Used 2001 BMW 3 Series 330Ci Consumer Reviews - 28 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 BMW 3 Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

Great car, just need newer..........
By Judy Scroggin Updike

2001 BMW 3 Series 330Ci Rwd 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Still love the car, but its getting a bit old and so am I. Think I need a newer model for safety.........

330 Ci Bought Based on Reviews Here
By taggart01

2001 BMW 3 Series 330Ci Rwd 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought my '01 with 124k on it back in '08 based on a bulk of the reviews from this site and research I've done from other sites.
Sure you're going to find people that complain that things went wrong but I was thinking of a used car with a lot of miles. I've replaced control arm bushings, water pump, coolant resevoir, valve cover gasket. I learned how to do most of the work myself so the cost is minimal and at times the work enjoyable/rewarding.
Expensive to maintain? Sure as with ANY car if you take it to the dealers. If you're looking for low maintenance neither this car nor ANY used car is it. Leasing is your option.

5.5 years ok to review now
By cj

2001 BMW 3 Series 330Ci Rwd 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

purchased with 15k miles on her. First of all dealer maintenance is costly. I have learned to do a lot of diy jobs and that makes the cost of ownership reasonable. handles great and engine smooth as silk. the car has never let me down but i do all the recommended service. gas mileage on the highway gets me 30-31mpg.Many of these e46 models on the market now are worth more than they are selling for. bmws just do not hold there value well these days. My car runs as well as the day i purchased it and nothing leaks and for a 9 year old car with 125k i am happy. I gave reliability an 8 and not higher because i do a lot of preventative maintenance.

smooth engine. glued to the road. classy sporty look.

well today i would ask for some more hp. sad that my wife's 2010 rav4(6 cylinder) is just as quick if not quicker.

2001 BMW 330Ci
By fb

2001 BMW 3 Series 330Ci Rwd 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Bought the car in 6/04 when it had 41k miles. Engine has always performed flawlessly. I have the 5 speed manual and it has always been extremely smooth and fun to drive. The car though has consistently had minor cosmetic problems and once these cars have over 80K miles they are VERY expensive to have serviced. Once you pass 100k miles a lot of stuff has to replaced and in my case it's all come up at the same time. With the repair costs approaching half the value of the car, I'm not sure if I want to hang on to it. I still love BMW but whenever I get another one, it will be a new model on a lease so that maint will be covered. Stay away from late model units... too expensive to maintain!

Acceleration, handling, interior/exterior build quality, consistency in performance.

Hard to think of b/c mine is so old (2001) and the newer models are greatly improved. Maybe make the car easier & cheaper to service, that would be helpful.

DON'T DO IT !
By TonyRock

2001 BMW 3 Series 330Ci Rwd 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

The car is nice looking and fun to drive but if you expect it to be quality you are dead wrong. My coolant tank bursed after 100K which caused my head gasket to break and now the care is basically worthless. If you want to drive this car for a few years and have fun fine. But I wouldn't hold it after 70K miles! Little things go on it all the time. BMW is over rated!

Handling.