Used 2001 BMW 3 Series Coupe Consumer Reviews - 48 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

2001 BMW 330Ci
By fb

2001 BMW 3 Series Coupe 330Ci Rwd 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Bought the car in 6/04 when it had 41k miles. Engine has always performed flawlessly. I have the 5 speed manual and it has always been extremely smooth and fun to drive. The car though has consistently had minor cosmetic problems and once these cars have over 80K miles they are VERY expensive to have serviced. Once you pass 100k miles a lot of stuff has to replaced and in my case it's all come up at the same time. With the repair costs approaching half the value of the car, I'm not sure if I want to hang on to it. I still love BMW but whenever I get another one, it will be a new model on a lease so that maint will be covered. Stay away from late model units... too expensive to maintain!

Acceleration, handling, interior/exterior build quality, consistency in performance.

Hard to think of b/c mine is so old (2001) and the newer models are greatly improved. Maybe make the car easier & cheaper to service, that would be helpful.

DON'T DO IT !
By TonyRock

2001 BMW 3 Series Coupe 330Ci Rwd 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

The car is nice looking and fun to drive but if you expect it to be quality you are dead wrong. My coolant tank bursed after 100K which caused my head gasket to break and now the care is basically worthless. If you want to drive this car for a few years and have fun fine. But I wouldn't hold it after 70K miles! Little things go on it all the time. BMW is over rated!

Handling.

Parts, quality.

325Ci, fun but not cheap
By killorhome

2001 BMW 3 Series Coupe 325Ci Rwd 2dr Coupe (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Right from start of ownership, several trips to shop (moonroof, front passenger seat, trunk lock, body molding, O2 sensor) thank good covered by new car warranty. Car not aging well. While still looks & drives great, several sensors (MAF,PCV & steering angle) all have gone bad within 1 year. Total expected cost $1600! Not to mention several interior trim pieces (C-pillar liner, both driver/passenger window moldings & the gear shift knob are either broken or falling off!!) I got a feeling I'm getting ready for a major break down & it might be time to sell.

Driving performance. Meant to put to the test. I love taking this car on any twisty road. This car makes me a much better/more confident driver. Also exterior styling still turns heads wherever I go.

Better reliability. Not exactly Ford territory but definately expected more from a BMW. Parts & service are simply way over priced.

Check before you buy
By hadjistefcho

2001 BMW 3 Series Coupe 330Ci Rwd 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I got it used at 69000 miles. Amazed by low end torque, but annoyed by DSC intervention at quick take offs. Engine sounds nice even at high rpm, exhaust as well all the time. Quiet and comfortable ride. Nice and precise handling all the time. Lots of available upgrades for power, styling and suspension, although most are gimmicks. The car is fun as she is, but supercharger will make her a beast. On the bad side: door and window trims loosen and need to be glued over and over. Stalls due to needed software update. Control arms and bushings need replacement after 70000 miles. Sunroof shade fixed due to poor materials used. Snow tires are a must in snow. High maintenance unless DIY.

Power at first and second gear. Precise manual shifts and stick shift feel. It has a spring that returns the stick back to neutral. Very addictive engine sound. When not listening to the engine, audio systems is a nice alternative.

I can't think of any. If you want more power, get E46 M3 or install upgrades. If you want more luxury and room, buy 5 or 7 series. If you are annoyed by entry/exit the car purchase sedan version. I am so sorry that I sold her. The car handled exactly the way I wanted her to.

The Ultimate Driving Experience
By fjd330Ci

2001 BMW 3 Series Coupe 330Ci Rwd 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this car brand new and have owned it for over 6 years. Driving this car is one of the few enjoyments of going to work in the morning. The maintenace could get expensive so I've herd, I've been working on cars as a hobby since before I could drive and do most of my own wrench turning. I've had some minor mechanical issues that are out side of the routine maintenance stuff that I was able to repair on my own. The only disappointment was the automatic transmission It needed to be replaced after a little over 100K. Lifetime fluid does not mean lifetime. I only have on regret and that is not getting the manual tranny.

Excellent road hugger. Most fun to drive on a curvy mountain road even if you're only doing 40 in 2nd.

Unless you do a lot of city driving get the manual tranny. If you get the steptronic plan on changing the fluid every 50-60K my local indy shop charges about $400 most of that is the cost of the fluid.