2001 BMW 3 Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:
Fabulous Buy
By ptarmigan on 02/10/12 08:32 AM (PST)

2001 BMW 3 Series 330xi AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought my 330xi over 11 years ago and now have 110,000+ miles with it (still without having to replace brake pads!). Most recently I put Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus tires on it which improves its already impressive handling in bad weather. It's incredibly fun to drive and has been relatively economical to maintain.

Compromises with Few Compromises
By VA22204guy on 11/21/06 09:28 AM (PST)

2001 BMW 3 Series 330xi AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Purchased this car with 44k miles. Has nearly every option available (sport pkg, xenon, winter, auto). Little did I know how expensive the 50k mi checkup would be $1,400! In addition, I had to replace all four wheels/tires with the horrible Wash, DC potholes. Stuck with the OEM Contis -- mediocre but not too expensive. So, I found the secret to keeping the tires/rims OK: Inflate to 38psi. That stopped the sidewall bubbles and I haven't had a rim problem since (except for my poor parking skills). Since the $1,400 job (two years ago), no major issues. Gas mileage isn't great (city+hwy ~21avg). The best small car I will ever own! Love the AWD, handling, engine, power. A handsome car.

Best car I have ever owned!!
By Cary A. Storchan on 06/08/06 08:24 AM (PDT)

2001 BMW 3 Series 330xi AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Before I leased this car in 2001, I had driven much larger sedans, (Audi, Acura, Infiniti) and never considered a much smaller car. That is until I drove the BMW 330xi. I bought the car in 2004 when it came off lease and have continued to enjoy as much as the first time I drove it. I have enhanced it's performance with several Dinan add-ons. and it performs like a bat out of hell. Other than routine maintenance, and the addition of the Dinan equipment, the car has not required any service. The AWD feature is a great in the winter, in the rain, on the highways and on the track. Most of driving involves road trips and I generally average almost 30 mpg. The car handles like a dream.

Fun and Reliable
By Michelle on 09/07/05 09:06 AM (PDT)

2001 BMW 3 Series 330xi AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

My 330xi is by far the best vehicle I have ever owned. Not only is it extremely safe, but it's performance and handling is better than any other car I have driven. Before purchasing, I test drove several others in this class, none of which compared to BMW.

Flawless 4 yr 330xi
By EJKrew on 03/05/05 19:54 PM (PST)

2001 BMW 3 Series 330xi AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

The car has been trouble free and a blast to drive. No need to worry about the weather ahead of you with full time AWD! Oil changes and brake fluid replacement has been all that has been needed. Rock solid, no rattles or squeaks.

Used 2001 BMW 330 XI
By Laurie on 01/31/05 18:31 PM (PST)

2001 BMW 3 Series 330xi AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

We bought this car used 2 years ago and our love affair with it has not ceased from the moment it first beautified our driveway. Fun to drive (I wanted a manual and am so pleased with the 5-speed manual on this car), great power, looks gorgeous, fantastic Harmon-Kardon stereo system (stuck in traffic? great!) and did I mention fun to drive? Also, no mechanical/reliability issues and the minor issues that have popped up were covered under BMW's used- car extended warranty.

Lemon?
By bhunter on 12/01/04 18:01 PM (PST)

2001 BMW 3 Series 330xi AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Have loved driving the car, although as mentioned previously, the sound system is lame, the defroster is 100% fullblast or nothing, and we too have had tire/wheel issues. We have had it in the shop 16 times in 3.5 years for various problems, almost every other month since we bought it.The service managers say, "It's a high performance vehicle", to which I reply,"It's a high maintenance vehicle." What about that famous engineering? I'd never buy another, it's not that fun, and the reality is, most driving is commuting in heavy traffic, little chance to enjoy the performance within.

low profile tires
By burtlin on 12/11/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 BMW 3 Series 330xi AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

two blow outs on sidewalls within past 6 months - very frightening. low profile tires on sport package {330ix) a definite hazzard in the western hill country on Massachusetts.I will not buy another bmw with these type of thin sidewalls. it is best handling auto as well as most uncomfortable. Car radio (premium) just awfull. no range and difficult to use without taking eyes off the road. Otherwise car just fine,

BMW330xi2001
By C H Smith on 10/08/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 BMW 3 Series 330xi AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

performed well in heavy snow and ice

Best urban luxury car in the Northeast.
By jdevoy on 08/05/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 BMW 3 Series 330xi AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I've decided to buy out the lease on my 330xi because there is not a better car on the market in terms of: ability to drive and park in the city, handle snow storms, tear up the road on long trips. If you leave in the Northeast, and want to drive a sport sedan, this car combines the best of every world.