2001 BMW 3 Series Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:
Optimistic first-time owner
By cactusleaf on 02/03/14 22:31 PM (PST)

2001 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I just got a 325i with 143k miles, and I'm loving it so far. Compared to my past Saabs, this thing beats all. Super quiet, supremely comfy, surprising luxuries, and sexy to drive. Styling is essentially timeless; so simple and solid, but very thoughtful. The engine feels perfectly matched to the car, silky and on a hair-trigger. You'd never know it was sub-200hp! Handling, obviously, is absolutely superb. Mine was very well maintained before me, and the thing has held up like a new car. Interior build quality is insane. Everything works, down to the glove box flashlight. I'll report back in a few years, once I experience the inevitable ups and downs, but for now, I must say.. wonderful car.

Just Don't ... And Save Yourself Time, Money & Frustration
By kdub12 on 05/16/13 16:43 PM (PDT)

2001 BMW 3 Series Sedan 330i Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

These assessment ratings are 100% spot-on. Reliability is TERRIBLE! And honestly, why do things like door trim pieces, various buttons, and interior materials go bad also??? TERRIBLE BUILD all the way around. I have owned 5 other BMWs, all older models, that RULED! SO reliable, well built tanks, with easy repair access engine bays, lasted forever. Still have a 1980 320i and it has 279,000mi on it and still runs great! Trim pieces just don't all of a sudden pop off - because stuff ain't all made of plastic. Almost like the new pieces are purposely made to self-destruct. I can no longer recommend newer BMWs because everything is computerized, and needs a new sensor every five minutes, has random problems - like your reverse will just 'go out' whether 25K or 150K miles on the car...mine did. Found out the probs AFTER buying it. Doesn't seem to matter whether this model was babied or driven hard either. Cautionary tale... caviat emptor for sure!!! And to BMW - you now are in the lump with everyone else. No more quality. Keep you new cars. I'm going to buy a 5 series mid 80s like my mom used to drive, and now daughter has. They are great on gas, run like troopers, spacious inside, and really fairly modern considering the age - auto windows, locks, etc. I will be free once again, gone will be the days of the constant "Check Engine" light, and a simple set of tools can fix most anything.

Love/Hate
By m_n on 12/29/12 19:50 PM (PST)

2001 BMW 3 Series Sedan 330i Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Outstanding performance. 5 minutes into a drive you understand why Car and Driver has put it on their 10 best list for 22 consecutive years. Love love love the way it drives. But it is the 2nd most unreliable vehicle I've owned, next to a Mercedes E320. Water pump, vanos unit, idler pulley exploded on me, this sensor goes bad, that sensor goes bad, constant check engine lights, power steering leaks, and on, and on. And it eats rear tires. The only saving grace is this car is very easy to work on for an average mechanic. Yes, it really is. I replaced the water pump in 1 hour and I have never replaced a water pump before. Non-dealer parts for non-M cars are reasonably priced too.

Do Not Buy This Car!!!!!!!!
By kdub12 on 11/08/12 17:02 PM (PST)

2001 BMW 3 Series Sedan 330i Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Yes, I bought this car and ALL The Drama That Comes With It. This is the Worst BMW I have ever owned, and I have owned 4 others throughout the years. Sadly, I could not recommend any current BMW based on this one, as unfair as that may be. I bought this less than 1 year ago and 4 mos later, started dumping in money. The 'check engine light' comes on about every 1-2 months. I have had to replace all 4 oxygen sensors to the tune of $800+, new trans. cause the 'reverse' went out (inherent problem whether 27 or 150,000mi. I found out. All new tires, for various reasons, now needs an air flow sensor, hopefully all.

Problems consistently
By moras on 10/31/12 07:49 AM (PDT)

2001 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

The front plate of the BMW was damaged with the outside temperature sensor after 3 months. BMW refused to replace on warranty. The generator failed, the bolts on the underpart of the car were replaced at a cost of $250 within 3 years and no warranty. Note I had the extended warranty purchase for 3 years. Generator replaced after 5 years. Oil leaks valve gasket cover replaced by dealer yet the oil leaks are from the hoses and oil filter area which was not replaced. Total amount spent is 5K which I have not spent with an American car driven to 170M miles.

I Wanted to Like but...
By butterflyp on 08/08/12 13:44 PM (PDT)

2001 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I would not recommend buying this car unless you have a warranty and an extra car. I have had this car 4 years and spent over $8k on repairs. Window regulators, water pump which took out the idler, drive belt, alternator and power steering, many gaskets. Covers for the side view mirror blew off while driving and the other detached itself somehow. Driver's side door leaks. Headliner is loose. The leather around the passenger door speakers is coming loose. The ac stopped blowing air shortly after the driver side window stopped working. Twice I've had a major stall in the fast lane on the frwy AND as if the car was finally ashamed if what is , the BMW emblem on the hood fell off!!

Fabulous Buy
By ptarmigan on 02/10/12 08:32 AM (PST)

2001 BMW 3 Series Sedan 330xi AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought my 330xi over 11 years ago and now have 110,000+ miles with it (still without having to replace brake pads!). Most recently I put Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires on it which improves its already impressive handling in bad weather. It's incredibly fun to drive and has been relatively economical to maintain.

BEST car I have owned!
By cathomp5 on 01/21/11 08:50 AM (PST)

2001 BMW 3 Series Sedan 330i Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

This car is AMAZING! I have the 330i with automatic transmission, the sport package and the premium Harman Kardon sound system(Which sounds like a movie theatre in your car). I've had the car a little over a year and bought it with aprox. 93,000 miles. The exterior styling is timeless, the interior is of higher quality materials and the engine and body are very solid. Only thing I would change is the window up and down assembly inside the doors. They seem to break easily, which I've read in other reviews. Other than that I've been very happy with this car and will probably purchase another one when the time comes.

Great Car!
By chamoh78 on 10/25/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 BMW 3 Series Sedan 330i Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

This was a very used car when I got it. I purchased the vehicle with approx. 90K knowing that BMW is of higher quality and the car would last longer than most. The 100K service wasn't cheap, but I knew this before I bought the car. This is my first Bimmer and it certainly won't be my last. I may never own another brand, unless I want a truck...

Had it for 10 years and 150K miles later
By Beamer family on 09/30/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 BMW 3 Series Sedan 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

and still drives great! We bought our BMW 10 years ago at 40K miles from a friend. Since we have owned it, we have been in a couple of fender benders, got paint splashed on it, and now the power windows are going out but the original transmission still drives like the first day we bought it and very strong! You feel the difference in a BMW vs. say a Lexus or any other Japanese car! It hugs the road and you are total control of your car. We're expecting to get another 50K miles on it and plan to hand it down to our son then we are upgrading to a 330 convertible.