Used 2001 BMW 3 Series 330i Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

Just Don't ... And Save Yourself Time, Money & Frustration
By kdub12

2001 BMW 3 Series 330i Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

These assessment ratings are 100% spot-on. Reliability is TERRIBLE! And honestly, why do things like door trim pieces, various buttons, and interior materials go bad also??? TERRIBLE BUILD all the way around. I have owned 5 other BMWs, all older models, that RULED! SO reliable, well built tanks, with easy repair access engine bays, lasted forever. Still have a 1980 320i and it has 279,000mi on it and still runs great! Trim pieces just don't all of a sudden pop off - because stuff ain't all made of plastic. Almost like the new pieces are purposely made to self-destruct. I can no longer recommend newer BMWs because everything is computerized, and needs a new sensor every five minutes, has random problems - like your reverse will just 'go out' whether 25K or 150K miles on the car...mine did. Found out the probs AFTER buying it. Doesn't seem to matter whether this model was babied or driven hard either. Cautionary tale... caviat emptor for sure!!! And to BMW - you now are in the lump with everyone else. No more quality. Keep you new cars. I'm going to buy a 5 series mid 80s like my mom used to drive, and now daughter has. They are great on gas, run like troopers, spacious inside, and really fairly modern considering the age - auto windows, locks, etc. I will be free once again, gone will be the days of the constant "Check Engine" light, and a simple set of tools can fix most anything.

Drives like a racecar, costs like one too

Too many to be realistic

Love/Hate
By m_n

2001 BMW 3 Series 330i Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Outstanding performance. 5 minutes into a drive you understand why Car and Driver has put it on their 10 best list for 22 consecutive years. Love love love the way it drives. But it is the 2nd most unreliable vehicle I've owned, next to a Mercedes E320. Water pump, vanos unit, idler pulley exploded on me, this sensor goes bad, that sensor goes bad, constant check engine lights, power steering leaks, and on, and on. And it eats rear tires. The only saving grace is this car is very easy to work on for an average mechanic. Yes, it really is. I replaced the water pump in 1 hour and I have never replaced a water pump before. Non-dealer parts for non-M cars are reasonably priced too.

Power, handling.

Everything else.

Do Not Buy This Car!!!!!!!!
By kdub12

2001 BMW 3 Series 330i Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Yes, I bought this car and ALL The Drama That Comes With It. This is the Worst BMW I have ever owned, and I have owned 4 others throughout the years. Sadly, I could not recommend any current BMW based on this one, as unfair as that may be. I bought this less than 1 year ago and 4 mos later, started dumping in money. The 'check engine light' comes on about every 1-2 months. I have had to replace all 4 oxygen sensors to the tune of $800+, new trans. cause the 'reverse' went out (inherent problem whether 27 or 150,000mi. I found out. All new tires, for various reasons, now needs an air flow sensor, hopefully all.

Even though it drives well, has great pickup and power, and looks good - all these things will fade into the recesses of your mind once you take one on. All you will see are Bills, bills and more bills. When I was looking to see what kind of tires this car came with, the very first thing I saw on a blog was "Yes, I own a 2001 330i and all the drama that comes with it". This was just on a tire site, mind you. Not a site where people are discussing problems. Sad, just plain sad. BMW wouldn't even recall the faulty and poorly produced transmission even though there were thousands of complaints.

Even if clean, it still has inherent probs. Going to get the 1980, 320 out of my backyard and fix it up. The 330i has used up all my savings. It's a total gas hog, requires the most expensive oil, and every engine warning light requires anywhere from $500-$5,000 worth of repairs. Did I say - Don't Buy This Car. Best advice I can pass along from a sad sad experience. Look cool with something else and learn from my mistakes...please!

BEST car I have owned!
By cathomp5

2001 BMW 3 Series 330i Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

This car is AMAZING! I have the 330i with automatic transmission, the sport package and the premium Harman Kardon sound system(Which sounds like a movie theatre in your car). I've had the car a little over a year and bought it with aprox. 93,000 miles. The exterior styling is timeless, the interior is of higher quality materials and the engine and body are very solid. Only thing I would change is the window up and down assembly inside the doors. They seem to break easily, which I've read in other reviews. Other than that I've been very happy with this car and will probably purchase another one when the time comes.

The Harman Kardon sound system, Heated Mirrors The small particulate matter sensor which will automatically switch to re-circulate cabin air if it detects high polution.

Window up and down assembly inside doors needs improved. Fuel Economy

Great Car!
By chamoh78

2001 BMW 3 Series 330i Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

This was a very used car when I got it. I purchased the vehicle with approx. 90K knowing that BMW is of higher quality and the car would last longer than most. The 100K service wasn't cheap, but I knew this before I bought the car. This is my first Bimmer and it certainly won't be my last. I may never own another brand, unless I want a truck...

The sport mode of the tranny. I love knowing my car will out handle most other, higher horsepower, vehicles with ease.

For some reason my back screams at me if I travel more than 100 miles at a time. I just can't get it comfortable. Lower maintenance cost.