Used 2001 BMW 3 Series Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Bmw 3-series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

great car to have for a short time.
By sadiej

2001 BMW 3 Series 325Ci Rwd 2dr Coupe (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I have had this car for 5 years now and it has honestly been amazing, until recently. I always have done all regular maintenance, such as oil changes… etc. Ive also always had it repaired at Euro auto shops. This car was cheap to purchase and can be cheap to maintain, just as long as you GET RID OF IT when it hits between 150-160k miles. Now at around 170k miles it has been in the shop every other month and spent $6000 in the past 5 months, after being every fixed the body shop says it should be good for a year, but a month later something randomly breaks. There hasn't even been any warnings that it would break down… again.

Favorite Features

Handles amazing. Fun to drive. Can get descent gas milage. Perfect for road trips. Really comfortable, even though it is a little small. Has been a great car, I just wish it didn't have to end like this.

Suggested Improvements

I wish it would last longer. It currently doesn't run, and i can't afford to put anymore money into it. The reason why i put so much money and kept it for so long is because BMW HAD a good reputation. Everyone told me this car would last forever, but it hasn't:( NOT RELIABLE!

I get why they're so notoriously popular
By cactusleaf

2001 BMW 3 Series 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I feel more confident in this car's handling, safety, and build quality than I've felt with any other car I've driven, even much newer cars. It's like a suit that's been tailored to your every curve and line and fits like a glove. Nothing is out of place. Then again, nothing is extremely endearing either. It's staid and true, if a little conservative. But damn is it great! Despite its age, everything works and it feels like a car that's been around only a few years. Its timeless styling still holds up on a road full of cars 10-15 years newer; you'd never know it was designed last century. Its faults are few, some significant, but none deal-breaking. Dat engine tho! My God, that engine.

Favorite Features

Way too much to list here. The overall feel while driving is absolutely unparalleled. It feels like the driver's experience was engineered as much as the car itself. The comfort of the seats, the layout of the interior, the feel and spacing of the pedals, the tightness of the steering. It's a real driver's car, as they say. The build quality is insane. My interior all works and feels tight and like new. The heated seats are quick and get surprisingly toasty if desired. The engine stands out: torquey, straight, smooth, powerful, controllable, and efficient. Sounds great too. I get 31mpg highway and 23 city, despite it being a 6-cyl. Sound system is great. Gearing and clutch are great.

Suggested Improvements

The good outweigh the bad quite a bit with this car, but there are some things. The sunroof shade is notoriously shoddy, and mine is off its track (but still works just fine). The engine has a problem in very cold weather where the oil lines freeze up and clog the oil vent with ice, causing oil blowback and major engine problems...happened to me. BMW put out a replacement crankcase vent system, but who knows how effective it is. The traction control is great, but still, winter driving can be a nightmare in the RWD. One engineering decision baffles me to no end: why do I have to pull the door handle twice to get out? One pull unlocks, another opens. No biggie, just odd. Overall, excellent!!

1st timer
By rblaisdell

2001 BMW 3 Series 325xi AWD 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Must say i have a 2001 325xi and it delivers! It currently has just under 270000 miles with the original clutch. The power train purrs and while not at 200 ponies it performs. Yes I have the check engine light issues and the BMW plastics are horrendous,but it is a blast to drive. This was my 1st BMW and even though I have sunk about 800 into it in the last 2years it is worth it. If you go with quality non BMW parts to replace worn parts do so and enjoy the ride.

Favorite Features

The handling and performance and for an all wheel drive it gets decent fuel economy.

Suggested Improvements

Better plastics and lower the cost of oem parts, come on BMW your competition has you beat here

Optimistic first-time owner
By cactusleaf

2001 BMW 3 Series 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I just got a 325i with 143k miles, and I'm loving it so far. Compared to my past Saabs, this thing beats all. Super quiet, supremely comfy, surprising luxuries, and sexy to drive. Styling is essentially timeless; so simple and solid, but very thoughtful. The engine feels perfectly matched to the car, silky and on a hair-trigger. You'd never know it was sub-200hp! Handling, obviously, is absolutely superb. Mine was very well maintained before me, and the thing has held up like a new car. Interior build quality is insane. Everything works, down to the glove box flashlight. I'll report back in a few years, once I experience the inevitable ups and downs, but for now, I must say.. wonderful car.

Favorite Features

The interior is just so solid. It hugs you without being too clingy. The heated seats are phenomenal.. toasty from shoulders to knees! The engine fires up in like two quick cranks and feels like a Beethoven symphony. The growl of the inline-6 is very refined, and just enough to let you know it's a 6. The clutch is light but still provides decent feedback. The layout of the interior is perfect, especially the armrest-shifter configuration. One-touch windows, all of 'em, up AND down! The lighting inside is fantastic, especially when you find the hidden orange glow that shines onto the center console! Exterior looks are just classic.. the car looks so stable. Not aggressive, but confident.

Suggested Improvements

The only thing I can find to dislike so far is the shifter. It feels excellent half the time, but can be unexpectedly notchy. And two annoying things: getting into fifth, and getting into reverse. Both require a surprising bit of effort. Fifth is very tough to get into the first time after starting off, but seems to be fine after that. But reverse is just a bear.. gotta really brute-force the thing over. Maybe that's just my shifter, but if it's by design, it's a bit much. I understand why reverse has to be difficult to get to, but it could just have a lock-out or something instead of incredible resistance. Fifth, though, should be easier. Maybe my synchro is getting worn, I'm not sure yet.

Just Don't ... And Save Yourself Time, Money & Frustration
By kdub12

2001 BMW 3 Series 330i Rwd 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

These assessment ratings are 100% spot-on. Reliability is TERRIBLE! And honestly, why do things like door trim pieces, various buttons, and interior materials go bad also??? TERRIBLE BUILD all the way around. I have owned 5 other BMWs, all older models, that RULED! SO reliable, well built tanks, with easy repair access engine bays, lasted forever. Still have a 1980 320i and it has 279,000mi on it and still runs great! Trim pieces just don't all of a sudden pop off - because stuff ain't all made of plastic. Almost like the new pieces are purposely made to self-destruct. I can no longer recommend newer BMWs because everything is computerized, and needs a new sensor every five minutes, has random problems - like your reverse will just 'go out' whether 25K or 150K miles on the car...mine did. Found out the probs AFTER buying it. Doesn't seem to matter whether this model was babied or driven hard either. Cautionary tale... caviat emptor for sure!!! And to BMW - you now are in the lump with everyone else. No more quality. Keep you new cars. I'm going to buy a 5 series mid 80s like my mom used to drive, and now daughter has. They are great on gas, run like troopers, spacious inside, and really fairly modern considering the age - auto windows, locks, etc. I will be free once again, gone will be the days of the constant "Check Engine" light, and a simple set of tools can fix most anything.

Favorite Features

Drives like a racecar, costs like one too

Suggested Improvements

Too many to be realistic