Used 2001 BMW 3 Series 325Ci Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 BMW 3 Series Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

great car to have for a short time.
By sadiej

2001 BMW 3 Series Coupe 325Ci Rwd 2dr Coupe (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I have had this car for 5 years now and it has honestly been amazing, until recently. I always have done all regular maintenance, such as oil changes… etc. Ive also always had it repaired at Euro auto shops. This car was cheap to purchase and can be cheap to maintain, just as long as you GET RID OF IT when it hits between 150-160k miles. Now at around 170k miles it has been in the shop every other month and spent $6000 in the past 5 months, after being every fixed the body shop says it should be good for a year, but a month later something randomly breaks. There hasn't even been any warnings that it would break down… again.

Handles amazing. Fun to drive. Can get descent gas milage. Perfect for road trips. Really comfortable, even though it is a little small. Has been a great car, I just wish it didn't have to end like this.

I wish it would last longer. It currently doesn't run, and i can't afford to put anymore money into it. The reason why i put so much money and kept it for so long is because BMW HAD a good reputation. Everyone told me this car would last forever, but it hasn't:( NOT RELIABLE!

Good Reliable Car
By mzurada

2001 BMW 3 Series Coupe 325Ci Rwd 2dr Coupe (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I really enjoy my BMW. The coupe is one of the most aesthetically pleasing cars to look at and I wouldn't change a thing when it comes to styling. The sports seats are firm and fantastically comfortable -- my back gets really sore from bad car seats and these are good enough to drive 12 hours a day. My car has a sports suspension which gives it superb handling but the automatic transmission makes my 325 a little underpowered so if you are into speed get the stick. The fuel economy in mixed city/highway driving is only about 22 mpg which is probably average for a car of this age with this type of performance characteristics.

Seats, handling, looks

No major gripes but the fake wood looks out of place and the automatic transmission can be sluggish if not pushed.

325Ci, fun but not cheap
By killorhome

2001 BMW 3 Series Coupe 325Ci Rwd 2dr Coupe (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Right from start of ownership, several trips to shop (moonroof, front passenger seat, trunk lock, body molding, O2 sensor) thank good covered by new car warranty. Car not aging well. While still looks & drives great, several sensors (MAF,PCV & steering angle) all have gone bad within 1 year. Total expected cost $1600! Not to mention several interior trim pieces (C-pillar liner, both driver/passenger window moldings & the gear shift knob are either broken or falling off!!) I got a feeling I'm getting ready for a major break down & it might be time to sell.

Driving performance. Meant to put to the test. I love taking this car on any twisty road. This car makes me a much better/more confident driver. Also exterior styling still turns heads wherever I go.

Better reliability. Not exactly Ford territory but definately expected more from a BMW. Parts & service are simply way over priced.

2001 BMW 325ci
By PatrickB

2001 BMW 3 Series Coupe 325Ci Rwd 2dr Coupe (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

This has been a great vehicle to own and drive. It is extremely fun to drive and has been very reliable especially considering it is a European sports car. One of the only places it suffers is in fuel economy which is none the less good for the class of vehicle. I highly recommend buying this car and trust me, the 325ci does not want for power and it is not necessary to buy the more expensive 330ci. I must include a word of caution. Since it is a rear wheel drive car, sometimes it can be harder to drive on snow and ice than a front wheel or all wheel drive car. BMW has an absolutely amazing product. Test drive one and see what a great all around car it is.

I love the rain sensing windshield wipers and the mirrors that dim when someone behind you has their brights on (bear in mind these are available in the premium package.) The Harmon Kardon stereo is also fantastic and the flashlight that charges itself in the glove box is handy.

I think this car is a great car overall but when the roads are snowy and icy, the rear wheel drive simply does not fare as well as all wheel or front wheel drive. Also, the fuel economy is not the absolute greatest but it is not bad. (22/29 or so).

I Miss My BMW
By Miss my BMW

2001 BMW 3 Series Coupe 325Ci Rwd 2dr Coupe (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I just sold my 325Ci a week ago and miss it every day (2nd baby just arrived). What a great car! My fuel mileage was 34 (hwy + 5-speed trans), wonderful ride and better handeling. Very comfortable seats with the sport package. I think the tool kit and built in flash light are great.

Handling, exterior design, automatic windows (they go up too). Exterior design. Fuel mileage.

Interior storage places are limited. Would like to be able to lock the car with the drivers door still open (like to get out, lock car, and put key in pocket before collecting my belongings from the car)