2001 BMW 3 Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:
Cheap Materials
By Stickwithpre1991BMW on 12/03/08 21:09 PM (PST)

2001 BMW 3 Series 325i Rwd 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

My biggest complaint after wrapping up my 2 year-22k mile experience with this car is the CHEAP plastic, dye, wood, leather, and moleskin used on the interior. I take very good care of my cars with weekly cleaning, detailing. The interior on this car was literally falling apart. The dye was lifting off the plastic console pieces, arm rests on doors and other areas. The moleskin material on the windshield frame was wrinkling up. The sunroof slide was falling apart from Florida heat I think. I have owned 13 BMWs and I will certainly stick with the 1988-older 5 Series, 1991-older 3 series cars for build quality and enjoyment of owning. Not to mention they hold their value better vs. new models

2001 BMW 325i Sport Wagon
By BimmerDrvr on 06/23/07 11:42 AM (PDT)

2001 BMW 3 Series 325i Rwd 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

My E46 wagon has 108k miles and is an automatic. I have owned Audi A4 and S4 wagons prior to this. The BMW has better interior leg room and cargo room than the audi. I just made a 1600 mile trip in the BMW and averaged 31.7 MPG at average 71.3 MPH. So far the BMW has only needed basic maintenance with the exception of window motor problems (warrantied) and the rear seatbelt stuck and won't work (out of warranty). The AC evaporator also needs replacement due to a leak, but has worked flawlessly since refilling with a leak stopper. Overall the BMW is a great touring car and safe family cruiser.

Worth Every Dime
By MotoMook on 05/31/06 15:54 PM (PDT)

2001 BMW 3 Series 325i Rwd 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Having put 6-figures on both Hondas and Acuras, I was a "reluctant adopter" of the blue propeller. After my first 160,000 miles I cannot say enough about the fabled BMW experience. Not a rattle, timeless looks (IMHO) and the standard suspension splits the difference between firm and comfy brilliantly. The 6- banger is the smoothest ever and the "mere" 175 hp feels like a lot more. Durable? I hit a cow at 60 mph and drove my car home UNINJURED without ANY leaky fluids ($8000 damage). I swear by the 3 platform...

Sporty Fun for your four legged kids
By Sporty Furry Fun on 04/05/06 13:54 PM (PDT)

2001 BMW 3 Series 325i Rwd 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

This is a SPORTS WAGON at its best. It drives like a small sports car, yet has the capacity of most larger SUVs. We load our dogs and bikes for weekend camping/hikes and golfing trips. The built in pet screen is great for safety and keeping the furry snouts in the back of the car. We love this car, plan to keep it for years.

Fun family hauler
By boombatz on 03/21/06 05:20 AM (PST)

2001 BMW 3 Series 325i Rwd 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Sport / Premium package a must have! Corners on like it's reading your mind first. Immediate response from the wheel with minimal body roll & incredible balance for a wagon. For extra fun, switch off DSC & find the twistiest road around. Excellent build quality & reliability, no major problems. I use it more than my Trailblazer for family trips. Cargo area is cavernous, easily fitting a double stroller & weekend luggage for wife 2 kids & I.

W√ľnderbar!
By Tyree on 07/06/05 16:07 PM (PDT)

2001 BMW 3 Series 325i Rwd 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Wonderful car! Plan on driving the car for years to come and then upgrade to the newer E60 530xi wagon. The exterior and interior design are flawless. The last of the great 3 series. Plenty of room, great gas mileage, comfortable. Great on road trips. Maintenance is affordable when DIY. This is my 3rd BMW and currently own 2. Will continue to buy only BMW's.

Great car if you can afford it
By OhioBoy on 04/29/05 10:24 AM (PDT)

2001 BMW 3 Series 325i Rwd 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Car is fun to drive, comfortable, and good looking. I can't say enough good about this car. Little thoughtful features on the car make it fantastic to own, like the passenger rearview mirror folds down in reverse for parallel parking, there's a flashlight in the glove box charged off the car and the car comes from the factory already set up for a roof rack (my "official" BMW rack doesn't touch the paint). Big things that are nice are traction control (saved my behind in the snowy/crap weather here) & heated seats. Had to have one window motor replaced (under warranty thankfully). Maintenance is very pricey too ($800 for brakes, $100 oil change), as is the premium fuel.

Simply the Best
By Jon on 12/21/04 16:10 PM (PST)

2001 BMW 3 Series 325i Rwd 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

After driving this car for one year, I will only buy BMWs from this point on. The car is not only fun to drive, it is reliable. After owning American and Japanese cars, it is apparent that German engineering is the best. BMW's offer both performance and superior build quality. About the only problem I have experienced with this car is the scheduled maintenence indicator, which can be annoying and expensive to get rid of (you have to spend a lot at the service department or buy a service tool.) I would definitely suggest buying this car to anyone looking for a luxury/sport sedan.

Needs more power
By ken325i on 03/14/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 BMW 3 Series 325i Rwd 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

This car needs just a little more power -- 20 hp. Also, BMW does not finish the car out with the extras -- you have to pay for every little thing, like garage door opener. A car this price should include these things.

Bavarian Headache
By Kline47 on 11/21/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 BMW 3 Series 325i Rwd 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Beautiful, graceful, hard charging people mover. Ergonomics are perfect and interior finish superb. Most comfortable and fun BMW I've owned.....when it isn't in the shop. Replaced auxillary fan twice, bearings in rear wheel, front control arm, and I have to bring it in now for a faulty rear brake caliper and a loud suspension rattle. The car just broke 30000 miles. The car gets a higher overall rating from me due to fit, finish, and fun factor but reliability just is not what I know from BMW. Unfortunatley my third will be my last.