2001 BMW 3 Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:
330 Ci Bought Based on Reviews Here
By taggart01 on 11/04/12 05:39 AM (PST)

2001 BMW 3 Series 330Ci Rwd 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought my '01 with 124k on it back in '08 based on a bulk of the reviews from this site and research I've done from other sites. Sure you're going to find people that complain that things went wrong but I was thinking of a used car with a lot of miles. I've replaced control arm bushings, water pump, coolant resevoir, valve cover gasket. I learned how to do most of the work myself so the cost is minimal and at times the work enjoyable/rewarding. Expensive to maintain? Sure as with ANY car if you take it to the dealers. If you're looking for low maintenance neither this car nor ANY used car is it. Leasing is your option.

5.5 years ok to review now
By cj on 10/23/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 BMW 3 Series 330Ci Rwd 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

purchased with 15k miles on her. First of all dealer maintenance is costly. I have learned to do a lot of diy jobs and that makes the cost of ownership reasonable. handles great and engine smooth as silk. the car has never let me down but i do all the recommended service. gas mileage on the highway gets me 30-31mpg.Many of these e46 models on the market now are worth more than they are selling for. bmws just do not hold there value well these days. My car runs as well as the day i purchased it and nothing leaks and for a 9 year old car with 125k i am happy. I gave reliability an 8 and not higher because i do a lot of preventative maintenance.

2001 BMW 330Ci
By fb on 02/08/09 11:32 AM (PST)

2001 BMW 3 Series 330Ci Rwd 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Bought the car in 6/04 when it had 41k miles. Engine has always performed flawlessly. I have the 5 speed manual and it has always been extremely smooth and fun to drive. The car though has consistently had minor cosmetic problems and once these cars have over 80K miles they are VERY expensive to have serviced. Once you pass 100k miles a lot of stuff has to replaced and in my case it's all come up at the same time. With the repair costs approaching half the value of the car, I'm not sure if I want to hang on to it. I still love BMW but whenever I get another one, it will be a new model on a lease so that maint will be covered. Stay away from late model units... too expensive to maintain!

DON'T DO IT !
By TonyRock on 05/09/08 12:26 PM (PDT)

2001 BMW 3 Series 330Ci Rwd 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

The car is nice looking and fun to drive but if you expect it to be quality you are dead wrong. My coolant tank bursed after 100K which caused my head gasket to break and now the care is basically worthless. If you want to drive this car for a few years and have fun fine. But I wouldn't hold it after 70K miles! Little things go on it all the time. BMW is over rated!

Check before you buy
By hadjistefcho on 03/09/08 14:00 PM (PDT)

2001 BMW 3 Series 330Ci Rwd 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I got it used at 69000 miles. Amazed by low end torque, but annoyed by DSC intervention at quick take offs. Engine sounds nice even at high rpm, exhaust as well all the time. Quiet and comfortable ride. Nice and precise handling all the time. Lots of available upgrades for power, styling and suspension, although most are gimmicks. The car is fun as she is, but supercharger will make her a beast. On the bad side: door and window trims loosen and need to be glued over and over. Stalls due to needed software update. Control arms and bushings need replacement after 70000 miles. Sunroof shade fixed due to poor materials used. Snow tires are a must in snow. High maintenance unless DIY.

The Ultimate Driving Experience
By fjd330Ci on 01/01/08 18:11 PM (PST)

2001 BMW 3 Series 330Ci Rwd 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this car brand new and have owned it for over 6 years. Driving this car is one of the few enjoyments of going to work in the morning. The maintenace could get expensive so I've herd, I've been working on cars as a hobby since before I could drive and do most of my own wrench turning. I've had some minor mechanical issues that are out side of the routine maintenance stuff that I was able to repair on my own. The only disappointment was the automatic transmission It needed to be replaced after a little over 100K. Lifetime fluid does not mean lifetime. I only have on regret and that is not getting the manual tranny.

I love my BMW!
By mg on 01/24/07 23:55 PM (PST)

2001 BMW 3 Series 330Ci Rwd 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I was not exactly looking to buy a BMW, but once I test drove the 330Ci, I had to have it. And I have loved every minute I have had it.

Great car to have and own!
By jtsbs119 on 08/15/06 15:04 PM (PDT)

2001 BMW 3 Series 330Ci Rwd 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I make excuses to drive my car anywhere. It has plenty of power, for normal driving that is. The looks are great and the 330Ci draws a lot of attention. I have never had anything go wrong with the car and don't expect to either. My only complaint is the dealership, the two that I have to go to are pretty snobby and since I look so young I must not be worth helping. If you are considering buying one, make sure you have the sport and premium package.

2001 330ci
By benitocellini on 07/27/06 10:41 AM (PDT)

2001 BMW 3 Series 330Ci Rwd 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

This car is still a hoot to drive and it still gets envious stares after more than six years. Seems quite quick, stops on a dime and corners with ease (I can't get the tires to squeal). Very hard to fault it in any way. I'm thinking about moving up to a Jag XK or BMW 650, for highway comfort, but I'll miss the agility and easy parking.

The Best Car I've Ever Owned
By David on 11/09/05 18:20 PM (PST)

2001 BMW 3 Series 330Ci Rwd 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I've had this car for 2 months and I can honestly say it's the greatest. The performance, engineering, and looks are second-to-none. I've never had so many compliments from total strangers, which really makes me feel good. I've had absolutely no problems with the car since I've had it. The only downside might be the high-cost maintenance procedures. I can do them myself, but if they are done by the dealership, prices are quite high. If you can bleed brakes and change brake pads, change hoses and flush coolant, and change engine belts, then you'll have no problem with this car. Buy a manual, and you'll be fine.