Used 2000 BMW 3 Series Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Bmw 3-series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

Great car but high maintenance
By Kman

2000 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328i 4dr Sedan

I do like my BMW but after 5.5 years and 70K miles the car is not what it was 3 years ago. Everything is breaking down and am having the worse time with the car. After the first 3 years itís been in the shop many times to fix all kinds of stuff. I agree that its fun to drive but with all the troubles I have been having itís not worth buying the car. If you have lots of money to waist then go ahead and buy the car else do not purchase this car.

Favorite Features

Suggested Improvements

Windows system, computer, all sensors, breaking system, stabilization system, speakers, interior trims, etc...

Fun but costly
By not a beemer fan

2000 BMW 3 Series Sedan 323i 4dr Sedan

My wife and I purchased this vehicle without knowing a lot about bmws. Several things have just somehow broken on us over the past year and for no reason at all. We have had 2 window regulators go out, 1 that needs to be replaced, and the entire "Brain" of the vehicle has malfunctioned. This is basically the computer system. No big deal, just $3k dollars. For the past 3 months it seems like it's just one thing after another. Not to mention vapor shields, a new master key ($200) and the sun roof breaking. Like the title of this review says, It is a fun car to drive, and it looks great, but have some money saved up, cause it'll cost you.

Favorite Features

manual/sport/auto transmission. Solid car, handles great, very responsive.

Suggested Improvements

the window system is terrible.

Still Fun After All These Years
By Jazman

2000 BMW 3 Series Sedan 323i 4dr Sedan

Bought my bright red 323i Sedan 4 yrs ago with 14K miles on it. The car has been a blast to drive and supremely reliable. Have 82K miles on it and just replaced the front brakes. Other than that, I have had ZERO problems with this car. The exterior paint looks new and the car still draws approving glances from passersby. I average about 28mpg and that is good news in this era of skyrocketing gas prices. I now understand why BMWs hold their value.

Favorite Features

The looks, handling, memory sport seats, and Xenon headlights.

Suggested Improvements

Even with the upgraded premium Harmon Kardon sound system, the audio is no great shakes for a car like this.

Good, Stressful 14 months of Ownership
By Zachtank

2000 BMW 3 Series Sedan 323i 4dr Sedan

Buying this car was a big step up from my 92 Honda Civic and as far as vehicular performance, I have no complaints. The fuel mileage is unparalleled for a 2.5L 6-cyl. The handling is taut, and the power is more than sufficient. There is so much fun gadgetry that you discover a new "favorite feature" every day for the first two months of ownership. When I show the car it takes an hour to cover the wonderful bits and pieces and I always forget a couple favorites. HOWEVER, I am selling it. If you're a tightwad like I am, the expensive maintenance, and more exhorbitant repairs will induce a coronary with every squeak and rattle, and in spite of it's solid feel, there are many. Too much $.

Favorite Features

Xenon makes the world light up. Logarithmic MPG gauge - so nice! Climate control with automatic recirculation. Dynamic Stability Control. Smooooooth transmission. Auto-dimming rearview. Central locks and windows W/ ONE TOUCH CLOSURE!! Base speakers are quite impressive. Mileage/HP tradeoff

Suggested Improvements

BMW is so internally focused, I actually had my car fail a BMW inspection, not because anything was WRONG but because brake pads were "aftermarket" Cost of parts, repairs, even diagnostic is insane at BMW dealer. $1000 for Water pump, thermostat, and accesories belt? Please!

5 month review
By Hootie361

2000 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328i 4dr Sedan

Time for the 5 month review. Highly recommend buying the service manual and an error-code reader ($250 total for both). My car had little things, such as bulbs, sensors, filters degrade and required replacing. These cars are CAKE to work on so long as you have the service manual. Most repairs require very basic tools and a couple hours of patience. My first winter encountered no driving problems, even on snow-covered roads. The DSC kicks in as needed to keep the vehicle from slipping, even with all- season tires. I still can't get enough of this auto...

Favorite Features

The ease of which you can work on this car. Mechanics must make a fortune off these repair jobs. This is honestly the most efficiently assembled car I've ever seen. I plan on doing my own inspections with help from the service manual.

Suggested Improvements

Turn signal bulbs require a little effort to access, as opposed to the headlight bulbs that just pop off as needed.