Used 2001 BMW 3 Series Consumer Reviews - 241 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 BMW 3 Series - Consumer Reviews

2001 BMW 3 Series

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

Great car, just need newer..........
By Judy Scroggin Updike

2001 BMW 3 Series 330Ci Rwd 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Still love the car, but its getting a bit old and so am I. Think I need a newer model for safety.........

My 180,000 325I
By Ashley

2001 BMW 3 Series 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this car around 170000 miles and it hasn't given me any problems. I am currently at 189,000 miles. My car is lowered on h and r, this is only where I find my problems. The engine bay is clean and it runs like a dime! Starts in the cold first turn, and is silent. Also regular ttl is performed on this car, even before I had it. This is why it is able to run problem free with quite high milage. My red leather seats are still in good condition, with no rips or scratches. And I haven't exprireneed any window problems. Only thing I dislike about the car is the handling, and it's performance in harsh weather conditions. This is expected because of its rear wheel drive system but its definetly disappointing. I just needed to share, thanks for reading!

GREAT CAR!
By JB GARRISON

2001 BMW 3 Series 325i Rwd 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Owning my 2001 325i for 8 years, 80K+ miles, only replaced battery, cooling system (just last month) and rear window motors (both in one week). But overall, GREAT! Handles very well, stops on a dime! comfort and great mileage: drive from Indy to Destin FLA only 1.5 tanks. Don't want to get rid of this beauty. Now at 120K+ miles, may sell. But do not want to.

It's a beast with feminan figure
By Baryalai Arsala

2001 BMW 3 Series 325i Rwd 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

If you know how to fix it, buy it; mechanics charge a lot.

This car is like a needy but beautiful girlfriend
By Colin

2001 BMW 3 Series 325i Rwd 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Seriously. This car needs attention. Do not buy it if you are not willing to give it attention. I'm not sure if I can make that any clearer.

I purchased this car as a graduation present to myself with money that I had saved up working throughout high school when I graduated in 2011. My dad and I are both car nerds. I wanted something that was sporty and had a manual transmission and wasn't your typical Mustang etc. I settled on this car after finding a 2001 Sedan with the manual with ~63k on it.

I will admit that the first ~20k miles were somewhat rough. We probably spent an additional $2-3k catching up on some maintenance that the previous owner had neglected to do, and the dreaded Check Engine light did come on more than I would have liked. Honestly, the vast majority of those repairs were things like oxygen sensors where we could've just fixed it ourselves and have been done with it. This car really isn't terribly hard to work on. I am no mechanic, but I've fixed quite a few things on this car, and it's saved me a ton of money. If you don't feel comfortable fixing it yourself find a good independent shop in your area. The dealer will screw you out the butt when it comes to repair costs. I will say that the car has never left me stranded, and that's not something you can say about a 2001 Mercedes. Trust me.

Like I said earlier. The car needs attention. Make sure to change its fluids and keep a watch out for weird noises, smells, and drivetrain peculiarities (read driveability issues). Doing this will eliminate over half of the possible repair scenarios people have described in these reviews. I'm quite positive that the majority of those leaving negative reviews bought an older BMW expecting it to be just as great on maintenance as a Honda. It is not a Honda; however, if you take care of this car, it will take care of you. Over the last 40k miles or so the only money I have put into this car is consumables (oil, tires, spark plugs, etc), an ignition coil ($75), power steering hoses (~$250), and a dirty injector. I would also like to point out that I would get the manual if I were looking to purchase another one of these, as there are a lot of complaints related to the automatic. The stick is way more fun, it makes the car quicker to 60 (by a full second!), and it's pretty bulletproof. Nuff said.

Now to the part about this girlfriend being beautiful, and I'm not just talking about this car's good looks. This car is THE BEST car when it comes to driving. Not even a modern BMW rivals the steering feel and handling these old E46's have. With the manual transmission this car is sublime. The 330i is comfortable, it's powerful, it handles, and it's relatively quiet. It's not a drag car, but it is amazingly well balanced and fun to drive. Relatively good gas mileage too.

In short, this car is so much fun. Sure, the interior plastics do have a tendency to be brittle after 15 years of sitting in the sun. Sure, parts are more expensive than parts for a Civic. And sure, there are cheaper cars to buy. What there aren't are better driving cars. I've had mine for four years and 60k miles, and the only car I would dream of getting rid of it for is an M3.