2001 BMW 3 Series Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:
Optimistic first-time owner
By cactusleaf on 02/03/14 22:31 PM (PST)

2001 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I just got a 325i with 143k miles, and I'm loving it so far. Compared to my past Saabs, this thing beats all. Super quiet, supremely comfy, surprising luxuries, and sexy to drive. Styling is essentially timeless; so simple and solid, but very thoughtful. The engine feels perfectly matched to the car, silky and on a hair-trigger. You'd never know it was sub-200hp! Handling, obviously, is absolutely superb. Mine was very well maintained before me, and the thing has held up like a new car. Interior build quality is insane. Everything works, down to the glove box flashlight. I'll report back in a few years, once I experience the inevitable ups and downs, but for now, I must say.. wonderful car.

Problems consistently
By moras on 10/31/12 07:49 AM (PDT)

2001 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

The front plate of the BMW was damaged with the outside temperature sensor after 3 months. BMW refused to replace on warranty. The generator failed, the bolts on the underpart of the car were replaced at a cost of $250 within 3 years and no warranty. Note I had the extended warranty purchase for 3 years. Generator replaced after 5 years. Oil leaks valve gasket cover replaced by dealer yet the oil leaks are from the hoses and oil filter area which was not replaced. Total amount spent is 5K which I have not spent with an American car driven to 170M miles.

I Wanted to Like but...
By butterflyp on 08/08/12 13:44 PM (PDT)

2001 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I would not recommend buying this car unless you have a warranty and an extra car. I have had this car 4 years and spent over $8k on repairs. Window regulators, water pump which took out the idler, drive belt, alternator and power steering, many gaskets. Covers for the side view mirror blew off while driving and the other detached itself somehow. Driver's side door leaks. Headliner is loose. The leather around the passenger door speakers is coming loose. The ac stopped blowing air shortly after the driver side window stopped working. Twice I've had a major stall in the fast lane on the frwy AND as if the car was finally ashamed if what is , the BMW emblem on the hood fell off!!

Had it for 10 years and 150K miles later
By Beamer family on 09/30/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

and still drives great! We bought our BMW 10 years ago at 40K miles from a friend. Since we have owned it, we have been in a couple of fender benders, got paint splashed on it, and now the power windows are going out but the original transmission still drives like the first day we bought it and very strong! You feel the difference in a BMW vs. say a Lexus or any other Japanese car! It hugs the road and you are total control of your car. We're expecting to get another 50K miles on it and plan to hand it down to our son then we are upgrading to a 330 convertible.

2001 BMW 3 Series
By SaLiMoS on 08/18/10 11:23 AM (PDT)

2001 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I purchased my BMW 1 week ago and i am loving it, well it's fun Driving it and it's very comfortable and Powerful. All what i did to the car after purchasing it is changing Filters and Engine Oil, which is a normal service check after buying a used car.

BMW's are VERY Over-rated
By shoo on 02/01/10 16:57 PM (PST)

2001 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Found a 2001 BMW 325I with only 34K miles on it! Thought I had found a steal! Found out I was robbed! Had this car less than a year and have had to replace headlight assembly, front grille trim, rear window motor. Oil light comes on randomly! Worst of all, when it rains the interior leaks so bad it would make a great fish bowl! No one can find where it's coming from! Biggest piece of junk I've ever owned! Now I know why it only had 34K miles on it, no one wanted the piece of junk! My first and last BMW!

Who said BMW was reliable?
By Picky Driver on 06/02/09 19:17 PM (PDT)

2001 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Simply put, great piece of driving engineering. But, The Germans really need to figure out better electronic systems. I love my BMW, purchased it with 78,000 miles, and grabbed a 2 year extended warranty for 2,500. Totaling 19,500. THE FACTS - I researched the car vigilantly before I went to the dealership. Leaning towards not purchasing a BMW before I even step onto the lot. But, I wanted to drive the car, then make a decision. DO NOT do this if you are comparing the BMW to say a HONDA or Toyota. There is no comparison and is not fair. Beautiful to look at, a real treat to drive around in. WARNING!!! - I spent about 3,000 on repairs in 2 years. Lucky me, the warranty covered 90% of it.

Solid Car
By KarFn on 04/01/09 11:29 AM (PDT)

2001 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I've loved this car and am loathe to part with it (I've owned it for over 7 years). All is running great..knock wood. Never had any major maintenance issues. I love the way it drives...solid. Exterior is sporty. Interior is functional, yet basic. No complaints.

Loved this car for 4 years until....
By maverick1012 on 02/10/09 11:31 AM (PST)

2001 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I've owned this car for 4 years now and put atleast 20,000 miles on it per year. Drove many 5,000+ road trips, handled extremely well, love the power and acceleration. Loved the overall experience UNTIL this past January (1/09) my car decided to die. I quote my mechanic when I say "the car has demons!" It decided when it wants to start, stalls when it wants to, it's been in the shop for 3 weeks with no resolution. I absolutely loved this car until now :/

Average Car
By kawliga on 08/13/08 16:53 PM (PDT)

2001 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I have been buying 325is since '92 and this one is the I've kept the longest. These are fine cars but little things bug you and are expensive to fix. I'm sure I will switch to Honda, can't be any more trouble and a lot cheaper. Just finished a 3000 mile trip and averaged 32.2 with the automatic. I was pleased with that.