2001 BMW 3 Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:
1st timer
By rblaisdell on 07/28/14 18:39 PM (PDT)

2001 BMW 3 Series 325xi AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Must say i have a 2001 325xi and it delivers! It currently has just under 270000 miles with the original clutch. The power train purrs and while not at 200 ponies it performs. Yes I have the check engine light issues and the BMW plastics are horrendous,but it is a blast to drive. This was my 1st BMW and even though I have sunk about 800 into it in the last 2years it is worth it. If you go with quality non BMW parts to replace worn parts do so and enjoy the ride.

2001 bmw 325xi leaks alot
By leaks alot on 04/11/09 11:55 AM (PDT)

2001 BMW 3 Series 325xi AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I have owned a bmw 325xi since 2001. The car handles great but is very expensive to maintain. I have had all four doors leak. Fixing the vapor barriers on the doors still does not solve the problems. Rust will start to appear on body around the lower doors from a break in the seal that covers the weld along the edge. Rust also appears on the metal lip that is below the door edge and above the plastic trim. Rust will also break out below the trunk bottom lip. Rust will also appear on the trunk lip below the classic kidney bean intakes. I have had to replace three power window motors I think because of water leaking into the door.

2001 BMW 325xi
By jeremypresnell on 12/23/08 11:38 AM (PST)

2001 BMW 3 Series 325xi AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Was a little afraid of purchasing this car up front based on what I have heard from other people about BMW's having bad electrical problems, etc. This car has been a very reliable car. No major work other than front CV joints at 110k miles, and front rocker arms at 120k miles. Other than that car has had very minor work... things like thermostat, rear brakes, and front window motor. Car actually gets about 25 mpg, not 20 which is what everywhere has it rated as. Vehicle is expensive to work on but rarely needs work. Not fast by any means but handles amazing. Mine is a manual transmission as well.

good car
By coupequattro on 02/17/06 13:57 PM (PST)

2001 BMW 3 Series 325xi AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

The car is fun to drive. Handles well in dry summer driving. I'm not impressed with the all wheel drive in DSC mode. My 1990 Coupe Quattro could run circles around the 325xi in snow. With the DSC shut off the car is very unsafe unless you have a good snow tire on it. I also removed the CDV which made a HUGE difference in clutch/shifting performance. If you have a manual get rid of the CDV and save your clutch... I also don't believe in the 15ooo mile oil service. Take oil filler cap on your valve cover after 7k miles and look at the yellow and white sludge in there... Change the oil every 2500-3000 miles and you will not see that build up. If buying used have the car inspected at indep. shop

Rocky start
By r11rs on 10/08/05 18:35 PM (PDT)

2001 BMW 3 Series 325xi AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

This is my 4th BMW in 25 yrs, and by far the worst. Everyone claims this is a 'tight handling car'...I simply don't understand how anyone can say that. Compared to BMWs of the past, this handles like an Oldsmobile! Its so loose, that it is pathetic. The design of the car lends itself to very poor visibility. The blind spots are terrible. Within the first 6 months of ownership, the car broke down 2x, with the same problem (bad auxiliary fan). BMW was difficult to deal with during these problems. Otherwise, reliability is fine.

a winner
By RH on 12/02/04 17:34 PM (PST)

2001 BMW 3 Series 325xi AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I have never driven a 'tighter' vehicle in all of my driving years (40 years+). I am impressed with everything about this vehicle...from the design to the power and added amenities. It is a 'fun' drive. The only issue that I unwittingly experienced was the 'service engine soon' light coming on unexepectedly once. For fear of causing damage, I immediately called the dealer. They suggested that I probably didn't put the gas cap back on correctly after a recent gas fill. They were right...a simple fix. I love the car and will buy again.

poor quality windows
By martyd on 10/16/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 BMW 3 Series 325xi AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Bought it through euro program (excellent option). Love to drive this car, but quality could be improved. It's great in the snow/ice - better than most SUVs. Driver side window motor failed soon after warranty expired. Already have full new set of brakes at 60k miles for $1100. Love only needing oil service every 15000. Fits family of four quite well with good trunk space.

BMW AWD Wagon
By Matthew456 on 10/08/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 BMW 3 Series 325xi AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

The all-wheel drive wagon is a great car. You don't see a ton of them on the roads, but that's a good thing in this day and age where everyone has the same maroon ford expedition. It is an absolute monster in snow and ice. The X system teamed with the DSC's ability to manage the anti-lock brakes one at a time for "zero-yaw" means you go exactly where you want to go in bad conditions. We went all over the Alps and US Rockies for three years in it. Holds a lot of gear in the back, but still looks and drives like a performance sedan... but with really good mileage. We've gotten ~23 city and 30 highway. Buy one if you can find one.

My car
By admin1 on 04/15/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

I looooooooove my car!

Shop Visitor
By TGL on 01/06/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 BMW 3 Series 325xi AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

The BMW 325xi is a well-built, sporty, exceptionally-handling vehicle. It's fun to drive, handles well in snow and ice and very well designed. The only problems I've experienced is that it's difficult to keep out of the dealer's service department - have had many, many minor headaches, electrical bugs, warning lights, and other minor headaches.