2001 BMW 3 Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:
Just Don't ... And Save Yourself Time, Money & Frustration
By kdub12 on 05/16/13 16:43 PM (PDT)

2001 BMW 3 Series 330i Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

These assessment ratings are 100% spot-on. Reliability is TERRIBLE! And honestly, why do things like door trim pieces, various buttons, and interior materials go bad also??? TERRIBLE BUILD all the way around. I have owned 5 other BMWs, all older models, that RULED! SO reliable, well built tanks, with easy repair access engine bays, lasted forever. Still have a 1980 320i and it has 279,000mi on it and still runs great! Trim pieces just don't all of a sudden pop off - because stuff ain't all made of plastic. Almost like the new pieces are purposely made to self-destruct. I can no longer recommend newer BMWs because everything is computerized, and needs a new sensor every five minutes, has random problems - like your reverse will just 'go out' whether 25K or 150K miles on the car...mine did. Found out the probs AFTER buying it. Doesn't seem to matter whether this model was babied or driven hard either. Cautionary tale... caviat emptor for sure!!! And to BMW - you now are in the lump with everyone else. No more quality. Keep you new cars. I'm going to buy a 5 series mid 80s like my mom used to drive, and now daughter has. They are great on gas, run like troopers, spacious inside, and really fairly modern considering the age - auto windows, locks, etc. I will be free once again, gone will be the days of the constant "Check Engine" light, and a simple set of tools can fix most anything.

Love/Hate
By m_n on 12/29/12 19:50 PM (PST)

2001 BMW 3 Series 330i Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Outstanding performance. 5 minutes into a drive you understand why Car and Driver has put it on their 10 best list for 22 consecutive years. Love love love the way it drives. But it is the 2nd most unreliable vehicle I've owned, next to a Mercedes E320. Water pump, vanos unit, idler pulley exploded on me, this sensor goes bad, that sensor goes bad, constant check engine lights, power steering leaks, and on, and on. And it eats rear tires. The only saving grace is this car is very easy to work on for an average mechanic. Yes, it really is. I replaced the water pump in 1 hour and I have never replaced a water pump before. Non-dealer parts for non-M cars are reasonably priced too.

Do Not Buy This Car!!!!!!!!
By kdub12 on 11/08/12 17:02 PM (PST)

2001 BMW 3 Series 330i Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Yes, I bought this car and ALL The Drama That Comes With It. This is the Worst BMW I have ever owned, and I have owned 4 others throughout the years. Sadly, I could not recommend any current BMW based on this one, as unfair as that may be. I bought this less than 1 year ago and 4 mos later, started dumping in money. The 'check engine light' comes on about every 1-2 months. I have had to replace all 4 oxygen sensors to the tune of $800+, new trans. cause the 'reverse' went out (inherent problem whether 27 or 150,000mi. I found out. All new tires, for various reasons, now needs an air flow sensor, hopefully all.

BEST car I have owned!
By cathomp5 on 01/21/11 08:50 AM (PST)

2001 BMW 3 Series 330i Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

This car is AMAZING! I have the 330i with automatic transmission, the sport package and the premium Harman Kardon sound system(Which sounds like a movie theatre in your car). I've had the car a little over a year and bought it with aprox. 93,000 miles. The exterior styling is timeless, the interior is of higher quality materials and the engine and body are very solid. Only thing I would change is the window up and down assembly inside the doors. They seem to break easily, which I've read in other reviews. Other than that I've been very happy with this car and will probably purchase another one when the time comes.

Great Car!
By chamoh78 on 10/25/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 BMW 3 Series 330i Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

This was a very used car when I got it. I purchased the vehicle with approx. 90K knowing that BMW is of higher quality and the car would last longer than most. The 100K service wasn't cheap, but I knew this before I bought the car. This is my first Bimmer and it certainly won't be my last. I may never own another brand, unless I want a truck...

Love This Car
By Jeff on 09/06/10 18:08 PM (PDT)

2001 BMW 3 Series 330i Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I've had my 330i for 10 years and dread the day I have to give it up. I've had some minor problems, but over 6 years out of warranty I've spent less than $1,000 on repairs and maintenance. User forums have saved me considerably, e.g., found good replacement battery for $75 at Autozone; repaired runaway blower motor by replacing a resister; replaced brake pads and preserved wear sensors. The real joy is in the ride; great handling and a feel for the road you just don't find in other cars. I test drove this car down a winding road and was sold at the first hard turn and lost all my bargaining leverage when I gave a little moan of pleasure(the dealer knew what he was doing).

Can't beat the styling
By 70dave on 11/25/09 20:01 PM (PST)

2001 BMW 3 Series 330i Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Bought this car for my wife for daily commuter with approx 90k on it. Bought it for the reliability concept since we had bought my daughter a '95 325i and loved it. It has the touring and sport options. Car was in very good condition for the year and serviced regularly. So far replaced water pump, window regulator, washer fluid motor. To me these are things that commonly occur with any vehicle with this mileage and is to be expected. You can get a piece of junk with any manufacturer. This car is a blast to drive and gets 27-29 mpg to boot. Can't beat the styling and when I do get to drive it, it's usually too fast.

A beautiful friendship
By Mike Wehner on 09/02/09 10:13 AM (PDT)

2001 BMW 3 Series 330i Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Purchased CPO with 31,000 miles in 2003. Dealer maintained with 112K on the clock. Runs and drives as new. Still returns 24.7 avg city/hwy mileage. Recent tires and shocks have restored the ride quality. Engine is simply superb. Still gets compliments and turns heads. I think the secret is to keep up with the BMW recommended maintenance, don't beat the car, and to use a cover if parked outside during the work day. We liked the car so much that we went out and bought an X3 so we no longer argue about who gets the Bimmer today...

6 years later...STILL LOVE MY 330i!
By Peter Bonerz on 07/03/09 18:48 PM (PDT)

2001 BMW 3 Series 330i Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

What can I say? This 330i has been bought, paid for, and still does everything in 2009 that it did in 2003! No rattles, no performance lag, no dings, no dents. See folks, if you take care of a car - love it (as the Germans say) the car will return the love. This BMW is garage stored but driven daily. All repairs are performed as needed. In 99K miles it's needed a cam sensor, belt tensioner, 2 window regulators, and a valve cover gasket. All of the aforementioned were replaced under warranty. Tires were replaced with exact BMW spec ContiTouring (including the 5th full size spare). Mobil 1 Oil every 7500 miles. Car is a paid-off gem and looks/works in mint condition! No Civic 4 me...

Fun Reliable Performance Car
By Adrian on 12/02/08 22:43 PM (PST)

2001 BMW 3 Series 330i Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I was not sure if I was going to buy a new Japanese car or a second hand BMW. I made the right choice. Even though this one is 7 years older than a Honda Accord, it handles a lot better, more comfortable and also is still an eye catcher considering its age!! I also ended up paying only $14,000 for it. I only had one problem so far. The heater blower had a mind by itself. I researched and found out I could buy the regulator and replace it myself under the glove box. The repair shop wanted $1000 for it.. it ended up costing me $79. I love it! I am considering buying Lexus next.