2001 BMW 3 Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:
Great, if onyl the windows worked
By Joe G on 05/30/08 16:03 PM (PDT)

2001 BMW 3 Series 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

The BMW 325i 2001 was a great car to drive, handled the winding road up to Tahoe very well, looked good and sounded awesome. Probably the best driving experience of my life. They really designed it so the driver could hear just enough of the engine to feel like they were driving a sports car. Unfortunately it was all the little features that were crap. Both power windows had to be replaced twice (each) within a 3 year period. After about 4.5 years the electrical component that controlled the car shorted out and the car died in the middle of the highway. Once left the gas cap open and had to go to dealer to reset warning light.

The best car I will ever own
By Pat E on 09/16/07 08:05 AM (PDT)

2001 BMW 3 Series 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this car pre-owned from the dealership. It is definitely the best car I have ever owned. Despite a high resale value (one of my major purchase considerations), I just have no desire to give it up. A good detailing job and it still turns heads. I have had no serious problems with this vehicle. Its power, responsiveness and handling are legendary.

Like true love, I'm head over heels.
By True Love! on 11/27/06 18:06 PM (PST)

2001 BMW 3 Series 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Now, I've only had my 2001 BMW 325i for a week, and who knows what will happen, mechanic wise. But, I have never had a car that made me grin ear to ear like my BMW has. Even though I bought it as a used car, the car looks brand new, and feels brand new. Acceleration is smooth and has good pick up especially in higher RPMs. Fantasic exterior, and interior! That being said I can tell already my rear pasgr window is sticking, and will probably need to be replaced! Lucky for me 2 year factory warranty for 3G was not something I was going to gamble with! So, off to the shop in probably in a month! But, it dosn't change the fact that my BMW is the most fun car I've ever driven.

You must be ready to comprimise!
By Whytry on 09/16/06 13:55 PM (PDT)

2001 BMW 3 Series 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I have had my car for a little while now and it seems to be holding up I had a few issues - the moonroof headliner is defective and BMW tried to charge me $1000.00 to fix it - just recall it please, it is defective! My driver's side window is sticking and I am afraid to get it fixed after reading the reviews here that say the window leaks after the repair! I keep burning oil and I will have to see what is causing that. Brakes go fast and cost $800.00 to change. And I had some loose exterior trim through seemingly no fault of my own. Loose interior grill on speaker. Loose mat anchor.

A Lifesaver
By Judy on 09/13/06 21:44 PM (PDT)

2001 BMW 3 Series 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I commute 50 miles round trip to work by way of a winding, mountainous road and this car made me look forward to going to work each day. It was easy to add an iPod cable, and the telescopic/tilt wheel and adjustable seats personalized the car to my body size. I had had the car for almost five years when a deer came out of nowhere and ran into my car, breaking the windows and spraying deer matter all over me and the inside of the car. I survived the accident, only receiving many small glass cuts, some bruising, and a few stitches. The bodyshop people were sure the car saved my life. I cried more for my car's death than for my injuries. What a great, reliable, fun car.

I LOVE MY CAR!
By JessicainFrederick on 02/26/06 08:52 AM (PST)

2001 BMW 3 Series 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I would buy this car again in a heartbeat. I have never had a problem with it. It's fun to drive, zippy! With the exception of a couple of dings, still looks, feel and drives as if it was brand new.

2001 325i
By bakedflounder on 12/24/05 10:25 AM (PST)

2001 BMW 3 Series 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I just got this car and am blown away by all the well-thought-out features. It's classy, fast and luxurious. This car combines sports performace with luxury. I don't feel like I'm in a tin can at all... VERY SOLID.

Pathetic quality
By Mayer Rud on 10/04/05 06:40 AM (PDT)

2001 BMW 3 Series 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

The total of 10(!) window regulators have been replaced in just 21,000 miles. In addition, had to be repaired: electric sunroof, A/C fan speed regulator, windshild (replaced due to bubbles in glass), engine RPM sensor (car began stalling), MPG sensor. Also noticed a leak (on a rainy day) on the floor by the driver side (front). I am not a lawer, but in my book I've got a lemon. BMW must recall all the cars with substandard power window regulators and replace them with the re- engineered ones since the replaced regulators are failing as well. While I like the performance and the look of my car, I am not buying another BMW any time soon. A car is more than just a smooth drivetrain!

Great!! Just as imagined!
By jman on 09/24/05 13:48 PM (PDT)

2001 BMW 3 Series 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Bottom line: it's an excellent car. I have owned the car for almost 2 years and has been great. The only problem I have noticed, as many other BMW owners realize is that the window regulator (not motor!) fails frequently. It is a pain and can be extremely embarrasing; driving in the winter with your window down because of a failed regulator does not encompass the ideal of a luxury car. Other than that problem, the car is fun, sporty, and drives like a dream after 78K miles. The best feature of this car is its performance; it feels like a true sports car, not a family transporter like many Japanese and American cars.

Unsatisfied
By JVT on 09/23/05 10:29 AM (PDT)

2001 BMW 3 Series 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Bought this car for reliability, but it is anything but reliable. There are lots of badly engineered parts that go bad and should be recalled but are not and you are charged for their replacement. Everything seems to cost over $500 to repair. A regular oil change and inspection costs $250. The brakes and tires don't last long, the water pump, alternator and other parts die suddenly before 100K. Now at 120K the car has broken down and left me stranded on the side of the road three times this year. The car does not deserve its reputation.