2000 BMW 3 Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:
Fun but flawed
By parmijo on 11/23/05 16:48 PM (PST)

2000 BMW 3 Series 323Ci 2dr Coupe

I bought this new and I only have 31K on the car now. I have the 5 speed and it is fun to drive, brakes well, handles excellent with the sport package. Gas Mileage is quite good at 25 city/hwy mix and 31 hwy. It still looks nice too. The problem is reliability. Some problems fixed under warranty but others I had to pay out of pocket. Also strange failure of the intake cam sensor which causes the car to stall at a stop. That was $300. Now the interior trim around the passenger door is falling downward. I guess I have to glue it back or something. None of the problems I had were atypical or surprising to the mechanics. If you buy one, expect extra maintenance cost as part of the deal

Back in a 3 series coupe
By Marc on 10/27/05 16:58 PM (PDT)

2000 BMW 3 Series 328Ci 2dr Coupe

My first BMW was a 325is. Now I am back in a 328ci and I love this car. I have all the bells and whistles except Nav. Bought it with 80k miles on it and it now has 98k. No problems as I am meticulous with maintaining the car. Great to drive hwy or in the twistys. Engine could use some more juice but the new cars have addressed this. BMW should drop HK as a vendor and call Bose. Love the car plan on keeping it another 100k miles. No problems and I do much of the work myself so I know when things are going wrong. Dealer is great while under warranty but find a quality local shop that you can depend on to keep cost down on maintenance.

Unreliable
By UnhappyBMWowner on 10/14/05 14:41 PM (PDT)

2000 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan

Purchased used with 33,000 miles. This is my second, and how disappointed I am. Way too many problems, with everything from the windows to the braking system, to the engine and etc. 14 trips to the dealer for repairs since 10/2003. I would never buy another, and am looking into an Audi or Mercedes. I do have to admit the the MPG is awesome, at times I have clocked 40+. BMW is not what it used to be!! BMW really needs to work on the reliability. This car is way too expensive to maintain!

Drive it
By driveithard on 09/21/05 03:48 AM (PDT)

2000 BMW 3 Series 323i 4dr Sedan

Good Car, Smooth, reliable, fun. What else is more fun to drive 4 the price? Maintain it, and drive the crap out of it and it still comes back for more....buy it, you'll like it.

Fun sporty car
By Elizabeth Morrow on 09/07/05 11:32 AM (PDT)

2000 BMW 3 Series 323Ci 2dr Coupe

This car is a lot of fun to drive. It has great power and control, nice features as well. It is somewhat expensive to maintain, but that's true for most European cars.

Great car but high maintenance
By Kman on 08/18/05 08:14 AM (PDT)

2000 BMW 3 Series 328i 4dr Sedan

I do like my BMW but after 5.5 years and 70K miles the car is not what it was 3 years ago. Everything is breaking down and am having the worse time with the car. After the first 3 years it’s been in the shop many times to fix all kinds of stuff. I agree that its fun to drive but with all the troubles I have been having it’s not worth buying the car. If you have lots of money to waist then go ahead and buy the car else do not purchase this car.

Fun but costly
By not a beemer fan on 08/07/05 14:10 PM (PDT)

2000 BMW 3 Series 323i 4dr Sedan

My wife and I purchased this vehicle without knowing a lot about bmws. Several things have just somehow broken on us over the past year and for no reason at all. We have had 2 window regulators go out, 1 that needs to be replaced, and the entire "Brain" of the vehicle has malfunctioned. This is basically the computer system. No big deal, just $3k dollars. For the past 3 months it seems like it's just one thing after another. Not to mention vapor shields, a new master key ($200) and the sun roof breaking. Like the title of this review says, It is a fun car to drive, and it looks great, but have some money saved up, cause it'll cost you.

Still Fun After All These Years
By Jazman on 07/26/05 22:40 PM (PDT)

2000 BMW 3 Series 323i 4dr Sedan

Bought my bright red 323i Sedan 4 yrs ago with 14K miles on it. The car has been a blast to drive and supremely reliable. Have 82K miles on it and just replaced the front brakes. Other than that, I have had ZERO problems with this car. The exterior paint looks new and the car still draws approving glances from passersby. I average about 28mpg and that is good news in this era of skyrocketing gas prices. I now understand why BMWs hold their value.

My Take on early E46 productions
By sheggaw on 07/08/05 11:52 AM (PDT)

2000 BMW 3 Series 323Ci 2dr Coupe

We bought this car used at 30K on it. Very good condition at the time. Several warranty works were done to it even before we had got it. Did not get that info until I took it for another warranty work. Now, transmission is out at only 64.5K on it, 2 Years after we had it. We are BMW devotees and do own other BMWs classic to modern. But this one has pushed us to the limit. To boot to that, BMW N.A is not a help at all. That 800 number is a joke, the staff is untrained & unqualified. Bottom lin is that BMW is not what it was used ot be. A car company with great reputation and great cars is in demise. No customer support, no reliable production. I will probably end up not buying another one.

One year later
By luvmysunz on 06/02/05 17:57 PM (PDT)

2000 BMW 3 Series 323iT 4dr Wagon

Bought my 323it a year ago and I love it more than the day I drove it off the lot! Best car I have ever owned..hands down. The handling in city driving can't be beat - smooth acceleration, precision steering. The ride is still quiet and in no way feels like there are 52,000 miles under its wheels. Weekend getaways are a joy. With the roof rack system we purchased for luggage carrying, it is actually more roomy inside on these trips than my 4Runner was. And the drop down separator in the back seat has been a lifesaver with two boys under 13! Love it, love it, love it.