Used 2001 BMW 3 Series Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

Ultimate 4 place convertible
By ThosEM

2001 BMW 3 Series Convertible 330Ci Rwd 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Compared with my 1999 Sebring convertible, this car is less expensive to maintain, much more fun to drive, and far better made. Where the Sebring was soft, floppy, and squishy, the 330Ci is solid, firm, and well-damped. And an extra half liter of displacement makes a world of difference in performance. The simple instrumentation harks back to classic sports cars, and so does the hearty sound of the DOHC straight six. Even the starter sound is rapturously robust. The big sport option brakes are simply out of this world, and well worth the brake dust. My only problem in a year and 10k has been the previous owner, who trashed the wheels and control arm bushings on potholes. And what a looker!

Favorite Features

Short front overhang, muscular build, wide rear wheels, balanced road stance, controlled sport suspension, rain-sensing wipers, open alloy wheels and giant brakes, dipping right mirror, convertible top cover, fine fit and finish throughout, especially the convertible top, Xenon headlights, etc.

Suggested Improvements

Could use a compass, wheel cleaner wand for removing that brake dust, transmission fluid level dipstick. BMW could be a bit less mystical about certified parts and mechanics. Also, my warning triangle is missing ;=)

What a Thrill
By BMWNewbie

2001 BMW 3 Series Convertible 325Ci Rwd 2dr Convertible (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I purchased this car used with 70,018 miles from a reputable BMW dealer. This is my first BMW. I was skeptical buying this car with so many miles but have no regrets. Purchasing this car from a "BMW Dealer" helped ease my worries. I subsequently had the car checked by a certified BMW mechanic. The Dealer replaced the control arms, tires, brakes, and rotors. It helped that this car had only "one owner," I only replaced the thermostat at 79K miles. It was suggested I replace the overflow bottle as well before driving from Philadelphia, PA to Tulsa, OK (1300 total miles). Since then, I have driven to Philadelphia (2600 total miles) and back to Tulsa with no problems.

Favorite Features

The convertible top is the best! This is my second convertible. My first convertible was a Triumph Spitfire with a manual top. Interior is well designed and the handling is by far one of the best experience of any sports car I've driven. I love the sound of the engine when changing gears...SWEET!!!!!

Suggested Improvements

Cheaper price for the battery. I replaced the battery at 80K miles at a whopping cost of $304, Ouch!! Definitely would love the Sport Package with the boosted padded seats (heated) and HK sound system. I can do without the 17" sport tires since the ride would be not as smooth with the 15" tires.

All Beamers are fun to drive!!!
By bmwlover

2001 BMW 3 Series Convertible 330Ci Rwd 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I purchased the 330 convertible with sport and premium pkg. Love the heated seats, BMW doesn't scrimp on anything. This is my 6th one. I always buy manuals. Car has power (my last car was a Porsche) so I know what I'm talking about. Have had to replace power steering pump and the fan changes speeds at it own desire. Ice cold air conditioning when the fan decides to work. Harman Kardon sound system. Top goes up and down quickly and effortlessly. Not as solid as my previous 5 series but safe, beautiful, and a blast to drive top up or down. 21 mpg city and I drive hills daily. Uses 1 qt. synthetic oil every other tank of gas. BMW says this is normal but expensive and excessive,

Favorite Features

Handling, acceleration and braking. Like all BMWs fun to drive

Suggested Improvements

Fix oil burning. No more fan problems.

Most fun and comfortable to drive.
By Edward

2001 BMW 3 Series Convertible 325Ci Rwd 2dr Convertible (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Best handling car and most comfortable to sit in for long drives that I have ever owned (including Lexus, Benz, and Toyota). Most costly I've ever owned to maintain other than Benz.

Favorite Features

Convertible top, handling on curves outstanding, acceleration, and THE quietest convertible on the market; I've been in noiser sedans (wind, etc.).

Suggested Improvements

It's the little electrical and mechanical flaws that happen that cause a high cost of ownership and aggravation or I would have given the car all 10s.

Best Ragtop For The Money
By ElectricCatfish

2001 BMW 3 Series Convertible 330Ci Rwd 2dr Convertible (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

After being a loyal Jag owner I went back to Bavaria and I'm not disappointed. After spending time in numerous droptops ranging from the cramped Boxster to the ample powered XK8 I stumbled upon an 01 330CiC with 40k on the clock and ohhhh was I ever sold after the initial test drive. The build quality is incredible (far above the XK) and the performance is all there (I can't imagine this car with the M engine). The top drops with the push of a button and is silky smooth. The premium/sport options give you all the luxuries you want: xenons, hotseats and H/K audio for starters and interior noise is deathly quiet even at 100. There simply isn't a more perfect ragtop under $30k.

Favorite Features

Performance & handling! Interior room and quality (I'm 6'2" and can crawl around detailing with the top up without complaints). Sport and Premium Packages complete the masterpiece. Ease of use of audio/climate control, Incredible lack of interior noise for a convertible.

Suggested Improvements

Make 18" wheels standard and throw in a mesh windscreen from the factory and perfection is achieved. That's about it for now. I could grumble about expensive service fees but I consider it a membership fee of the "My Car Will Not Be Lost In a Mall Parking Lot" club.