Used 2001 BMW 3 Series 330Ci Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

330 Ci Bought Based on Reviews Here
By taggart01

2001 BMW 3 Series Coupe 330Ci Rwd 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought my '01 with 124k on it back in '08 based on a bulk of the reviews from this site and research I've done from other sites. Sure you're going to find people that complain that things went wrong but I was thinking of a used car with a lot of miles. I've replaced control arm bushings, water pump, coolant resevoir, valve cover gasket. I learned how to do most of the work myself so the cost is minimal and at times the work enjoyable/rewarding. Expensive to maintain? Sure as with ANY car if you take it to the dealers. If you're looking for low maintenance neither this car nor ANY used car is it. Leasing is your option.

5.5 years ok to review now
By cj

2001 BMW 3 Series Coupe 330Ci Rwd 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

purchased with 15k miles on her. First of all dealer maintenance is costly. I have learned to do a lot of diy jobs and that makes the cost of ownership reasonable. handles great and engine smooth as silk. the car has never let me down but i do all the recommended service. gas mileage on the highway gets me 30-31mpg.Many of these e46 models on the market now are worth more than they are selling for. bmws just do not hold there value well these days. My car runs as well as the day i purchased it and nothing leaks and for a 9 year old car with 125k i am happy. I gave reliability an 8 and not higher because i do a lot of preventative maintenance.

Favorite Features

smooth engine. glued to the road. classy sporty look.

Suggested Improvements

well today i would ask for some more hp. sad that my wife's 2010 rav4(6 cylinder) is just as quick if not quicker.

2001 BMW 330Ci
By fb

2001 BMW 3 Series Coupe 330Ci Rwd 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Bought the car in 6/04 when it had 41k miles. Engine has always performed flawlessly. I have the 5 speed manual and it has always been extremely smooth and fun to drive. The car though has consistently had minor cosmetic problems and once these cars have over 80K miles they are VERY expensive to have serviced. Once you pass 100k miles a lot of stuff has to replaced and in my case it's all come up at the same time. With the repair costs approaching half the value of the car, I'm not sure if I want to hang on to it. I still love BMW but whenever I get another one, it will be a new model on a lease so that maint will be covered. Stay away from late model units... too expensive to maintain!

Favorite Features

Acceleration, handling, interior/exterior build quality, consistency in performance.

Suggested Improvements

Hard to think of b/c mine is so old (2001) and the newer models are greatly improved. Maybe make the car easier & cheaper to service, that would be helpful.

DON'T DO IT !
By TonyRock

2001 BMW 3 Series Coupe 330Ci Rwd 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

The car is nice looking and fun to drive but if you expect it to be quality you are dead wrong. My coolant tank bursed after 100K which caused my head gasket to break and now the care is basically worthless. If you want to drive this car for a few years and have fun fine. But I wouldn't hold it after 70K miles! Little things go on it all the time. BMW is over rated!

Favorite Features

Handling.

Suggested Improvements

Parts, quality.

Check before you buy
By hadjistefcho

2001 BMW 3 Series Coupe 330Ci Rwd 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I got it used at 69000 miles. Amazed by low end torque, but annoyed by DSC intervention at quick take offs. Engine sounds nice even at high rpm, exhaust as well all the time. Quiet and comfortable ride. Nice and precise handling all the time. Lots of available upgrades for power, styling and suspension, although most are gimmicks. The car is fun as she is, but supercharger will make her a beast. On the bad side: door and window trims loosen and need to be glued over and over. Stalls due to needed software update. Control arms and bushings need replacement after 70000 miles. Sunroof shade fixed due to poor materials used. Snow tires are a must in snow. High maintenance unless DIY.

Favorite Features

Power at first and second gear. Precise manual shifts and stick shift feel. It has a spring that returns the stick back to neutral. Very addictive engine sound. When not listening to the engine, audio systems is a nice alternative.

Suggested Improvements

I can't think of any. If you want more power, get E46 M3 or install upgrades. If you want more luxury and room, buy 5 or 7 series. If you are annoyed by entry/exit the car purchase sedan version. I am so sorry that I sold her. The car handled exactly the way I wanted her to.