Used 2001 BMW 3 Series Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 BMW 3 Series Sedan

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

Beware Dreadful Seats
By Robert Ruiz

2001 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Bought the car at 38,000 miles and have put another 30,000 on it in 10 months of driving. It's been very reliable and only needed one sensor replaced. Post-50,000 mile servicing seemed pricey (quoted $800) but I'm coming from an old Alfa Romeo. Very happy with the car overall except for things such as interior trim rattles (constant) and dreadful seats. My car came with the standard seats and they caused circulation problems and caused left foot problems (no support on left foot and overall it was like sitting on a beach ball with support at center and little on sides). I replaced them with the sports seats and they are much better but can be uncomfortable (very, very firm).

Favorite Features

Styling, interior and exterior, and Steptronic transmission (3 modes of driving, sport, manual or automatic, and the result is power when you need/want it but great fuel economy too), and having driving both the 325 and the 330 the 330 seems not worth the extra money. Love the car except as noted.

Suggested Improvements

Learn how to make seats, BMW. Neither of your seats works well and is more about looks and gimmicks than actual comfort. You seem to have a love/hate relationship with your customers. Love getting their cash. Hate seeing them after you've got it. I would never buy another BMW after this.

Total Experience
By unix2me

2001 BMW 3 Series Sedan 330i Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I fall into the "always wanted one" category. I finally succumbed to my desire in Sept 04. I only wish I had bought one long before. I opted for the 330 because i wanted the additonal power and creature comforts standard on the 330. The minute I test drove the car I was grinning from ear to ear as the smooth acceleration pushed me into the seat. Stylish, fast with great brakes. Expensive to maintain. Don't buy this model if your not a serious driving enthusiast. Save yourself a few bucks and opt for the 325. But for those of you who love to drive and have the $$$... then this is the car for you.

Favorite Features

Smooth tranny. Powerful brakes. Sexy exterior styling. No nonsense purposeful interior. Cornering and oh the way the growling engine note turns my lady on!

Suggested Improvements

CD changer should be standard. Sport seats should be standard.

Unreliable!
By Brian

2001 BMW 3 Series Sedan 330i Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I just spent over $3,000 for numerous problems: A/C - evaporator leaking ($2,400), Window regulator, $450 - my second window regulator replacement! Also, strange thumping sound from right undercarriage (arm bushings?) $500. The next day the service engine soon light comes on and the oil pressure warning. Ridiculous at 69k miles.

Flawless 4 yr 330xi
By EJKrew

2001 BMW 3 Series Sedan 330xi AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

The car has been trouble free and a blast to drive. No need to worry about the weather ahead of you with full time AWD! Oil changes and brake fluid replacement has been all that has been needed. Rock solid, no rattles or squeaks.

Favorite Features

All wheel drive plus BMW 3 series powertrain.

Suggested Improvements

Self dimming rear view mirror could respond to light a bit faster.

Its a blast !!!
By Double D

2001 BMW 3 Series Sedan 330i Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I purchased a 2001 BMW 330i CPO car, which is the only way to go but typically will cost you a few more duckies. Great car, tremendous torque versus the 325i and the steptronic AT is perfect. No complaints except for a tall person, its a little tough getting in and out.

Favorite Features

The engine and transmission.

Suggested Improvements

Better seating