Used 2000 BMW 3 Series Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

Long term keepsake.
By Julio M.

2000 BMW 3 Series Sedan 328i 4dr Sedan

It is expensive to maintain after the honeymoon (warranty), i.e. inspection #1, #2 and #3 and tires, oil change. Some dealers use the "access by dealer only" to sell unneeded part, plus outrageous hourly fees. I bought mine new but I would recommend to someone with a good income after 100,000 miles. Very reliable, powerful and fast on the Autobahn. Stateside a Mustang in a barn.

Favorite Features

Manual trans, power on demand. Handling. Gas mileage w/o A/C, 34 MPG. Reliability. Color: Titanium Silver.

Suggested Improvements

Should have the dealer balance and align tires before ownership. Front passenger side area should be a bit wider for big people.

Too expensive to maintain after warranty
By Calzone

2000 BMW 3 Series Sedan 323i 4dr Sedan

Nice sports sedan, lots of fun to drive in dry weather. Poor handling in snow, and very costly in repairs once the warranty expired. Several issues with AC unit, latest $1,200 for an evaporator. Real wheel spring broke after 60K miles. I am selling and getting a Honda.

Favorite Features

Solid feel in turns.

Suggested Improvements

Improve reliability.

First Ultimate driving machine - Wow!
By Anthony Greenidge

2000 BMW 3 Series Sedan 323i 4dr Sedan

Now I see what all the hoopla is about. I was warned once you drive a BMW you can never go back to anything else. Well they were absolutely correct, excellent driving car. Put 20,000 miles on it already in just 7 months. Any excuse to drive this car. Love the handling after coming from an 95 SHO Taurus. Car looks and drives just as good as my neighbors 2005 325 for $10,000 less. Can`t wait to get my 3 series convertible next summer.

Favorite Features

Excellent dash and controls layout. Central locking control system. Great gas mileage. Safety systems ie: all round airbags DSC, ABS, HPS, BAC. Just as safe as mom's Volvo but a lot more fun! Low maintenance.

Suggested Improvements

Noisy climate control fan and fresh air system.

Truly the ultimate driving machine
By Weldon L Kuretsch

2000 BMW 3 Series Sedan 323i 4dr Sedan

This is the third 3 Series BMW I have owned and each car has gotten better than the the previous one. On my first BMW maintenance was rather often and expensive. It is totally different now. Oil changes are at 15,000 mile intervals and I have had no major repairs on the car at 75,000 miles. It truly is the ultimate driving machine and I will continue to own them as long as it is possible for me to do so.

Favorite Features

Handling - the tight steering and the feel of the road.

Suggested Improvements

The driver's cockpit is somewhat limited because of the console in the middle.

Phantom Electrical Problem
By SusanU

2000 BMW 3 Series Sedan 323i 4dr Sedan

This car has been fine, but many things were fixed under warranty. I would have hated to pay for that and I was not happy with service at BMW (not the dealer at which I purchased my car), but that's another rating. Right now, there is a phantom electrical problem that causes the windshield wipers sometimes to stop working. I also noticed the door locks malfunctioned a couple of times. I have a good mechanic (ex-BMW tech from the dealer) but he said he can't locate the problem unless it stops working long enough for him to put it on the computer. So far, by the time we get there, it's started working again.

Favorite Features

I like the safety features. When we purchased, few cars had stability control and side-impact airbags.

Suggested Improvements

Better quality control is needed on the assembly of this car. Many of the problems the dealer fixed under warranty were things like windows/sunroof getting stuck.