Used 2001 BMW 3 Series 330xi Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

Fabulous Buy
By ptarmigan

2001 BMW 3 Series Sedan 330xi AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought my 330xi over 11 years ago and now have 110,000+ miles with it (still without having to replace brake pads!). Most recently I put Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires on it which improves its already impressive handling in bad weather. It's incredibly fun to drive and has been relatively economical to maintain.

The handling, performance and ride are outstanding as is its overall construction.

The visibility out the back is restricted for shorter drivers. The front window defrost could have more fan speeds -- the "high" level is noisy and a bit much for any lenghth of time. The manual transmission was overly tight when the car was new but is easier to shift now with some age.

Compromises with Few Compromises
By VA22204guy

2001 BMW 3 Series Sedan 330xi AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Purchased this car with 44k miles. Has nearly every option available (sport pkg, xenon, winter, auto). Little did I know how expensive the 50k mi checkup would be $1,400! In addition, I had to replace all four wheels/tires with the horrible Wash, DC potholes. Stuck with the OEM Contis -- mediocre but not too expensive. So, I found the secret to keeping the tires/rims OK: Inflate to 38psi. That stopped the sidewall bubbles and I haven't had a rim problem since (except for my poor parking skills). Since the $1,400 job (two years ago), no major issues. Gas mileage isn't great (city+hwy ~21avg). The best small car I will ever own! Love the AWD, handling, engine, power. A handsome car.

Handling, AWD, the stereo system -- the HarmonKardon plays beautiful music without bass bloat. I like the rear CD changer. The lack of a compression circuit on the CD, though, is very annoying. Beautiful body lines -- a classic. Fold down seats a huge plus!

Environmental controls are poor (temp isn't full auto -- A/C is manual), defroster button either blasts or nothing, weak rear defrost; tempermental tire package, sport seat lumbar support is still too much even at lowest setting, seat heater is too strong even on the lowest setting.

Best car I have ever owned!!
By Cary A. Storchan

2001 BMW 3 Series Sedan 330xi AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Before I leased this car in 2001, I had driven much larger sedans, (Audi, Acura, Infiniti) and never considered a much smaller car. That is until I drove the BMW 330xi. I bought the car in 2004 when it came off lease and have continued to enjoy as much as the first time I drove it. I have enhanced it's performance with several Dinan add-ons. and it performs like a bat out of hell. Other than routine maintenance, and the addition of the Dinan equipment, the car has not required any service. The AWD feature is a great in the winter, in the rain, on the highways and on the track. Most of driving involves road trips and I generally average almost 30 mpg. The car handles like a dream.

My car is fully decked out with every feature that BMW offered in 2001. The AWD, the suspension and the HK sound system are great. The adjustable heated seats with the lumbar support make long drives comfortable. The engine is trouble free. The car is rock solid.

I wouldn't change a thing on the car, including the body style. I do not like the the new body style. The only improvements I suggest are those that I made by installing Dinan performance equipment. The car was great before, but it's unbelievable now.

Fun and Reliable
By Michelle

2001 BMW 3 Series Sedan 330xi AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

My 330xi is by far the best vehicle I have ever owned. Not only is it extremely safe, but it's performance and handling is better than any other car I have driven. Before purchasing, I test drove several others in this class, none of which compared to BMW.

Navigation system, rain sensing windshield wipers and the automatic tilt on the side view mirrors.

Only to make the 330xi in a convertible!

Flawless 4 yr 330xi
By EJKrew

2001 BMW 3 Series Sedan 330xi AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

The car has been trouble free and a blast to drive. No need to worry about the weather ahead of you with full time AWD! Oil changes and brake fluid replacement has been all that has been needed. Rock solid, no rattles or squeaks.

All wheel drive plus BMW 3 series powertrain.

Self dimming rear view mirror could respond to light a bit faster.