Used 2001 BMW 3 Series Coupe Consumer Reviews - 48 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 BMW 3 Series Coupe - Consumer Reviews

2001 BMW 3 Series Coupe

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

Great car, just need newer..........
By Judy Scroggin Updike

2001 BMW 3 Series Coupe 330Ci Rwd 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Still love the car, but its getting a bit old and so am I. Think I need a newer model for safety.........

great car to have for a short time.
By sadiej

2001 BMW 3 Series Coupe 325Ci Rwd 2dr Coupe (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I have had this car for 5 years now and it has honestly been amazing, until recently. I always have done all regular maintenance, such as oil changesÂ… etc. Ive also always had it repaired at Euro auto shops. This car was cheap to purchase and can be cheap to maintain, just as long as you GET RID OF IT when it hits between 150-160k miles. Now at around 170k miles it has been in the shop every other month and spent $6000 in the past 5 months, after being every fixed the body shop says it should be good for a year, but a month later something randomly breaks. There hasn't even been any warnings that it would break downÂ… again.

Handles amazing. Fun to drive. Can get descent gas milage. Perfect for road trips. Really comfortable, even though it is a little small. Has been a great car, I just wish it didn't have to end like this.

I wish it would last longer. It currently doesn't run, and i can't afford to put anymore money into it. The reason why i put so much money and kept it for so long is because BMW HAD a good reputation. Everyone told me this car would last forever, but it hasn't:( NOT RELIABLE!

330 Ci Bought Based on Reviews Here
By taggart01

2001 BMW 3 Series Coupe 330Ci Rwd 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought my '01 with 124k on it back in '08 based on a bulk of the reviews from this site and research I've done from other sites.
Sure you're going to find people that complain that things went wrong but I was thinking of a used car with a lot of miles. I've replaced control arm bushings, water pump, coolant resevoir, valve cover gasket. I learned how to do most of the work myself so the cost is minimal and at times the work enjoyable/rewarding.
Expensive to maintain? Sure as with ANY car if you take it to the dealers. If you're looking for low maintenance neither this car nor ANY used car is it. Leasing is your option.

5.5 years ok to review now
By cj

2001 BMW 3 Series Coupe 330Ci Rwd 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

purchased with 15k miles on her. First of all dealer maintenance is costly. I have learned to do a lot of diy jobs and that makes the cost of ownership reasonable. handles great and engine smooth as silk. the car has never let me down but i do all the recommended service. gas mileage on the highway gets me 30-31mpg.Many of these e46 models on the market now are worth more than they are selling for. bmws just do not hold there value well these days. My car runs as well as the day i purchased it and nothing leaks and for a 9 year old car with 125k i am happy. I gave reliability an 8 and not higher because i do a lot of preventative maintenance.

smooth engine. glued to the road. classy sporty look.

well today i would ask for some more hp. sad that my wife's 2010 rav4(6 cylinder) is just as quick if not quicker.

Good Reliable Car
By mzurada

2001 BMW 3 Series Coupe 325Ci Rwd 2dr Coupe (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I really enjoy my BMW. The coupe is one of the most aesthetically pleasing cars to look at and I wouldn't change a thing when it comes to styling. The sports seats are firm and fantastically comfortable -- my back gets really sore from bad car seats and these are good enough to drive 12 hours a day. My car has a sports suspension which gives it superb handling but the automatic transmission makes my 325 a little underpowered so if you are into speed get the stick. The fuel economy in mixed city/highway driving is only about 22 mpg which is probably average for a car of this age with this type of performance characteristics.

Seats, handling, looks

No major gripes but the fake wood looks out of place and the automatic transmission can be sluggish if not pushed.