Used 2001 BMW 3 Series Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 BMW 3 Series Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

2001 Xi Wagon
By ARP

2001 BMW 3 Series Wagon 325xi AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I just passed 245,000 miles and am still using the original clutch, AC compressor, starter, window motors, engine computers and most other parts. With proper maintenance it has been a great car. I average about $300 per month in maintenance but keep it in perfect condition which is far cheaper than buying another new car. At 150,000 the entire suspension was replaced, new brakes and tires. It was like a new car. Still uses no oil, changed every 10K.

All wheel drive. Recently plowed a road that had 24" of new snow for about half a mile. Used it like a ram. I was surprised it worked.

Squeaky rear window, fixed only with the volume of the radio. Actually not too bad at all.

Cheap Materials
By Stickwithpre1991BMW

2001 BMW 3 Series Wagon 325i Rwd 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

My biggest complaint after wrapping up my 2 year-22k mile experience with this car is the CHEAP plastic, dye, wood, leather, and moleskin used on the interior. I take very good care of my cars with weekly cleaning, detailing. The interior on this car was literally falling apart. The dye was lifting off the plastic console pieces, arm rests on doors and other areas. The moleskin material on the windshield frame was wrinkling up. The sunroof slide was falling apart from Florida heat I think. I have owned 13 BMWs and I will certainly stick with the 1988-older 5 Series, 1991-older 3 series cars for build quality and enjoyment of owning. Not to mention they hold their value better vs. new models

Good suspension/driving characteristic. Fairly good MPG, usually around 24 average city/hwy.

Use better quality material on interior and exterior trim. Fix the rusting problem with foot threshold area in rear door jambs. Watch for oil leaks, coolant system problems and interior quirks.

2001 BMW 325i Sport Wagon
By BimmerDrvr

2001 BMW 3 Series Wagon 325i Rwd 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

My E46 wagon has 108k miles and is an automatic. I have owned Audi A4 and S4 wagons prior to this. The BMW has better interior leg room and cargo room than the audi. I just made a 1600 mile trip in the BMW and averaged 31.7 MPG at average 71.3 MPH. So far the BMW has only needed basic maintenance with the exception of window motor problems (warrantied) and the rear seatbelt stuck and won't work (out of warranty). The AC evaporator also needs replacement due to a leak, but has worked flawlessly since refilling with a leak stopper. Overall the BMW is a great touring car and safe family cruiser.

Front/rear leg room and rear cargo room. Comfortable seating for long trips. Rear seatbelt design and tethering straps are great for car seats. Easy to work on for a do-it-yourselfer with a Bentley manual. Online forums make troubleshooting easy and save you a ton of money!

Better leather quality. Sunroof sliding panel is cheap and gets stuck.

My second 325xi wagon!
By Cessna67304

2001 BMW 3 Series Wagon 325xi AWD 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

This is my second 325xi wagon. I love them. Versatile, fun, looks great. I'll drive them until they die.

Handles like a dream. 4 wheel drive is great in snow.

Worth Every Dime
By MotoMook

2001 BMW 3 Series Wagon 325i Rwd 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Having put 6-figures on both Hondas and Acuras, I was a "reluctant adopter" of the blue propeller. After my first 160,000 miles I cannot say enough about the fabled BMW experience. Not a rattle, timeless looks (IMHO) and the standard suspension splits the difference between firm and comfy brilliantly. The 6- banger is the smoothest ever and the "mere" 175 hp feels like a lot more. Durable? I hit a cow at 60 mph and drove my car home UNINJURED without ANY leaky fluids ($8000 damage). I swear by the 3 platform...

Motor. Timeless Beauty. Dash. Design/Interior.

Simplify the bundling of features perhaps.