Used 2001 BMW 3 Series 325i Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

Cheap Materials
By Stickwithpre1991BMW

2001 BMW 3 Series Wagon 325i Rwd 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

My biggest complaint after wrapping up my 2 year-22k mile experience with this car is the CHEAP plastic, dye, wood, leather, and moleskin used on the interior. I take very good care of my cars with weekly cleaning, detailing. The interior on this car was literally falling apart. The dye was lifting off the plastic console pieces, arm rests on doors and other areas. The moleskin material on the windshield frame was wrinkling up. The sunroof slide was falling apart from Florida heat I think. I have owned 13 BMWs and I will certainly stick with the 1988-older 5 Series, 1991-older 3 series cars for build quality and enjoyment of owning. Not to mention they hold their value better vs. new models

Favorite Features

Good suspension/driving characteristic. Fairly good MPG, usually around 24 average city/hwy.

Suggested Improvements

Use better quality material on interior and exterior trim. Fix the rusting problem with foot threshold area in rear door jambs. Watch for oil leaks, coolant system problems and interior quirks.

2001 BMW 325i Sport Wagon
By BimmerDrvr

2001 BMW 3 Series Wagon 325i Rwd 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

My E46 wagon has 108k miles and is an automatic. I have owned Audi A4 and S4 wagons prior to this. The BMW has better interior leg room and cargo room than the audi. I just made a 1600 mile trip in the BMW and averaged 31.7 MPG at average 71.3 MPH. So far the BMW has only needed basic maintenance with the exception of window motor problems (warrantied) and the rear seatbelt stuck and won't work (out of warranty). The AC evaporator also needs replacement due to a leak, but has worked flawlessly since refilling with a leak stopper. Overall the BMW is a great touring car and safe family cruiser.

Favorite Features

Front/rear leg room and rear cargo room. Comfortable seating for long trips. Rear seatbelt design and tethering straps are great for car seats. Easy to work on for a do-it-yourselfer with a Bentley manual. Online forums make troubleshooting easy and save you a ton of money!

Suggested Improvements

Better leather quality. Sunroof sliding panel is cheap and gets stuck.

Worth Every Dime
By MotoMook

2001 BMW 3 Series Wagon 325i Rwd 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Having put 6-figures on both Hondas and Acuras, I was a "reluctant adopter" of the blue propeller. After my first 160,000 miles I cannot say enough about the fabled BMW experience. Not a rattle, timeless looks (IMHO) and the standard suspension splits the difference between firm and comfy brilliantly. The 6- banger is the smoothest ever and the "mere" 175 hp feels like a lot more. Durable? I hit a cow at 60 mph and drove my car home UNINJURED without ANY leaky fluids ($8000 damage). I swear by the 3 platform...

Favorite Features

Motor. Timeless Beauty. Dash. Design/Interior.

Suggested Improvements

Simplify the bundling of features perhaps.

Sporty Fun for your four legged kids
By Sporty Furry Fun

2001 BMW 3 Series Wagon 325i Rwd 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

This is a SPORTS WAGON at its best. It drives like a small sports car, yet has the capacity of most larger SUVs. We load our dogs and bikes for weekend camping/hikes and golfing trips. The built in pet screen is great for safety and keeping the furry snouts in the back of the car. We love this car, plan to keep it for years.

Favorite Features

Built in Pet restrainer, large sunroof and high performance engine. The car responds well in traffic and is very comfortable on the highway.

Suggested Improvements

A little higher clearance would be good, like an Outback for travel in "light" off road conditions.

Fun family hauler
By boombatz

2001 BMW 3 Series Wagon 325i Rwd 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Sport / Premium package a must have! Corners on like it's reading your mind first. Immediate response from the wheel with minimal body roll & incredible balance for a wagon. For extra fun, switch off DSC & find the twistiest road around. Excellent build quality & reliability, no major problems. I use it more than my Trailblazer for family trips. Cargo area is cavernous, easily fitting a double stroller & weekend luggage for wife 2 kids & I.

Favorite Features

Sport package, on board computer, overall balance & total feeling of connectedness with car & self.

Suggested Improvements

Electric window controls need to be moved off center console around shift lever to doors.