2001 BMW 3 Series Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:
2001 Xi Wagon
By ARP on 05/02/10 05:37 AM (PDT)

2001 BMW 3 Series Wagon 325xi AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I just passed 245,000 miles and am still using the original clutch, AC compressor, starter, window motors, engine computers and most other parts. With proper maintenance it has been a great car. I average about $300 per month in maintenance but keep it in perfect condition which is far cheaper than buying another new car. At 150,000 the entire suspension was replaced, new brakes and tires. It was like a new car. Still uses no oil, changed every 10K.

Cheap Materials
By Stickwithpre1991BMW on 12/03/08 21:09 PM (PST)

2001 BMW 3 Series Wagon 325i Rwd 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

My biggest complaint after wrapping up my 2 year-22k mile experience with this car is the CHEAP plastic, dye, wood, leather, and moleskin used on the interior. I take very good care of my cars with weekly cleaning, detailing. The interior on this car was literally falling apart. The dye was lifting off the plastic console pieces, arm rests on doors and other areas. The moleskin material on the windshield frame was wrinkling up. The sunroof slide was falling apart from Florida heat I think. I have owned 13 BMWs and I will certainly stick with the 1988-older 5 Series, 1991-older 3 series cars for build quality and enjoyment of owning. Not to mention they hold their value better vs. new models

2001 BMW 325i Sport Wagon
By BimmerDrvr on 06/23/07 11:42 AM (PDT)

2001 BMW 3 Series Wagon 325i Rwd 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

My E46 wagon has 108k miles and is an automatic. I have owned Audi A4 and S4 wagons prior to this. The BMW has better interior leg room and cargo room than the audi. I just made a 1600 mile trip in the BMW and averaged 31.7 MPG at average 71.3 MPH. So far the BMW has only needed basic maintenance with the exception of window motor problems (warrantied) and the rear seatbelt stuck and won't work (out of warranty). The AC evaporator also needs replacement due to a leak, but has worked flawlessly since refilling with a leak stopper. Overall the BMW is a great touring car and safe family cruiser.

My second 325xi wagon!
By Cessna67304 on 08/11/06 12:36 PM (PDT)

2001 BMW 3 Series Wagon 325xi AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

This is my second 325xi wagon. I love them. Versatile, fun, looks great. I'll drive them until they die.

Worth Every Dime
By MotoMook on 05/31/06 15:54 PM (PDT)

2001 BMW 3 Series Wagon 325i Rwd 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Having put 6-figures on both Hondas and Acuras, I was a "reluctant adopter" of the blue propeller. After my first 160,000 miles I cannot say enough about the fabled BMW experience. Not a rattle, timeless looks (IMHO) and the standard suspension splits the difference between firm and comfy brilliantly. The 6- banger is the smoothest ever and the "mere" 175 hp feels like a lot more. Durable? I hit a cow at 60 mph and drove my car home UNINJURED without ANY leaky fluids ($8000 damage). I swear by the 3 platform...

Sporty Fun for your four legged kids
By Sporty Furry Fun on 04/05/06 13:54 PM (PDT)

2001 BMW 3 Series Wagon 325i Rwd 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

This is a SPORTS WAGON at its best. It drives like a small sports car, yet has the capacity of most larger SUVs. We load our dogs and bikes for weekend camping/hikes and golfing trips. The built in pet screen is great for safety and keeping the furry snouts in the back of the car. We love this car, plan to keep it for years.

Fun family hauler
By boombatz on 03/21/06 05:20 AM (PST)

2001 BMW 3 Series Wagon 325i Rwd 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Sport / Premium package a must have! Corners on like it's reading your mind first. Immediate response from the wheel with minimal body roll & incredible balance for a wagon. For extra fun, switch off DSC & find the twistiest road around. Excellent build quality & reliability, no major problems. I use it more than my Trailblazer for family trips. Cargo area is cavernous, easily fitting a double stroller & weekend luggage for wife 2 kids & I.

AWD BMW Wagon is hard to beat
By MYBIRD67 on 01/16/06 18:21 PM (PST)

2001 BMW 3 Series Wagon 325xi AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I was looking for a small SUV when I found this jewel. I was sold by the combination of the AWD and manual transmission. It handles like you would expect a BMW 3 series would, with the amazing bonus of all-weather traction plus 30 mpg highway. This car takes me and my ski-racing kids to ski areas all winter long and has not let us down. Once the vehicle went out of warranty I turned its service over to an independent BMW mechanic. So long as you stay current on recommended maintenance. Only issue has been a water pump failure requiring a tow - $380 later back on the road with no problems. The sport package is worth it for the bolstered seats. My favorite winter driver ever.

W√ľnderbar!
By Tyree on 07/06/05 16:07 PM (PDT)

2001 BMW 3 Series Wagon 325i Rwd 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Wonderful car! Plan on driving the car for years to come and then upgrade to the newer E60 530xi wagon. The exterior and interior design are flawless. The last of the great 3 series. Plenty of room, great gas mileage, comfortable. Great on road trips. Maintenance is affordable when DIY. This is my 3rd BMW and currently own 2. Will continue to buy only BMW's.

Great car if you can afford it
By OhioBoy on 04/29/05 10:24 AM (PDT)

2001 BMW 3 Series Wagon 325i Rwd 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Car is fun to drive, comfortable, and good looking. I can't say enough good about this car. Little thoughtful features on the car make it fantastic to own, like the passenger rearview mirror folds down in reverse for parallel parking, there's a flashlight in the glove box charged off the car and the car comes from the factory already set up for a roof rack (my "official" BMW rack doesn't touch the paint). Big things that are nice are traction control (saved my behind in the snowy/crap weather here) & heated seats. Had to have one window motor replaced (under warranty thankfully). Maintenance is very pricey too ($800 for brakes, $100 oil change), as is the premium fuel.