BMW Wagon is hard to beat
By MYBIRD67

2001 BMW 3 Series Wagon 325xi AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I was looking for a small SUV when I found this jewel. I was sold by the combination of the AWD and manual transmission. It handles like you would expect a BMW 3 series would, with the amazing bonus of all-weather traction plus 30 mpg highway. This car takes me and my ski-racing kids to ski areas all winter long and has not let us down. Once the vehicle went out of warranty I turned its service over to an independent BMW mechanic. So long as you stay current on recommended maintenance. Only issue has been a water pump failure requiring a tow - $380 later back on the road with no problems. The sport package is worth it for the bolstered seats. My favorite winter driver ever.

Favorite Features

Sport seats with heaters, all wheel drive, slick-shifting manual, xenon headlights, fold-down rear seats, BMW road feel, rear hatch window opens separately from door, did I mention AWD?

Suggested Improvements

Roof rack unnecessary and noisy on the wagon unless you're hauling a Thule box. Stock stereo only average.

WŁnderbar!
By Tyree

2001 BMW 3 Series Wagon 325i Rwd 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Wonderful car! Plan on driving the car for years to come and then upgrade to the newer E60 530xi wagon. The exterior and interior design are flawless. The last of the great 3 series. Plenty of room, great gas mileage, comfortable. Great on road trips. Maintenance is affordable when DIY. This is my 3rd BMW and currently own 2. Will continue to buy only BMW's.

Favorite Features

Alpine White and Black interior combination. Steptronic. 184 hp. Easy to work on and for DIY projects.

Suggested Improvements

No problems whatsoever. Typical wheel bearing replacement taken care of under warranty as well as window motors. Hoping one day that BMW will again send diesel's to the states. A 325xid would be superior!

Great car if you can afford it
By OhioBoy

2001 BMW 3 Series Wagon 325i Rwd 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Car is fun to drive, comfortable, and good looking. I can't say enough good about this car. Little thoughtful features on the car make it fantastic to own, like the passenger rearview mirror folds down in reverse for parallel parking, there's a flashlight in the glove box charged off the car and the car comes from the factory already set up for a roof rack (my "official" BMW rack doesn't touch the paint). Big things that are nice are traction control (saved my behind in the snowy/crap weather here) & heated seats. Had to have one window motor replaced (under warranty thankfully). Maintenance is very pricey too ($800 for brakes, $100 oil change), as is the premium fuel.

Favorite Features

Seat heat has 3 settings and heats up fast. Engine has more than adequate hpower/torque for passing/merging/racing honda punks. Handles better than expected in winter. Little design features are extremely practical and useful. Other than window motor,never had any mechanical problems with this car.

Suggested Improvements

More or better storage for regular stuff (sunglasses etc.) & fold down rear seats would be nice. Front cupholder is a little weird to use with two cups. Car is very expensive to maintain, and requires premium fuel, but I guess that's to be expected with any premium type car.